Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 insurance and general maintenance in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla owners living in Japan.

What's the average cost of insurance for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range in Japan?
Also, what kind of additional costs (taxes, inspections, etc.) should I expect?

Thanks,
N.
It depends on the type of insurance you get. I can try calculating it for you -

New contract? If not, what was your class? 1 to 20, class 20 giving you a 60% discount on the premium. New contract is class 6.
Vehicle damage insurance? Many people only insure for injuries and the other party's vehicles, but not his car itself. If you want to cover your vehicle, the premium will double.
Face-to-face insurance or "Internet" insurance? The latter is cheaper but they will provide only the help desk, not an actual human helping you. If you want your agent to support your contract in case of accidents, you can choose face-to-face insurance, which will be more expensive. I personally don't use Internet insurance.

Reactions: indianinjapan
It depends on the type of insurance you get. I can try calculating it for you -

New contract? If not, what was your class? 1 to 20, class 20 giving you a 60% discount on the premium. New contract is class 6.
Vehicle damage insurance? Many people only insure for injuries and the other party's vehicles, but not his car itself. If you want to cover your vehicle, the premium will double.
Face-to-face insurance or "Internet" insurance? The latter is cheaper but they will provide only the help desk, not an actual human helping you. If you want your agent to support your contract in case of accidents, you can choose face-to-face insurance, which will be more expensive. I personally don't use Internet insurance.
Thanks. Very useful.

Huumm… My annual insurance premium is only 86,000 yen for my LR Model 3, which, of course, includes coverages for collision damages. Deductible is 100k yen, and I am at class 9. Perhaps, my insurance coverage is a lot less than you guys…
I paid just under 50,000 annually (updated end of 2022) with SBI (online). I have full coverage for me and passengers, deductibles up to 100,000. Reading this thread makes me wonder if mine is too low?!

It does seem pretty low, but there are so many variables that are taken into consideration when calculating insurance that it's difficult to compare one insurance plan to another.

I drive a 1st gen Model S P90D and am currently paying just under 90,000yen a year with MS&AD (Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance and Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance)
I have full coverage for 3rd parties.
Myself and passengers in the car are only covered up to 3000万yen per person max of 2億yen total.
I have no coverage for my car at all. 😅
I do get roadside assistance, loaner car/transportation, and solicitors fee covered if needed.
I have a blue license, no idea what insurance class I'm in.