Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 17" one went for $250 a while back. They seem to be super rare because they weren't included with the car and are $1100 for the spare tire kit from the dealer. They were also on a few other rare cars that don't have matching bolt patterns. http://vredesteinpneu.sk/Sitefiles/docs/leaflet_spacemaster_2012.pdf
I wonder what the outside diameter of the 17" one is. I'm guessing 21".
05 06 07 08 Maserati Quattroporte WHEEL SPARE TIRE 185/60 R17 OEM | eBay
View attachment 445331
Given the demands on the sidewalls to go from folded to unfolded, I wonder how long the rubber will last sitting in your trunk?

That 17" only has a 93 load rating (1433lbs), not the 98 (1653lbs) used by the Model 3, though the speed rating P (93mph) is better than the typical M rating on the compact spares (81mph).

Last edited:
Got a 2017 Maserati Ghibli spare on eBay for $135.
  • Steel
  • 18"x6"
  • 114.3x5 bolt pattern
  • 0 offset
  • 175/75/55 Space Master tire
  • 22.5" overall diameter deflated (vs. 26.3" for full size tire)
  • 7" overall width
  • 39.4lbs
  • Does not clear the little bolt that secures the rotor to the hub so that has to be removed before installing (note that the purpose of this bolt is to keep the rotor in place while installing the brake caliper and it is not required).
There's still no chance of fitting this thing in the frunk even with the liner removed. Maserati also made a 17" spare for the Quatroporte but that would also not fit in the frunk and those are hard to find and over ten years old. This spare fits with plenty of margin both front and back and I'm sure it would fit performance models in the front. There are also alloy versions (I guess on older Ghiblis?).
So, there's still no convenient place to put it but at least it doesn't overlap the lower trunk area.
I'm pretty sure if I didn't have a hitch on my car I could cut the metal tub at the rear of the car and fit the spare down there using the space between the tub and the bumper cover though it might also be necessary to cut at the front as well. Rivet and glue an aluminum extension to the area down there and this spare would take up very little space. Now that would be an ambitious project for someone!
IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg

Is there enough space for it to stand up at the back of the boot or in the lower boot area?
Also would a 17" version fit in the lower boot bay or it it too small?
You can stand it up but it still sticks up a ways. The lower boot bay is only about 16" long so there's no way the 17" version would fit (It's 21.5" inches in diameter. It's too bad Tesla didn't put a place for it, they could have made money selling optional spares!
IMG_3570.jpeg

Reactions: KenC and m3p_uk
Have this old skinny VW space saver from my last car - 115/85/R18
It was flat on the bottom of the boot so could do something similar again but not sure what the bolt pattern and centre bore on the model 3 is?
This one is 5x112 and 57.1 centre bore

file.php

It was flat on the bottom of the boot so could do something similar again but not sure what the bolt pattern and centre bore on the model 3 is?

file.php
Better get out the angle grinder and start hacking away at the tub because that's the only way a spare is ever going to fit. There are 4-5" between the tub and the bumper cover. I didn't check how much clearance there is to the drive unit/subframe when I had the bumper off (and there's no way to remove the lower plastic shield without removing the bumper cover).

Got a 2017 Maserati Ghibli spare on eBay for $135.
  • Steel
  • 18"x6"
  • 114.3x5 bolt pattern
  • 0 offset
  • 175/75/55 Space Master tire
  • 22.5" overall diameter deflated (vs. 26.3" for full size tire)
  • 7" overall width
  • 39.4lbs
  • Does not clear the little bolt that secures the rotor to the hub so that has to be removed before installing (note that the purpose of this bolt is to keep the rotor in place while installing the brake caliper and it is not required).
There's still no chance of fitting this thing in the frunk even with the liner removed. Maserati also made a 17" spare for the Quatroporte but that would also not fit in the frunk and those are hard to find and over ten years old. This spare fits with plenty of margin both front and back and I'm sure it would fit performance models in the front. There are also alloy versions (I guess on older Ghiblis?).
So, there's still no convenient place to put it but at least it doesn't overlap the lower trunk area.
I'm pretty sure if I didn't have a hitch on my car I could cut the metal tub at the rear of the car and fit the spare down there using the space between the tub and the bumper cover though it might also be necessary to cut at the front as well. Rivet and glue an aluminum extension to the area down there and this spare would take up very little space. Now that would be an ambitious project for someone!
View attachment 457897
View attachment 457898
View attachment 457899
Yeah, that Maserati uninflated spare was so tempting, but I thought the inflated size was too big, or at least the Ghibli spares I looked at were too big. Yours looks very good. The tire calculator has it at 25.6" which is only 2.7% different than OEM.

Are there any instructions on how many times you can inflate it? Since you have to inflate it from empty to full, I'd want to make sure your pump can run that long without overheating.

Yeah, that Maserati uninflated spare was so tempting, but I thought the inflated size was too big, or at least the Ghibli spares I looked at were too big. Yours looks very good. The tire calculator has it at 25.6" which is only 2.7% different than OEM.

Are there any instructions on how many times you can inflate it? Since you have to inflate it from empty to full, I'd want to make sure your pump can run that long without overheating.
Ghibli tire size is 235/50R18 so maybe that's what you saw. From what I gather they can be deflated. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.
Right now I've got two crappy pumps in my frunk. Maybe I should carry my good VIAIR 400P compressor which would inflate it in a minute. Only thing is it uses 30 amps so I'd have to hook it directly to the battery and I've heard about all sorts of problems when you do that on a Tesla (though it's hard to imagine it causing a problem if you only do it for a couple minutes).

Reactions: KenC
Ghibli tire size is 235/50R18 so maybe that's what you saw. From what I gather they can be deflated. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.
Right now I've got two crappy pumps in my frunk. Maybe I should carry my good VIAIR 400P compressor which would inflate it in a minute. Only thing is it uses 30 amps so I'd have to hook it directly to the battery and I've heard about all sorts of problems when you do that on a Tesla (though it's hard to imagine it causing a problem if you only do it for a couple minutes).

One crappy pump with a collapsible bicycle pump for backup.

Reactions: Daniel in SD

file.php

It's a thin spacesaver so was going to make a plinth where it could stay under quite easily.
However it looks like the centre bore is too small??

thanks, so basically need something like this but for a lot cheaper!
#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model 3 | Modern Spare

was then planning to basically build something like this which it could sit under drawing
Check wheel-size.com to see what cars have similar size wheels with the right bolt pattern. Then get a salvage spare from one of those cars. Hyundai Genesis and Maserati Ghibli are two that I know of. Some Hondas and Acuras may work too.