Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s only thriving because that’s was the only legal option and the automakers didn’t dare challenge the dealer lobbies.

Until Tesla showed how direct sales could be done. Many automakers are now planning to downsize franchise dealers and reduce inventory and adopt a similar direct sales approach at least for their EVs.

Yep. Ford announced last week all of their EVs will be direct sale at a fixed price, skipping the dealerships. Smart move.

Well congrats to all that got vins but really getting frustrated that Ca is still getting pushed behind other states. Two hours from Fremont and seeing east coast getting gin with OD after me is getting really old.
Remember that my VIN is because I switched to P. I should make that clear to avoid confusion. All my details are in the sig and the ones colored green is my current order status.

Well congrats to all that got vins but really getting frustrated that Ca is still getting pushed behind other states. Two hours from Fremont and seeing east coast getting gin with OD after me is getting really old.
BTW, have you talked to your SA at all? Nothing wrong with reaching out to them or calling the 800 number to see if they can tell you anything. You generally don't get much from them but at least they can tell you if there is any type of holdup with your order.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpaychek
It’s only thriving because that’s was the only legal option and the automakers didn’t dare challenge the dealer lobbies.

Until Tesla showed how direct sales could be done. Many automakers are now planning to downsize franchise dealers and reduce inventory and adopt a similar direct sales approach at least for their EVs.

There's a legal story to this? Can you elaborate? How did Tesla circumvent whatever legal obstacle there is to selling directly to consumers?

Not going to happen. Why? What do you get from the dealership that the Tesla App can't give you.
For example, more helpful information about your order/vehicle, as several complaints have indicated.

BTW, have you talked to your SA at all? Nothing wrong with reaching out to them or calling the 800 number to see if they can tell you anything. You generally don't get much from them but at least they can tell you if there is any type of holdup with your order.
Yes I have tried. I haven’t had any luck getting information from my SA. Hoping it comes this week so I can get it before my vacation starts June 19th.

24 hours until delivery!
Just got the automated call from Tesla confirming my delivery appointment tomorrow morning.
I'm guessing that this all points to being good to go and the car is at the dealership and ready for me!
I'd take a call today to come and take it off their hands, but I can hold out for another 24 hours.
How's about a drive to the lot today and see your precious M3 before delivery day? Maybe an early inspection, lol.

Reactions: T-J- and jpaychek
There's a legal story to this? Can you elaborate? How did Tesla circumvent whatever legal obstacle there is to selling directly to consumers?
The laws get very complex and vary from state to state, but the general gist of most of them is that manufacturers are not allowed to compete with franchise dealers by selling direct to consumer. They also can’t just cut their dealership contracts to reduce their dealer footprint whenever they want.

Tesla has never had any franchise dealers so they were able to circumvent or get exemptions from those laws in many states.

Some states (like Texas) still don’t allow Tesla to sell directly in the state. Some states have closed their loopholes after Tesla so the likes of Rivian and Lucid will have more hoops to jump through.

Ford’s recently announced plans for online sales will still have to rely on the dealers for PDI and delivery, but they will just provide a central online sales portal to handle paperwork etc digitally without having to deal with a salesperson or finance person IRL.

The laws get very complex and vary from state to state, but the general gist of most of them is that manufacturers are not allowed to compete with franchise dealers by selling direct to consumer. They also can’t just cut their dealership contracts to reduce their dealer footprint whenever they want.

Tesla has never had any franchise dealers so they were able to circumvent or get exemptions from those laws in many states.

Some states (like Texas) still don’t allow Tesla to sell directly in the state. Some states have closed their loopholes after Tesla so the likes of Rivian and Lucid will have more hoops to jump through.

Ford’s recently announced plans for online sales will still have to rely on the dealers for PDI and delivery, but they will just provide a central online sales portal to handle paperwork etc digitally without having to deal with a salesperson or finance person IRL.
It's definitely frustrating for those of in states where Tesla isn't allowed to operate, South Carolina for me. I'll have to drive three hours to the Charlotte, NC area to pick up and every time I need service. The old-school way of thinking needs to change.

I just got back from my credit union and I can honestly say I've never been so happy to sign away $50k. 😅 They actually gave me the check today, which was a little early considering my delivery hasn't been set. I was also surprised that they handle everything with the registration and plates, they even took the tax payments today. That leaves me with nothing more to do than pay the personal property tax on the car once I actually have said car!

I just got back from my credit union and I can honestly say I've never been so happy to sign away $50k. 😅 They actually gave me the check today, which was a little early considering my delivery hasn't been set. I was also surprised that they handle everything with the registration and plates, they even took the tax payments today. That leaves me with nothing more to do than pay the personal property tax on the car once I actually have said car!
Still waiting on mine. I went on the opening hour and they said to call back tomorrow for my application results.

Well congrats to all that got vins but really getting frustrated that Ca is still getting pushed behind other states. Two hours from Fremont and seeing east coast getting VINs assigned with later OD than is getting really old. Rates have gone up and gas and it would be nice to get a little live in Calif. sorry I haven’t vented yet but I felt it was due.
If you want to lock in current rates, with your EDD now would be the appropriate time to apply for a loan, I think.

Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

Fun fact in that article: Tesla is 60% vertically integrated while traditional auto manufacturers are more typically 20% vertically integrated. Vertical integration is a statement of how much work the company does in the process of building the car. Traditional auto makers just build engines and assemble the pieces. Nothing else.