Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. I had just the opposite experience, or at least I framed it a bit differently. Ran over a nail, tire wouldn't hold any pressure, so I couldn't drive it. Tesla service answered quickly. No, they didn't have a loaner tire, but I had my car towed within about an hour and a half of my call. Flats are fact of life. You learn to deal with it.

Try learning to deal with it by clicking here..............Spare Tire Kits - Tesla, Camaro, Corvette, Buick & Pontiac | Modern Spare

I purchased a set of four Michelin aero tires and wheels with 1,000 miles on them that came off another TMC forum member’s Model 3 after he upgraded to 19” wheels. I’ll probably keep two and sell two. I’m taking a long road trip this weekend and will take one wheel in the trunk just as a precaution in case Tesla roadside assistance doesn’t have a spare or can’t respond quickly. We have AAA. Is it necessary for me to have the hockey puck in case I need to use AAA or will the jacks they carry work safely on a Model 3?
I'll give you one of my pucks for one of your spare wheels! ;)

I've got myself a collection of plugs, pump, scissor lift, etc. but I think if I plan a long trip I may get that ModernSpare donut. Hate to be stranded and rely upon Tesla, when I could change my own unplugable flat.

No spare tire? Try the Airless tire:
It looks like you cannot change just the rubber part, so you need to get a wheel and the tire?
Well, how much this would cost?

Mtltvl.jpg

Since you cannot adjust the air pressure, the Airless tire can only be used for a particular load weigh?

tire-size-explained.png

Airless tires are re-invented every 5 years. They never work on passenger cars because people don't understand that a pneumatic tire rides so nice because the road impact is distributed across the whole tire, not just the part facing the road. If you don't care about ride quality (like on a tractor) then these things are an acceptable substitute.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and TT97
So I am going to sing the praises of having a spare. Got one of those Hyundai Genesis 18" $90 spares on eBay last week in preparation for a long trip in a month...no month passes -- a week! So on my way to pick up my daughter from a meeting at school in 15 minutes...BAP BAP BAP...low pressure left rear. Flat! Pull out the $20 plug-in spacer for the new low profile jack (oh, too bad too thick with a flat tire so no hockey puck). Lift the car pull the flat with a one inch wide piece of metal sticking out. Throw on the spare (check the inflation if you get one of these -- it sure felt hard). Pick up kid. Compressor and fix-a-flat no good for this size hole. I called Tesla roadside assistance to see if they could loan me a real tire -- no only can offer a tow...with my kid waiting at school and the wife out of town. Tire couldn't be patched -- luckily I was about to get new tires anyway (at 15k).
SOOOO...get the spare. I saw another poster say they only put it in the car for long trips. I was 2 miles from home.

I bought a set of four tires and wheels from another TMC member who upgraded from 18” to 19” wheels. I kept two of them (one for each of our Model 3’s) and sold the other two. I keep them in the garage because I’ve heard too many stories of people calling Tesla roadside assistance and being told they are out of spares.

I wonder how big that thing is in the case. Too bad the web page doesn't have dimensions on anything so you could see if it would fit in the lower well of the trunk or not.

You don't need the dimensions to know that no tire/wheel assembly that's suitable for mounting on a Model 3, even just in a rare emergency, is going to fit in the trunk well. Not gonna happen.

Spare tires are going away for a good reason. There are almost always much better ways to deal with what should be a very rare occurrence than changing the entire wheel by the side of the road. Which really limits the usefulness of carrying a spare at all.

Reactions: radiocycle
So I am going to sing the praises of having a spare. Got one of those Hyundai Genesis 18" $90 spares on eBay last week in preparation for a long trip in a month...no month passes -- a week! So on my way to pick up my daughter from a meeting at school in 15 minutes...BAP BAP BAP...low pressure left rear. Flat! Pull out the $20 plug-in spacer for the new low profile jack (oh, too bad too thick with a flat tire so no hockey puck). Lift the car pull the flat with a one inch wide piece of metal sticking out. Throw on the spare (check the inflation if you get one of these -- it sure felt hard). Pick up kid. Compressor and fix-a-flat no good for this size hole. I called Tesla roadside assistance to see if they could loan me a real tire -- no only can offer a tow...with my kid waiting at school and the wife out of town. Tire couldn't be patched -- luckily I was about to get new tires anyway (at 15k).
SOOOO...get the spare. I saw another poster say they only put it in the car for long trips. I was 2 miles from home.
Would be nice to find a $90 Genesis compact spare.