Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a nightmare!

My takeaway, get a compact spare as well as a plug kit for the small nails, a jack, lug wrench, torque wrench, puck, and the other usual things you may need to take care of your own tire issues, because there will be times, when you’ll have to rely upon yourself, like Sunday night in the middle of nowhere. And that’s true for all cars, still. If you’re lucky, you’ll never have to use any of it, but if you do, you’ll be prepared and not reliant upon tire shops being open 24-7.

What a nightmare!

My takeaway, get a compact spare as well as a plug kit for the small nails, a jack, lug wrench, torque wrench, puck, and the other usual things you may need to take care of your own tire issues, because there will be times, when you’ll have to rely upon yourself, like Sunday night in the middle of nowhere. And that’s true for all cars, still. If you’re lucky, you’ll never have to use any of it, but if you do, you’ll be prepared and not reliant upon tire shops being open 24-7.

Perfectly said. I will be adding a compact spare to both of my Tesla’s. My own fault for assuming these tires were more common to secure.

Attachments

• 1039D446-3914-412A-B519-D148CEF0D027.jpeg
    1039D446-3914-412A-B519-D148CEF0D027.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 160
Anyway, the debris our car hit would have caused 18 or 19 tires to blow out beecause it damaged the side wall, not on the tread, so for my situation, it would not have mattered what type of size tire I had on my M3P.

Actually, it's the short sidewall of a sport tire that is most vulnerable, the 18" rims have a taller sidewall so it can take bigger impacts without getting pinched or tearing. Air pressure is critical! Also, the firmer ride of a low profile tire actually encourages drivers to run lower air pressure to avoid a firm ride. Tires with less air pressure are more vulnerable to blowouts AND punctures.

Long story short, everyone needs to order a spare tire since Tesla does not, and I'm now out over $1,000 because of my stupidity of net getting a spare tire when I bought the car earlier this year.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but there are good reasons an increasing number of car models no longer include a place to put a spare tire. One of them is it's kind of stupid to be driving around with a 40-50 lbs. of extra weight for the entire life of the car because modern tires are so reliable. Ironically, the extra weight of a spare wears out your tires faster, causes your car to charge fewer miles per hour of charging (due to lower efficiency of a heavier car) and reduces useable luggage capacity. I will say that it's also important to be alert when driving, tires don't like hitting foreign objects when speeding along at 60-80 mph! The bottom line is a good driver who is alert, runs appropriate tires and maintains tire air pressures properly is very unlikely to experience a flat. But, by all means, if you must have low profile Sport/Performance tires with softer rubber compounds that tend to pick up screws and nails easier than other longer-lasting compounds and tend to get damaged sidewalls from impacting road debris, then carry a spare with you. But you will pay for it with less cargo capacity and a heavier, less efficient, less nimble vehicle.

My advice to all Model 3 purchasers who are not buying dedicated track machines, get 18" rims. To those who already have 20" rims, look for a set of used take-offs from someone who will be using their Model 3 on the track and is selling. I purchased an extra set of 4 new rims with new Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires for only $500 and have seen a number of sets go for between $800 and $1000. This is less than a set of 20" tires alone cost. You will be saving money as soon as you buy them! And the 18" rims are a lighter setup - there really isn't a good reason to be running a track set up on the street. Tesla offers them because it's popular. But popular does not equal smart or good or practical.

Perfectly said. I will be adding a compact spare to both of my Tesla’s. My own fault for assuming these tires were more common to secure.

That kind of damage is common when running air pressures too low. And judging by the wear pattern visible in your photo, your air pressure was far, far too low. Ridiculously low. Please don't argue with this, the photo does not lie!

So far as towing is concerned, my out of warranty car died in my garage in March and mobile service said it needed to be taken to a service center because it was beyond their expertise. Tesla Roadside got a quote from a local tow operator of $1400 for the 300 mile tow and suggested that I call my insurance company. To my surprise, State Farm arranged the tow and picked up the cost because my tow insurance was for "transport to the nearest place the car could be serviced" and that was the service center 300 miles away. (Needless to say, I'm real happy with State Farm! YMMV.)

For a non-repairable flat tire I would guess my tow insurance would take my car to the nearest tire store, at which point I would have to wait for a tire to be ordered and delivered. Since I don't want to do that, on road trips I either carry a spare or an unmounted tire that can be installed by any tire shop. On a 4700 mile road trip in May I just carried an unmounted tire (a worn tire taken off during a tire swap that had enough tread left to be useful).

A few weeks ago I was about to leave on a two night road trip and found a slow leak in one tire. Turned out to be a nail-gun finishing nail in the shoulder of the tire. I plugged it, ordered a new tire from a tire store, put a snow tire in my car as an emergency spare in case the plug leaked, and headed out on my trip. The plug in the shoulder (about one cm from the sidewall) held perfectly over 1300 miles, including some 80 mph on a freeway. Rather than throw away a tire that was working ok I just purchased the new tire I had ordered and am keeping it in my garage for when I next need it, whether sooner, or later when I get new tires.

If you have obscure, hard to get, tires on your car, it might be best to carry an extra or go with a compact spare. My tires (245/45R19 Goodyear Eagle RSA2) are easy to get but no tire store I've ever been to actually stocks them. Next time you get new tires perhaps it would be best to keep the best of the old tires to use as a temporary replacement. Anyway, that's what I do because I live and drive out in the boonies!

Reactions: KenC
...I will say that it's also important to be alert when driving, tires don't like hitting foreign objects when speeding along at 60-80 mph! The bottom line is a good driver who is alert, runs appropriate tires and maintains tire air pressures properly is very unlikely to experience a flat.
Unexpected debris, pot holes and other obstacles on the road can damage a tire on a car driven by the most alert driver. Stuff happens. Obstacles are harder to see at night, etc.

An extra 50 pounds in the trunk is not going to make that much difference versus having a passenger or two in the car, but if one prioritizes maximizing range over inconvenience and high expenditures in the event of a catastrophic tire failure, then that's up to the individual.

You make some good points about maintaining correct air pressure.

I'm keeping an eye on possible run-flats or self-sealing tires as future replacements to our stock 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires when they wear out.

Last edited:
You think his pressures were low? That looks like the damage caused while slowing from highway speeds on a completely flat tire. He didn't have a slow leak, he had a blowout. Look at the outer tread blocks, look totally normal, not worn any more than the blocks next to them.

You think his pressures were low? That looks like the damage caused while slowing from highway speeds on a completely flat tire. He didn't have a slow leak, he had a blowout. Look at the outer tread blocks, look totally normal, not worn any more than the blocks next to them.

I'm not looking at the treadwear to determine the car was run hard with far too low of air pressure, I'm looking at the scuffing of the shoulder of the edge of the tread. The damage from driving on the flat tire is obvious but not what I'm referring to. The kind of wear that is the dead giveaway can only happen on a hot tire and with hard cornering/acceleration forces on a severely under-inflated tire. It's the texture of the surface of the rubber that extends well past the portion of the tread that is designed to be driven on (almost to the end of the water evacuation grooves where they wrap around the shoulder of the tread. It's a sign that the tire's edge had been "tucking under" during hard cornering. This can tear and damage the very structure of the tire and make the kind of blowout from impact much more likely.

As I said, do not argue with me on this, the photo doesn't lie. People cause most of their own troubles. They prefer to call it "bad luck" but "luck" is random and low air pressure is not due to bad luck it's due to poor decision making.

Unexpected debris, pot holes and other obstacles on the road can damage a tire on a car driven by the most alert driver. Stuff happens. Obstacles are harder to see at night, etc.

Anything can happen I suppose. But some people are far better at avoiding damage than others. I learned when I was 16 not to overdrive my headlights at night. Because I was taught this in Traffic Safety class. And it made perfect sense to me. It's mostly a matter of how well you pay attention but, sometimes in the heat of the moment, reaction time can play into it as well. I am a motorcyclist and take full responsibility for my actions. I've never been injured in nearly 40 years of riding because I pay attention like my life depends upon it. Because it does. Some people are more cavalier and/or become complacent. If you have normal vision, you can almost always see road debris in time to avoid it. 9 out of 10 road debris strikes would have been avoidable but the driver just wasn't paying attention. I've seen a lot of cars hit road debris that wasn't even moving and that was small enough to easily drive around it. Sometimes it kicks it up right in front of my motorcycle. When it's moving it's definitely more difficult to avoid but that doesn't mean that I don't try. I see this happen all the time.

An extra 50 pounds in the trunk is not going to make that much difference versus having a passenger or two in the car, but if one prioritizes maximizing range over inconvenience and high expenditures in the event of a catastrophic tire failure, then that's up to the individual.

Wait a minute. You mean if I carry a spare I will have one less person in the car to compensate? How does that even play into this discussion? 50 lbs. is 50 lbs. And if it's there for every stop and go over the life of the car, yes, it will make a difference. That's a lot of energy, even if I do have regen to recoup around 50% of it. How many passengers I have is irrelevant.

I'm keeping an eye on possible run-flats or self-sealing tires as future replacements to our stock 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires when they wear out.

I carry a tire plug kit. It will work whenever tire slime will work (and sometimes when it won't). The "sticky worm" style are the best for emergency repairs. But using some common sense as discussed, you will likely not need to plug a tire. Run flats are going to be very expensive and give you a terrible ride. Self-sealing tires will not solve the kind of problem in the photo above. You still have to maintain your tire's air pressure and avoid road hazards.

Anything can happen I suppose. But some people are far better at avoiding damage than others. I learned when I was 16 not to overdrive my headlights at night. Because I was taught this in Traffic Safety class. And it made perfect sense to me. It's mostly a matter of how well you pay attention but, sometimes in the heat of the moment, reaction time can play into it as well. I am a motorcyclist and take full responsibility for my actions. I've never been injured in nearly 40 years of riding because I pay attention like my life depends upon it. Because it does. Some people are more cavalier and/or become complacent. If you have normal vision, you can almost always see road debris in time to avoid it. 9 out of 10 road debris strikes would have been avoidable but the driver just wasn't paying attention. I've seen a lot of cars hit road debris that wasn't even moving and that was small enough to easily drive around it. Sometimes it kicks it up right in front of my motorcycle. When it's moving it's definitely more difficult to avoid but that doesn't mean that I don't try. I see this happen all the time.
I commend you on your personal safety history and driving protocol.

Sudden, accidental catastrophic tire failure can happen at any time to anyone regardless of care while driving, or dedicated attention to tire maintenance. This is particularly true in urban areas with high density traffic and resulting road debris (i.e. junk falling off trucks or tossed onto freeways, etc), and poor road conditions resulting from heavy traffic loads. Beautiful Maple Falls, Washington likely has less of this high density urban traffic and debris. You're fortunate in this regard.

Wait a minute. You mean if I carry a spare I will have one less person in the car to compensate? How does that even play into this discussion? 50 lbs. is 50 lbs. And if it's there for every stop and go over the life of the car, yes, it will make a difference. That's a lot of energy, even if I do have regen to recoup around 50% of it. How many passengers I have is irrelevant.
As I previously stated, some will find the loss of range due to the extra weight of the spare tire and tools too egregious. Some will find the peace of mind worth the reduced range. It's an individual choice.

The point I was making about passengers, is that each passenger adds significant weight and reduces the car's range...yet you won't find anyone commenting about loss of range due to carrying several hundred pounds of extra people. It's ironic that carrying 50lbs of safety equipment would engender such push-back.

I carry a tire plug kit. It will work whenever tire slime will work (and sometimes when it won't). The "sticky worm" style are the best for emergency repairs. But using some common sense as discussed, you will likely not need to plug a tire. Run flats are going to be very expensive and give you a terrible ride. Self-sealing tires will not solve the kind of problem in the photo above. You still have to maintain your tire's air pressure and avoid road hazards.
I respect your opinion of run flats tires, and agree about their extras cost and different ride quality. Run flats offer an option for those who would benefit from the ability to drive 50 miles to a tire shop...or home...without stopping to repair the tire or waiting for a tow. Obviously, where one lives and how far one drives is an important consideration.

Self sealing tires, when available in the sizes required by the Model 3, will seal punctures long enough to reach a service station or tire shop, and they will have the benefit of improved ride quality over run-flats. They're certainly an option to consider for those who don't do their own tire repair, or who don't have time to wait for roadside service, or who don't feel safe at night waiting alone on the roadside.

Slime does not work on the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires due to the acoustic foam liner, which prevents the slime from reaching the puncture. Slime will work on non-acoustic foam tires.

Good advice about maintaining proper tire pressure and being vigilant for road hazards.

Last edited:
As I said, do not argue with me on this, the photo doesn't lie. People cause most of their own troubles. They prefer to call it "bad luck" but "luck" is random and low air pressure is not due to bad luck it's due to poor decision making.
Wow, no one is arguing with you. If they do, it's because you're bringing it on yourself with your smarter than thou attitude. Read your original post, nowhere do you go into any detail about what you're seeing. If you had done so, then there would be no reason for anyone to ASK.

Reactions: tvad
Wow, no one is arguing with you. If they do, it's because you're bringing it on yourself with your smarter than thou attitude. Read your original post, nowhere do you go into any detail about what you're seeing. If you had done so, then there would be no reason for anyone to ASK.

Well, there was a high-resolution photo to look at. That's what I was referring to. A picture is worth 1000 words (unless you don't know what you're looking at).

The spare wheel from modernspares.com will work on the model 3 performance for sure? I know that the hub has a lip that needs extra machining on the wheel and that not just any 20" wheel will mount correctly.

The spare wheel from modernspares.com will work on the model 3 performance for sure? I know that the hub has a lip that needs extra machining on the wheel and that not just any 20" wheel will mount correctly.

As I recall you tell them what model you have. Also this is a smaller company with great customer service. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions if you contacted them. They were very helpful when I had questions. And the end product is top notch. In fact this spare is nicer than the every day wheels most of my previous cars have had. And the ratcheting jack handle makes a huge difference.

Matt from Modern Spare is awesome!
  • (9AM - 5PM M-F MST) (they are in Utah I believe)
  • (801) 896-3395
He spent (20) minutes on the phone with me explaining everything in detail about their product and tires, and yes, their spare tires are CAR SPECIFIC. They don't use the same tire for every vehicle. I ordered (2) from them, one for my M3P, and another for my MX. For the MX, you may need the wheel spacer, and for $40, I went ahead and got that as well for my rear tires on the MX.

For the M3P, I know it won't fit in the frunk or the rear lower compartment, and I won't care that it's taking up space in my trunk or the added weight. For the MX, their spare tire & all accessories will fit in the lower section in the back, so that's great. I'm also going to get a patch kit & portable compressor for those situations where the problem is not in the sidewall and can be patched temporarily without outside assistance.

Fortunately for our recent blowout we had AAA PLUS coverage which includes tows up to 100 miles on (4) separate occassions per year per member (no piggy backing for longer tows), however we will be upgrading to their PREMIUM coverage that's good for (1) 200 mile tow per year, plus (3) additional (100) tows per year per member. Yes, this all adds up to a lot of money, but it's worth it to our family. Belts & suspenders!

• Informative
Reactions: ibGeek and KenC
...we will be upgrading to their PREMIUM coverage that's good for (1) 200 mile tow per year, plus (3) additional (100) tows per year per member. Yes, this all adds up to a lot of money, but it's worth it to our family.
AAA Premium (Premiere) is the way to go, especially when the other, non-roadside service benefits are considered. As far as the cost, which is $169 in Southern California, I figure I have paid $80 for a sunshade, $150 for an all weather rear trunk liner to catch water that runs into the trunk on rainy days, and $300 for a garage door opener...another $169 for excellent roadside service isn't a big deal (and we already were AAA members a the $72 Basic level). We are still deciding if the ModernSpare kit is worth sacrificing space in the M3 trunk. If we had a Model X with room in the lower compartment, then it'd be a no-brainer.

Last edited: