Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Louder Horns

Stock horns too quiet

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood. I had triple airhorns hidden in the drivers side guard of a previous car for that reason, with an isolation switch to run just the stock horns if I ever got pulled over. That was in response to being run off the road by a merging driver who didn't hear the stock horn that was on solidly at the time.

Be interested to see what you settle on.

There is a thread either on here or the other forum where we talked about the OE horns.

Turns out they are manufactured in Turkey by a well known OE horn supplier (and a higher end one at that)... and this company offers two flavors of the horn use in the Model 3.

One with the trumpet housing, one without. Same plug n play connector. So its really down to someone trying.

Their website even has audio clips to compare the horn sounds. Win win. Search and find the info.

And yes, the USDM and non-USDM cars appears to have different horn configs (output frequency).

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Talk about overkill, but then again to each his own.

If I were to touch the stock horns, I would just direct PnP swap them out with the trumpet-less OEM equivalents which are louder and a tad sharper (similar to the difference between super and sharptones)

Talk about overkill, but then again to each his own.

If I were to touch the stock horns, I would just direct PnP swap them out with the trumpet-less OEM equivalents which are louder and a tad sharper (similar to the difference between super and sharptones)
I've done that on other cars with Hella Supertone and Sharptone units. They are just louder versions of the weak sounding OE horns.

Years ago I had air horns with a compressor and air tank discreetly installed providing the ultimate discouragement for text-while-driving***** and other moron drivers.

(moderator note: edited text as we received a complaint, and I didnt want to delete the entire post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remind me who or what are ******.? I'm getting too old for the acronym avalanche and unpop culture references. And yes, my 'favorite' are text-while-driving, personal-grooming or eat-while-driving morons.

Still, to me a little borderline econobox EV sedan shouldn't sound like a freight train or tractor trailer. It should however project a decentoy loud, not overly abnoxious sound.

(moderator note: edited out text refrenced in previous post)

I've had the high tone horn fail completely. At first only one of two horns were replaced, the second did the trick. Sounded weak and didn't sound the same. As soon as the bad high tone was swapped it sounded as it did before and louder again. Mobile tech mentioned some the 2018s had a different horn placement and sometimes got water in them.

• Informative
Reactions: Perscitus
....... just curious if anyone changed theirs yet, I purchased some HELLAs for a different vehicle but wouldnt mind tryiing them on the 3 first.

Based on a quick Google - the stock horns seem to be made by Seger. I jumped onto their website and the closest looking horn there draws 6A for each horn (high and low).

I know the Model 3 gets real picky about current draw on circuits so make sure whatever you plan to use draws the same or less current. However, the Tesla is so smart you might get an error if the horn doesn't draw enough current. No way to know for sure on that without trying.