Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 frequently starts up with T logo/no rear view cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal? Not sure what's causing this to happen (I'm going to try disconnecting my slow USB 2.0 with music/dashcam). I've had the car for about a week (MidRange model), half the time it starts up with a black screen, followed by the T logo, and then another 20 seconds for the map and rear view cam to show up.

LR RWD model here. I frequently get no response for about 5-10 seconds, then the car will let me move (only way I can tell is that the side mirrors tilt down when I try to put it in reverse).

Screen will stay black for about 30 seconds to a minute or two. Then T logo appears. The map pops up pretty shortly after the T logo appears (I'd say the normal time), but LTE and stuff doesn't register for another 20 seconds or more. I'm usually about a mile away before LTE connects.

Since the car lets me move after just a few seconds, I haven't bothered to ask the SC about it.

Definitely not normal. My screen wakes up as soon as the vehicle is unlocked, and the display of the map is almost instant. I've never had any issues with it so far, so if you're seeing different behavior you might want to schedule a visit to a SC.

Sounds unusual for a 3. Common enough on X and S. Seems like the car was sleeping and had to boot up the display computer. If the car is not sleeping everything is ready to go.

Interestingly, Tesla does not fully shutdown the main display on the Model S/X and they certainly don’t on the M3 either. When the car sleeps it basically goes into a low power mode whereby the CAN busses and most ECUs enter the power off state. Additionally, connectivity is disabled. But the Linux kernel keeps ticking away and the main display process (QtCar) continues to run.