Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Fined For Christmas Lights Decoration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way to kill the Christmas spirit po-po. Those lights aren't as distracting as police lights flashing

And shouldn't have been given a ticket for something as silly as that. Just tell him to take if off and be on your way. Or, just don't have it on while driving. Looks perfectly legal to have on while parked and not in motion.

Reminds of when this cop wrote me a ticket for having green film over my DRL's on my old Volt. Told him I can literally take them off right there and he chose to write me up. $5 mod turned into a $190 ticket rofl. Such a dick. One of those arrogant superiority complex cops, the absolute worst.

Well, the police lights flashing actually have a purpose. I agree on the ticket though, wouldn't have given one for that.

Way to kill the Christmas spirit po-po. Those lights aren't as distracting as police lights flashing

And shouldn't have been given a ticket for something as silly as that. Just tell him to take if off and be on your way. Or, just don't have it on while driving. Looks perfectly legal to have on while parked and not in motion.

Most states have laws on the books specifying safety regulations for motor vehicles that state that no lights colored anything but white or amber can show from the front of the car, and no lights colored anything but red or amber can show from the rear of the car, with the exception of backup lights (white) that are required to show on the rear when in reverse.

It's safety equipment, the same thing as having working wipers, working headlights, and working brake lights. Stopping the vehicle and issuing a citation is exactly what should happen.

Now, in most states this is not a moving violation, so there are no "points" on anyone's license, no insurance cost increase, and no conviction. In many states, this is also a "fix-it" ticket -- meaning that you show the judge that the safety violation has been corrected, and then the ticket is dismissed with no fine.

Sorry if you feel that this isn't in the "Christmas spirit", but letting these kinds of things go is exactly why the government of our country (among other institutions) is in such disarray. When you let people slide on minor stuff, then the next thing that other people try is major stuff to see if that slides as well.

I find it rather incongruous and ironic that some of the very people who want to ignore the laws in some cases are the first to chant "law and order" when it suits them.

Nevermind that police lights are MEANT to grab your attention.

Lights are carefully regulated (colors, blinking action) because they serve an important purpose of visibility and signaling intent. Having a hodgepodge of colors draped around the car flashing while in motion is...the opposite of that.

christmas-teslaweb.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC