Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front seats vs y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are model 3 seats the same as in the Y? Or have there been updates to the structure of M3 seats since 2018?

The backstory is that I have a 2022 MYLR (white interior) that I have no issues with. We got a 2018 M3 loaner (black interior) and my back was killing me the entire week. I felt significantly less comfortable in the M3 and felt that the seats had to do a lot with it, mostly putting more pressure on my back. Perhaps seating position had something to do with it, but I also felt the M3 seats were much stiffer (also maybe cushions had become less supple after 5+ years of use)

Hmm. I think that the MY is more SUV-like, therefore, the seating position is “taller”. Some people do have more difficulty with a lowered position. Oddly, I think it may also be the seat “architecture”. I used to have a Corvette. Talk about your butt being inches front the ground, and yet the seat were amazing and so supportive.

I also drive my M3 in a very lowered position but find that comfortable. It’s all in what makes you feel good in the end, right? Oh and I’ll be 71 this year.

OP there are few threads on this from way back, when the 2017s came out with so called gen1 seats, then came the gen2s (front and back) and finally something akin to gen 2.5 (slightly different front seat padding, same back seat bench). Back then we even had hope for base trim cloth seats (as promised by Tesla) which never materialized aside from a few prototypes. I would have paid extra for cloth vs plastic-fantastic.

Back to the topic at hand:

Interestingly enough the front seats (not the whole assembly but just the seats themselves) are identical between the 3s and Ys in all regions, wiring and presence of lumbar support pillows is what sets them apart year to year and refresh to refresh (to date).

Back then we even had hope for base trim cloth seats (as promised by Tesla) which never materialized aside from a few prototypes.
I would have paid extra for cloth vs plastic-fantastic.

I agree, I whish there was a cloth option. I don't like vinyl seat covers, they are hot in summer and cold in winter.
I used Wet Okole seat covers and the added neoprene padding really makes a great comfort difference.

Perhaps seating position had something to do with it, but I also felt the M3 seats were much stiffer

The Model Y seats are raised up about five inches above the floor compared to the Model 3.