Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Neighbour(s) reactions - Stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested to see what mine say, they have had big engines Cara for a while,.including son's M3, M6, RR svr.

There is a Zoe round the corner, another model 3 somewhere, and a model X further into the area of houses.

Several comments from inquisitive neighbours...

Does Dual Motor mean it's a hybrid?

Day after delivery the lady across the road wondered if it was safe for me to store supermarket bags in the bonnet & wouldn't the heat of the engine risk a fire?

The same neighbour also sent her husband across in his dressing gown at 11pm one night when a new solar 'flickering flame' lamp came on in a plant pot adjacent to the car, reflected off the paintwork so they assumed the charger had burst into flames.

Is that black roof a solar panel? (logical idea, knowing that this is how we've been charging it so far)

Initial fascination that I pull up on the road & without stopping reverse back onto the drive, all in one continuous motion.

...& the best one from the 73 year old opposite.... "with all those cameras you showed us we've decided its better to draw the bedroom curtains earlier in case you get something you wouldn't like on your kindle thing!"

We've only got the one close neighbour;
  1. It must be such a hassle to live with.
  2. I'll get a flat battery on every trip.
  3. Chargers on the roads will all be full and I'll have to queue.
  4. It must be such an inconvenience to plug the charger in at home.
  5. His 20 year old son has told him they're the future, but what does he know.
He's a nice guy and a good neighbour, just struggling to get his head around it.

I have offered them both a ride out, when they're happy to. He has some health issues so they're understandably still being careful.

Similarly to some of the above, all for interested and positive. Immediate neighbours initially always messaged me to ask if I wanted to swap car space when they were parked in front of my house (I live on a terraced street). They now know I hardly ever need to charge it at home but I'd be happy to message them out of the blue to swap if they were out front.

They have two children too who are very interested and curious, and had chats with neighbours when it's popped up like during VE day, albeit that was still during lockdown.

Generally though I hate the "expensive car" assumption. Tesla have done very well with their brand on that, given that there's loads of fairly 'standard' cars on my road - BMWs etc - who's list prices would be the same or more than my SR+ (even ignoring all the tax incentives!). But neighbours can be all like "be careful around the Tesla Timmy!" or whatever when their children are cycling down the road, despite being sandwiched in between an X3 and a 5-series. I've never been a car person so I hate people thinking I care about it that much.

Reactions: SimonTe
Positive curiosity and fascination from all mine who mainly wanted to know about range and cost.

The most common question was, and still is: ‘how far will it go on a charge?’. Most seem to have a preconceived idea that EVs won’t go far enough for them. We all know on this forum that the answer is complicated, so now my rehearsed reply is: ‘you can drive it for well over two hours before stopping to charge for 20-30 minutes whilst you go to the loo and get a drink’. Most are surprised by that and say they normally do that anyway.

The follow on questions are usually about cost, reliability and longevity. As others have written, EVs are regarded as expensive to buy and run – they are if you drive an Aygo costing £169/month and rarely drive more than 20 miles from home. People also have an understandable concern over reliability and longevity of the new-fangled technology.

Almost everyone I have discussed it with think that EVs are the future but not for them at the moment. I can understand why they draw that conclusion, and that’s why I think EV owners will be in the minority for a few years yet. People won’t move to them en masse until it is financially attractive to do it and just as convenient to use as the ICE cars they are accustomed to buying. That’s just not the case for most people right now. There is plenty of work left for governments and car manufacturers to do to change the financial equation whilst making reliable, ubiquitous charging networks available.

...Almost everyone I have discussed it with think that EVs are the future but not for them at the moment. I can understand why they draw that conclusion, and that’s why I think EV owners will be in the minority for a few years yet....There is plenty of work left for governments and car manufacturers to do to change the financial equation whilst making reliable, ubiquitous charging networks available.

I've noticed that since Q2/June there are now at least a dozen M3s near my home. Free Pod Point or Tesla Destination chargers usually have one or two there & the other day all six type 2s & both destinations were in use by 11.30am at the local retail park (Tesco in town has 4 Pod Point bays & 2 had ICEs in them last time I went - I've put a post-it pad & pen in the glovebox since). Even the Keele N' bound superchargers had only 2/8 bays free when I needed them yesterday morning.

Maybe it won't be long before complaints about queues for charging, out of use chargers & flat battery cars become common. The petrolheads will have a field day so lets make the most of it for now...