Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Max Charging Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Can you please help my understand what the maximum charging rate is of my new Model 3 Long Range?

I’ve only been charging it home since I took delivery last week, so I haven’t had a chance to try supercharging.

I thought that the M3LR and M3P had the same rapid charging speeds, but I may have been miss-informed.

I’ve spotted the website linked below that quotes a maximum DC charge rate of:
- Long Range 190 kw
- Performance 250 kw

Can I check if those quoted Max DC charge rates are correct?

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor

Last edited:
Can you please help my understand what the maximum charging rate is of my new Model 3 Long Range?

I’ve only been charging it home since I took delivery last week, so I haven’t had a chance to try supercharging.

I thought that the M3LR and M3P had the same rapid charging speeds, but I may have been miss-informed.

I’ve spotted the website linked below that quotes a maximum DC charge rate of:
- Long Range 190 kw
- Performance 250 kw

Can I check if those quoted Max DC charge rates are correct?

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I don't know the specific answer to your question but I'll just to add to the comment by @pdk42 regarding th charge curve. In case you are not aware the rate of charge varies depending on various factors and the headline peak charging speed doesn't tell the whole story. An article at Tesla Model 3 V3 Supercharging Times: 2% To 100% State of Charge (Video) gives an idea of the issues. Clearly a car charging longer at a mid range speed can end up being faster than one with a high peak if it holds its rate over a longer span. The LR and P are unlikely to vary much in practice iIMHO. This table is from that article and shows the effects of the "curve":
table.png

Compared to how I used to wait around for my leaf to rapid charge. It was a revelation.
I was on a v2 charger and battery warm, 4% and it started at 125kw then went down to 80kw ish and sat at that for the bulk of the charge.
By the time I messed about getting food and eating, toilet stop done etc, the car was actually almost waiting for me.
There is talk that the new 2021 battery cars might be slightly lower charge rate until they have made proper assessment of how they are performing in the real world. But to be on honest it felt quick enough for me. If I had the kids with me, the car would have be waiting for me due to extra faffing etc.

Reactions: Llama.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I don't know the specific answer to your question but I'll just to add to the comment by @pdk42 regarding th charge curve. In case you are not aware the rate of charge varies depending on various factors and the headline peak charging speed doesn't tell the whole story. An article at Tesla Model 3 V3 Supercharging Times: 2% To 100% State of Charge (Video) gives an idea of the issues. Clearly a car charging longer at a mid range speed can end up being faster than one with a high peak if it holds its rate over a longer span. The LR and P are unlikely to vary much in practice iIMHO. This table is from that article and shows the effects of the "curve":
View attachment 644331

Thanks, really helpful detail. Yes I was aware of the charging curve, but was surprised by the article suggestion that the LR had a lower Max charge rate than the M3 P.

I wanted to check if this was a known thing as I hadn’t spotted this previously.