Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a vin last night! I guess I'm lucky because my order date was only a few days ago.

M3LR / Blue / Black Int / 18" / Cleveland OH pickup
OD: 2/5
EDD #1 (2/5): 2/14-3/1
EDD #2 (2/7): 2/21-2/25
VIN: F177XXX
I’m just having a really hard time rationalizing this. Is it just a statistical anomaly or should I chance another $250 to see if this is the norm for Feb?

Any other Feb ODs with similar timelines?

Don’t be afraid of Oct orders like mine 😀
Most of us had a hold first for the not realized EV tax credit and then to receive the AMD processor and 12V li-ion battery

And some of us have rarer configurations and live in places that don't get many Tesla deliveries :(

It's always rough seeing people get your exact config even with a later order date, simply because they lived in X location and that config was used to "fill the truck" so to speak.

Reactions: Crany
Out of curiosity, I just rang up the Tesla center in Bellevue to see if they could offer any insight into a more narrow EDD range, as some on this thread have had good results when talking to an SA. The woman I spoke to was super nice, but said she has no more info to offer me other than that they "hope to get the car to [me] sometime this month." My latest EDD window opens tomorrow (it's 2/9-2/22) so we'll see how that changes in the next couple days. I ordered in mid-Nov. and haven't had any holds or VIN rejections (and had an initial delivery estimate of Jan. '22), so I hope that EDD holds.

Reactions: sniraula
Was it really worth the hours you spend negotiating? In my case, I have never been able to justify losing my working hours…. They are worth more than a car deal can save me.
Honestly, I haven't spent any more time negotiating a great deal on a car than I have trying to buy this Tesla (especially over the last 24-ish hours, which has been a bit of a whirlwind). :)

Reactions: enemji
Grrr. I have an order with the same build (blue/black/18/noFSD) placed in December. I'm very close to the Fremont factory and I'm paying cash. I'm still happy for them but I wonder how they were able to jump the line like that? With that kind of great luck and high VIN maybe they'll also be the first with dual-pane rear windows, ventilated seats, hairpin motor windings and the 4680 battery!
I'll for sure post an update with what the car has when I take delivery!

Also in case any of this might make a difference in how I got a vin so fast I forgot to mention the following:
- No FSD
- I placed my order in a store with a SA
- The same day I ordered I logged into my account and selected Tesla financing, but I still have not completed the credit application

And some of us have rarer configurations and live in places that don't get many Tesla deliveries :(

It's always rough seeing people get your exact config even with a later order date, simply because they lived in X location and that config was used to "fill the truck" so to speak.
Agreed, especially red and blue have a pretty long wait. My friend (living in the same city as I) has ordered a red M3LR a month before me (late September), he had no holds and no VIN rejections at all and is still not assigned a VIN. Whereas I ordered originally a White M3LR, had a hold, rejected a VIN, had another hold and a color change from White to MSM, rejected another VIN and had another short hold and got a 3rd VIN assigned shortly after :(

Tesla needs indeed to do a better job regarding colors, don't know why red and blue should have such long wait times.

My SA told me if I'm doing third party financing, I have to give him my planned finance amount and the bank in order for the profile to be complete
So first, I'm not sure what everyone means by "my SA". How did you get an SA? I have no call or direct contact from a person. Only contact I have had is contact I initiated.

With regards to the third party financing, I set all that up in the order...put the lender, planned financed amount, etc. The profile showed that but it wouldn't "check the box and let me move on to completed profile status. It sat that way for almost 2 weeks maybe, so finally, I called back. that's when he told me (as I was talking to him) that he changed to cash. He said once the vin is assigned and I have the financing started on my end, call back and they would change it back.

sooo...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: CarlThompson
More 🌪️ time!

Since we couldn't get financing arranged by yesterday, we worked it out with Fremont to have them ship the car 20 miles away to the Tesla store near our house. They told us this might delay it a week or two.

This morning I got a barrage of texts... They must already have my car at the local store because they have now scheduled us for Thursday delivery. But they set it up for home delivery!!! 🎉 (Which originally they told me they couldn't do). Tesla didn't give me a choice of date/time. But, fortunately, since it's home delivery what they selected will work.

Our Tesla financing was approved this morning as well. But I've been talking with our preferred lender, and they expect to have our loan ready by later today or tomorrow. I need to call Tesla to change the financing to third party, so I can continue with the pre-delivery tasks.

Next up is figuring out insurance... We have AAA for our other cars, but I see very few people say they've insured their Tesla's with AAA, so I'm a little worried about what they'll quote me.

There are a lot of moving parts, and some of them don't seem to fit nicely together. But with any luck I'll be driving my new car in a little more than 48 hours!

Here are my stats for those interested:

M3LR, MSM, Black, 18", no FSD, Picking up in Fremont, CA Delivering to home

OD: 10/31
EDD1: 12/21-12/31
EDD2: 1/5-2/2
Hold from 12/16-1/5
EDD3: 3/9-3/31
EDD4: 1/28-2/25
EDD5: 2/4-2/18
EDD6: 2/7-2/18
VIN & Vision: 2/7
EDD7: 2/9-2/13
Offered delivery on 2/7 - turned down (financing not ready)
Scheduled home delivery on 2/10

I'm not seeing anyone getting a VIN for the Tesla Model 3 LR in the Bay Area? I placed an order for Tesla Model 3 LR in December 20th 2021 and the ED shows 02/09 -> 02/23. I've seen people who ordered later with a later EDD get their vins yesterday and today. Has anyone in the Bay Area gotten their vins with a similar EDD? I think they might give our VINs later into the window since people across the country have to wait a few days to a week to get their cars delivered after getting their VIN, but Bay Area folks can just pick it up at Fremont.

More 🌪️ time!

Since we couldn't get financing arranged by yesterday, we worked it out with Fremont to have them ship the car 20 miles away to the Tesla store near our house. They told us this might delay it a week or two.

This morning I got a barrage of texts... They must already have my car at the local store because they have now scheduled us for Thursday delivery. But they set it up for home delivery!!! 🎉 (Which originally they told me they couldn't do). Tesla didn't give me a choice of date/time. But, fortunately, since it's home delivery what they selected will work.

Our Tesla financing was approved this morning as well. But I've been talking with our preferred lender, and they expect to have our loan ready by later today or tomorrow. I need to call Tesla to change the financing to third party, so I can continue with the pre-delivery tasks.

Next up is figuring out insurance... We have AAA for our other cars, but I see very few people say they've insured their Tesla's with AAA, so I'm a little worried about what they'll quote me.

There are a lot of moving parts, and some of them don't seem to fit nicely together. But with any luck I'll be driving my new car in a little more than 48 hours!

Hold from 12/16-1/5
i also have AAA ...i guess i should give them a call

More 🌪️ time!

Hold from 12/16-1/5

I like to keep all my insurance together (home, auto, umbrella) and had AAA for several years, with multiple BMWs with competitive rates. When I got my model 3 in 2018, AAA was like 25% higher than everyone else. I even called them and walked through it with them, because I liked AAA for insurance, and at the end, they were not even close to competitive, even when I told them I was going to transfer the rest of my insurance wherever my car ended up.

AAA is several companies, and I am in CA so this "may" not apply to you, but they absolutely did not want to insure teslas back then, and other people reported similar. It was not my driving record (no points, no claims, no tickets, etc etc). I pay insurance yearly, and they were 25% more for the year, which was a significant amount of money, especially since the car that was being removed from the policy was a leased BMW 435, that was fully loaded.

I only mention that because it wasnt a " oh that car is more expensive" thing, as the cost of the cars themselves were not that different.

Is home delivery or pickup better? The delivery center is only 15 minutes away, so originally they said they couldn't do delivery, but i guess that changed. I've heard about not being able to enter the car and inspect it until you accept the car if you choose delivery. Any thoughts?

I have a question. Why do some people hold their order or reject a VIN they are given? Is it because they are waiting for a car that a certain new update, such as the AMD chip? Or are there other reasons. Just curious.

Oh, my OD was 1/12 with a Mar 2 - 30 delivery date. (M3 LR AWD, White outside, black interior, 18")
Fascinating that even if someone ordered today, they would get the same delivery range as when I ordered 4 weeks ago.

I have a question. Why do some people hold their order or reject a VIN they are given? Is it because they are waiting for a car that a certain new update, such as the AMD chip? Or are there other reasons. Just curious.

Oh, my OD was 1/12 with a Mar 2 - 30 delivery date. (M3 LR AWD, White outside, black interior, 18")
Fascinating that even if someone ordered today, they would get the same delivery range as when I ordered 4 weeks ago.

In my case I had two holds. The first hold was to take delivery of the car in 2022 in case the BBB bill passes and applies to EV's purchased in 2022. Well, BBB is almost dead or dormant now, we'll see what happens to it. Afterwards, Model 3's with the updated AMD chip and 12V Li-Ion battery started to pop up. So that's when I rejected two VINs and had a hold in between. My currently assigned VIN has the updates per Tesla's SMS message and my current EDD is Feb 22 - Feb 26. So hopefully my delivery journey ends soon :)

So first, I'm not sure what everyone means by "my SA". How did you get an SA? I have no call or direct contact from a person. Only contact I have had is contact I initiated.

With regards to the third party financing, I set all that up in the order...put the lender, planned financed amount, etc. The profile showed that but it wouldn't "check the box and let me move on to completed profile status. It sat that way for almost 2 weeks maybe, so finally, I called back. that's when he told me (as I was talking to him) that he changed to cash. He said once the vin is assigned and I have the financing started on my end, call back and they would change it back.

sooo...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
SA = sales associate/store associate whatever you want to call them. I got an SA because I went into my local store and spoke to an actual person and test drove. He told me he would link himself to my email/profile so whenever I was free to purchase online, he would be linked as my SA.

My SA told me theres some issue with the third party financing page so he could input all the info for me and it would show as a completed profile. He preferred me doing it this way rather then selecting cash because when a vin is assigned, my MVPA is immediately generated. There would be no delay from switching from cash to 3rd party financing then re-enter your finance amounts and then have to wait for a MVPA to generate.