Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I carry a tire plug kit but if it impacted my beer carrying capacity I would leave the plug kit at home!:D
Beer capacity upgrade!
beer-belly-620x400.jpg

Oh, my! I would quit beer if it made me look like that!

Perhaps we do need a “beer mode” that refrigerate the Frunk.

You could get fancy like that or just add a drain hose and throw a couple of bags of cubed ice in there. Maybe remove the frunk liner, spray the backside with insulating foam and then trim the excess foam back to fit around the various obstructions. Then glue a 1" thick sheet of foam to the underside of the hood to fit into the oval opening. Voila! Underhood beer/food cooler.

Has anyone purchased the modern spare kit and have feedback on it? I noticed they have two kits, one indicating carrying case included in the title, but the description on both shows a "Large Disposable Tire Bag Included". Which one did you order?

2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Complete Kit - Modern Spare

2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Complete Kit - Carrying Case Included - Modern Spare
The disposable bag is to keep your trunk clean when you have the dirty full sized tire off the car and in the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: phtp
The disposable bag is to keep your trunk clean when you have the dirty full sized tire off the car and in the trunk.
Thanks. They got back to me and indicated the bag is like any large plastic bag you would get from a tire shop after season swaps minus the logos. Ended up ordering from them with the carrying case. Planning on a long road trip with young kids, don't want to risk waiting for a tow truck or worse, not having cell service.

I received my modern spare full kit with carry bag etc. It's 100% and well worth the $. I had called and spoke with them and the team at modern spare - SUPER helpful and they know tesla vehicles (even came with a 10mm ratchet in case you have the 10mm disc bolt still on your vehicle from production)

I plan on doing a test fit in my garage deciding what I need with me - disposable gloves, etc. enjoy!

Reactions: phtp
Here's what I use. Doesn't rattle and fits well in the trunk.

Tire repair kit: https://amzn.to/2qqUv0o
The compressor in the video is no longer sold, so here's the upgraded version: https://amzn.to/2xHxQkX

I just got my Model 3 - amazing. I knew buying it that it doesn't come with a spare and now I'm investigating the best options for the "what if" situation. While I know it's unlikely I do like to be prepared. I assume having the repair kit and the air compressor is only valuable IF you have a jack to get the tire off. I never checked to see if a jack came with the car but I assumed it didn't since there is no spare (and thus no reason to include it)?

I just got my Model 3 - amazing. I knew buying it that it doesn't come with a spare and now I'm investigating the best options for the "what if" situation. While I know it's unlikely I do like to be prepared. I assume having the repair kit and the air compressor is only valuable IF you have a jack to get the tire off. I never checked to see if a jack came with the car but I assumed it didn't since there is no spare (and thus no reason to include it)?
I have always been able to fix a flat tire (plug it) on the spot without taking the wheel off the car. You may need to roll the car to get better access.

I have always been able to fix a flat tire (plug it) on the spot without taking the wheel off the car. You may need to roll the car to get better access.
Good to know. Thanks electrictorgue. The only time I had to change a tire was on a work trip in the UK countryside. The two other men (older than me) didn't know what to do. I stepped up, having never changed a tire, and put the donut on. I don't know what all the fuss was about. That said, since I never plugged a tire I figured it had to come off but plugging it while still on the car makes sense - with some body twisting.

Good to know. Thanks electrictorgue. The only time I had to change a tire was on a work trip in the UK countryside. The two other men (older than me) didn't know what to do. I stepped up, having never changed a tire, and put the donut on. I don't know what all the fuss was about. That said, since I never plugged a tire I figured it had to come off but plugging it while still on the car makes sense - with some body twisting.
Fronts are easy to plug on the car. A bit of rolling and turning the steering wheel the best way. Rears can be quite a chore.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.
Is your car leaking also? What does it matter if it's rainy or sunny?

It's
Fronts are easy to plug on the car. A bit of rolling and turning the steering wheel the best way. Rears can be quite a chore.
I actually found the rear tire to be very easy to fix (18 inch wheels) there is plenty of room between the top of the tire and the wheel well to work. Not sure how much room there is with 19 and 20 inch tires.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
It's

I actually found the rear tire to be very easy to fix (18 inch wheels) there is plenty of room between the top of the tire and the wheel well to work. Not sure how much room there is with 19 and 20 inch tires.

They all have the same clearance (because they all have the same rolling diameter). And the foam won't interfere with the function of a plug. I like the sticky worm style plugs. Put plenty of goop on and drive ASAP after re-inflating.