Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Novelty & ICE/Manual Nostalgia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may not be the best place to rant about this subject, but what the heck. So I've had my Model 3 for several months now and I'm not sure if the novelty has worn off or what. I find myself really missing the experience of driving a manual (standard) transmission. As my comfort level with the car has gotten higher I notice the traction kicking on in maneuvers that didn't bug my last vehicle.

I really do love the car, the ideas it represents and the company mission -- but I haven't been able to get past my thoughts. Got agreement from the wife and posted it for sale.

Am I just losing my mind here?

The regular RWD is not a true performance vehicle with traction control settings set more for "aggressive" usage (altho a company recently claims to have figured out how to disable the nannies).

If you bought it to be a track car, then you totally bought it for the wrong reason. Sell it then if that's not what you want.

The number of manuals in America are few and getting fewer. The regular 3 is meant to be a sporty car, but not a sports car. Like a regular non-sport 3 series. You use it every day, but it's still fun to drive vs any regular old appliance vehicle like a Toyota Camry.

We're looking to replace some other cars we have. It's not gonna be an electric because of the options that are out there, none fit what we need. Choice is great.

Just sit in bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of a city commute and you'll find yourself not missing a clutch at all.

Granted though, my current daily driver being an automatic, I do often miss having the gearstick; particularly on country roads (yes you can use the shifter to move up and down the box, but it's not the same).

I think, though, that if you stuck with it longer, you'd get used to not having a manual transmission at all. As people have pointed out, if your budget allows, then a second vehicle is always an option.

Last edited:
Manual is being phased out and will only be available in enthusiast class vehicles.

I was the same when I test drove a CVT Subaru Levorg GTS. I'm going to keep my MT WRX for awhile after a got a new car for this reason or keep in a shed somewhere so when I want to smoke all four tire up at the lights I can without a digital nanny killing the fun of driving.

I mean, I'm a car guy, I get exactly what you're saying. That said, for a daily, commuter car, I think there's nothing better than an EV (lack of maintenance, quiet, comfort, low cost of operation). But still, no exhaust note, no shifting gears...

My solution? Motorcycle in the corner of the garage for when I want to have fun. Almost no better power-to-weight ratio, whole-body-engagement handling, and a clutch and gearshift. Obviously not a solution for everyone, but I think it allows me to have my cake and eat it too.

This may not be the best place to rant about this subject, but what the heck. So I've had my Model 3 for several months now and I'm not sure if the novelty has worn off or what. I find myself really missing the experience of driving a manual (standard) transmission. As my comfort level with the car has gotten higher I notice the traction kicking on in maneuvers that didn't bug my last vehicle.

I really do love the car, the ideas it represents and the company mission -- but I haven't been able to get past my thoughts. Got agreement from the wife and posted it for sale.

Am I just losing my mind here?

Your life, your money, your choice. There's no way I'd trade the instant torque and always being in the right gear for a manual transmission. If you're getting traction control kicking in where it wouldn't on the other car *at the same acceleration* (usually a Tesla does it faster than the other car could,) then you might want to think about better tires. Tesla's stock tires are fairly conservative lower rolling resistance, longer wearing tires - with the lesser traction that goes with those traits. But as always YMMV. :)

At any point during owning a manual did you regret it? If so, you might want to hold off on selling.

There's been a number of times I've been annoyed with my manual Mazda 3, despite it being quite a fun car to drive on windy roads. It's times when I'm stuck and traffic, and driving around the city that I find myself getting annoyed with clutching and shifting.

I also just had to replace the clutch in my Mazda, so there's that.

PS: Miata is the answer.

Reactions: power-eq-iv
Sounds like the Performance Model 3 is in your future

I highly doubt it.

There's a visceral feeling with driving a manual sports car. It's completely unlike the EV experience. People keep mentioning the Miata, and I agree, even though the thing is slow as hell. Straightline speed is so not the point. It's the sound and feel of the engine revving, when you press the clutch just right that allows you to quickly shift into the next gear, with great satisfaction if you can match the revs as you're taking a tight turn fighting those g forces.

It's not mashing a pedal down and being slammed back, which is a different kind of fun.

For a daily commute, the Model 3 is awesome. It's just not as easy to have fun in it like a true manual sports car.

That said, the ideal solution is to have both (ie buy a cheap Miata). If you have room for it. Because it can get REAL tedious sitting in traffic with a stick, even one as slick shifting as the Miata or S2000.

I think you are a bit crazy, but that's ok. Its your money and your driving experience. There is definitely some emotion involved in driving.

If you want to feel the engagement of the clutch, transmission, and the feeling of rowing through the gears then by all means do so. Its very 20th century.

I'm personally looking forward to the significantly less complex drive train, with higher efficiency, fewer moving parts.

Look at what Mountain Pass performance are doing with a RWD only version. This is not a one trick pony that can only go straight fast.

The stock tires are extremely hard compared to performance summer tires, and inflated past the point of optimum traction, in order to decrease the contact patch size and therefore increase range by decreasing rolling resistance. If you want more grip, I'd recommend you try a different set of tires first. The car is very capable but in the end its going to be a choice you make based on many factors.