Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for Acquiring a Tesla During a 5-Month Stay in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

My wife, our 1-year-old daughter, and I are preparing for a big adventure. We're downsizing to just 4 suitcases, leaving our home in Hawaii, and moving to Tokyo, Japan for approximately 5 months, starting from November or December. As part of our move, we will be selling our current vehicle, a Tesla Model Y. We've also previously owned a Model S and Model 3 and are keen to keep driving a Tesla in Japan. Could anyone recommend the most cost-effective method to secure a Tesla (preferably a Model Y, but a Model X would be acceptable too) for our stay? We currently hold US driver licenses and are planning to obtain international ones next month.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Can I ask why you want a car? Tokyo is one of the cities in the world famous for not needing a car. You’re going to find it‘s a real PITA when you want go anywhere in the city and try to park. You can go virtually anywhere very quickly using public transportation, especially the train/subway systems. I recommend exploring these before you get a car. Someone who knows the laws here might be able to help regarding requirements to buy and drive a car. You’re going to have to register and insure a car; I’m not even sure if that’s possible on an international license.

Hello everyone,

My wife, our 1-year-old daughter, and I are preparing for a big adventure. We're downsizing to just 4 suitcases, leaving our home in Hawaii, and moving to Tokyo, Japan for approximately 5 months, starting from November or December. As part of our move, we will be selling our current vehicle, a Tesla Model Y. We've also previously owned a Model S and Model 3 and are keen to keep driving a Tesla in Japan. Could anyone recommend the most cost-effective method to secure a Tesla (preferably a Model Y, but a Model X would be acceptable too) for our stay? We currently hold US driver licenses and are planning to obtain international ones next month.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Dm me on Facebook okinawa eMobility future. We have a 2023 Model Y. Maybe we can work out sth with you

@vitaliy Hi, I live in Tokyo, and I can help a little with your questions. As Jay said, most young Japanese people in Tokyo don't have driver's licenses. Some people have, and they mostly use, rental cars, charged in 15-minute increments.
# In Japan, we call the service "car sharing," but it is just a cheaper rental car service operated by a large corporation.

That said, I think you can buy a new Tesla if you have a permanent address AND a permanent parking lot. You must register your car AND your parking lot to get a license plate issued here. Doing this will be a hassle - the landowner may want you to pay for five months of parking lot rent in advance to give the parking certificate. Police will prosecute landowners if they accept short-term parking contracts only to get the certificate. Japanese police do not want overnight parking on the road.

What kind of residence do you plan to stay in? Did you consider you need to rent a parking lot with the place? Beware of condominium-type homes - the parking lot is so tiny, so even a Model 3 does not fit.

@JayInJapan
I suppose I should have clarified that we're planning to stay in Tokyo for the first 2.5-3 months and then explore the rest of Japan. We have a 1.5-year-old child, so we'll need to carry a lot of things with us. This situation reminds us of our trip across America in 2016-2017. We're not just interested in cities, but also want to see everything in between, like national parks, mountains, and museums. For us, the journey itself is just as important as the destinations.

So perhaps for the first Tokyo-only part, we could rent a car on an hourly/daily basis and primarily rely on public transportation.

@jack_ying
We will reach out once we have a clearer picture of the dates! Thank you for the offer!

@hiroshiy
That's a lot to consider. I will start researching all of that now. Thank you for the advice. I would probably not buy a Tesla for our stay - will rent.