Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Front License Plate Bracket DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured it would be relevant to post a link to an install/review I did last night on The Bandit. It's specific to the Model 3.

Just looking to get a little criticism on the video with respect to helpfulness, editing, or anything else constructive.

Please ignore the garage (in the middle of renovating) and all the bug guts. I could care less how filthy the front bumper is. I'm having way too much fun driving this P3D+

Thanks in advance,

Santa Claws

Tesla Model 3 - The Best Front Plate Bracket / Mount / Holder

Look at this thing hahah.
Nice and James Bond-ish but be very careful of parking lot bumpers and sidewalks. I went with The Bandit, mainly because it seemed to be a very simple installation and I had to correct a fix-it ticket. It was as easy to install as the OP's video shows. It has enough "give" so as to not break the grill it's mounted to but not so much that it will impact the bumper (unless it's a major collision). I was up in San Francisco last week and parked in what I thought was a fairly secure lot (Mason O'Farrell Garage). When I got back, I was greeted with this:

20181009_211819.jpg

My 3 is on the right, the Benz is on the left.

20181009_211833.jpg

Plates are "fused" together.

20181009_212104.jpg

Looks like this MB driver uses his front plate to gauge when to stop moving forward. Luckily there was no damage to my plate or car. If I didn't have the plate mounted, his car would have hit my bumper. I was totally within my parking spot; I had even moved my car back a couple of feet when I noticed it was close to the line.

When the MB hit ur plate did it damage the vents at all?

Nice and James Bond-ish but be very careful of parking lot bumpers and sidewalks. I went with The Bandit, mainly because it seemed to be a very simple installation and I had to correct a fix-it ticket. It was as easy to install as the OP's video shows. It has enough "give" so as to not break the grill it's mounted to but not so much that it will impact the bumper (unless it's a major collision). I was up in San Francisco last week and parked in what I thought was a fairly secure lot (Mason O'Farrell Garage). When I got back, I was greeted with this:

View attachment 343764

View attachment 343765

View attachment 343766

Looks like this MB driver uses his front plate to gauge when to stop moving forward. Luckily there was no damage to my plate or car. If I didn't have the plate mounted, his car would have hit my bumper. I was totally within my parking spot; I had even moved my car back a couple of feet when I noticed it was close to the line.

Plate holder is mounted to the grille that is in front of the vents, so, no, there's no damage to the vents. Nor is there any damage to the grille. There's enough flex in the grille material (plastic, I assume) that when the plate holder is pushed back several millimeters before it makes contact with the bumper, the torque applied to slightly twist the grille's horizontal slats in an upward direction is absorbed easily. Now it's possible in 10+ years if/when the plastic material becomes brittle due to aging, that might change.

The main problem with the motorized hideaway plate holder and the Sto-N-Show holder is that they're mounted to the underside of the bumper. It reduces the amount of clearance for things like concrete bumpers in parking lots and sidewalks if you park nose-in. it would be quite easy to damage the holder in those situations. Yes it's nice to be able to remove (or hide) the front plate for cosmetic reasons but that's a $100+ accident ready to happen if you're not careful.

@Santa Claws: Awesome review, thank you! @5:33, those Stainless steel collars also prevents user from completely unscrewing (so tab doesn't fall inside), and, for guiding the tab if needed to be removed (just unscrew until tab hits collar, then turn tabs horizontal)

@RayK Glad your front isn't damaged. I would imagine it would have been if plate was lower and force was directly into grill.

View attachment 343764

View attachment 343765

View attachment 343766

Old post but I just saw this. Did the fixit ticket have a fee as well or did you just have to fix it within a couple days?

Old post but I just saw this. Did the fixit ticket have a fee as well or did you just have to fix it within a couple days?
Sorry for the delayed reply... I believe it was somewhere around $30. And the sign-off took a couple of months after the infraction was issued as it took them that long to mail me all of the details for the rest of the ticket (speeding).

Sorry for the delayed reply... I believe it was somewhere around $30. And the sign-off took a couple of months after the infraction was issued as it took them that long to mail me all of the details for the rest of the ticket (speeding).
Ah damn speeding ticket plus no front license plate :/

I wonder if the cop would have pulled you over just for no front license plate.

Or is there a way to 3D print a bracket? Someone must have done this already. If so, care to share the file?

It actually exists... New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

I have... had... one for a couple months. It's fairly flexible and initially I was worried about how it would hold up to wind pressure. I had it on my car for about two months (since the car was brand new) and it worked well and was super easy to install (30 second). However, I completely forgot about it and have taken it through three automatic touchless car washes. Apparently it held up to the first two rounds but today I noticed my front plate was missing and snap plate was snapped in half. The only think I can think of is that I went through a touchless on Saturday night. It was cold out (maybe 34F) so maybe that came into play with the high pressure water, but I suspect it broke off at that point. The web site says that a touchless should be ok, but they still suggest you remove it. I've emailed them to see if they can extend any kind of discount to me if I decide to re-purchase their product once I get a new front plate and also to suggest they change the wording to more strongly warn that it is NOT safe to take it into a touchless automatic. Either way this was potentially a $120 learning/stupid mistake for me plus some hassle in getting some documents notarized before submitting them for a new front plate! That is unless I get lucky when I swing by the car was after work today to see if there is a broke off front license plate hanging out on the ground somewhere...