Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To give you guys an update, we’ve been waiting for just about 2 hours now. Still no one has called us, so we called them again, and have been on hold for almost an hour now. We’re in the middle of Los Angeles mind you, so imagine if you were stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere. We even went down the street and bought some of those fix a flat sprays, but it didn’t work cuz the hole is on the side. I guess we’ll just have to wait. I have a Mercedes too, which has a spare tire and Mercedes roadside service is enormously better. This is the first time I had to call Tesla and service is awful so far.
My Mercedes does not have a spare - 2014 E250.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.
My BMW 335ix didn’t have a spare and cost 15k more than the most expensive M3. If that’s what’s important to you then you should get a car with a spare. Let us know what you wind up getting - I know I’m curious.

That's my plan! Hole plug and mini compressor takes up about as much space as a beer can, and weighs about the same too. Great compromise, I think. I just have to carry one less can of beer.
I try to fill my frunk with a who's who of preparedness. From granola and water and clothes for people, to goo and plugs and basic tools for the car. I knew ahead of time that the car did not have a spare tyre although I was surprised that no fix-it was in the car. Trivial and cheap to buy of course; but it did seem a bit cheap on Tesla's part.

But did the BMW come with RFT?
Sure did ... and while they were a viable alternative to a spare they were also super expensive to replace.

If you concede that in both situations you MUST replace tires every 15k? 20k? miles (in a performance car like a BMW or M3 given the torque) it gets that’s pretty pricey for run flats. With the M3 there’s just a chance you encounter (over the life of the car) the need to replace or plug a tire from damage. The difference in cost to replace 4 run flats compared to replacing regular tires is significant (I suppose that’s subjective). Assuming you keep the car 80,000 you’ll replace the tires 4 times MINIMUM - that has to be at least $1,600 in savings ($400 less per 4 set) compared to non-RFT’s. Whether you get a spare for the M3 or make a kit (jack, tire plug and compressor) you’re talking $400? $450? max for the kit or the spare.

Either way you’re paying for it ... it’s just about how much and in which way.

Sure did ... and while they were a viable alternative to a spare they were also super expensive to replace.

If you concede that in both situations you MUST replace tires every 15k? 20k? miles (in a performance car like a BMW or M3 given the torque) it gets that’s pretty pricey for run flats. With the M3 there’s just a chance you encounter (over the life of the car) the need to replace or plug a tire from damage. The difference in cost to replace 4 run flats compared to replacing regular tires is significant (I suppose that’s subjective). Assuming you keep the car 80,000 you’ll replace the tires 4 times MINIMUM - that has to be at least $1,600 in savings ($400 less per 4 set) compared to non-RFT’s. Whether you get a spare for the M3 or make a kit (jack, tire plug and compressor) you’re talking $400? $450? max for the kit or the spare.

Either way you’re paying for it ... it’s just about how much and in which way.

You don't need a jack to plug a puncture! That's the advantage of a back-up solution using a plug kit over the spare tire/jack routine. I would much rather plug a tire, inflate and be on my way vs. jacking the car, removing the flat tire and replacing it with a separate spare. Jacking is best done on firm, level ground while plugging can be done almost anywhere. This can increase roadside safety by allowing the car to be further off the road.

What really makes the plug route more appealing is that you don't need to haul around the weight and bulk of a jack/spare tire for the life of the car when it's unlikely you will ever use it (assuming you keep your tires properly inflated and are alert and aware when driving to minimize the chances of driving over road hazards in the first place).

Last edited:
Has anyone purchased a spare tire and wheel for their Model 3? I’ve seen quite a few people selling their lightly used sets of Aero tires and wheels after upgrading. I don’t need an entire set but if enough people wanted a spare we could probably work something out.

I would probably keep mine in my garage but maybe throw it in the trunk if going on a really long trip.

Do you know if the tire in this kit will fit into the hole in the model three trunk? Thx
No it won't. I plan to mount it underneath the rear speaker shelf. I did a trip last month and there were some sections without cell service. Not risking a cut to the sidewall or hitting a pot hole while on AP since it can't avoid it. Plus if I get a nail, usually those are slow leaks and I have an inflator, so I can drive to a repair shop to get it patched.

Someone should manufacturer styrofoam case, crank Jack, and Jack pad kit and sell them.
The styrofoam case to fit in one half of the secret compartment in the trunk.
And some way to securely carry a spare 18" alloy wheel in the trunk..

I would pay $100 for the kit.
And buy my own alloy wheel and tire from tire rack.

I purchased a set of four Michelin aero tires and wheels with 1,000 miles on them that came off another TMC forum member’s Model 3 after he upgraded to 19” wheels. I’ll probably keep two and sell two. I’m taking a long road trip this weekend and will take one wheel in the trunk just as a precaution in case Tesla roadside assistance doesn’t have a spare or can’t respond quickly. We have AAA. Is it necessary for me to have the hockey puck in case I need to use AAA or will the jacks they carry work safely on a Model 3?

Reactions: KenC