Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 RWD vibrations at highway speed - is this an issue for others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put random winter tires on for test and vibrations went away. There was moisture in one tyre. Now I'm trying them to get me new tyres, then will probably sell them and try some different. Still not sure that it will work out with summer tires.

I also have vibration. I feel it in the steering wheel and on the floor area around pedals. Long story short: They rebalanced all wheels twice now (Road Force) and problem persists. My mechanic outside Tesla checked them again and still had vibration. We also checked flat spots on tires using laser light and all tires have flat spots. Don't know if there are tires without any deformation. Will have to change complete set of wheels and try to completely rule out the tires. Tesla SC has no idea or will not do anything else. But my steering wheel still vibrates at speed 110-130 km/h. Oh, and my rear wheels randomly slip on the highway above 140 km/h when in a slight turn.
Hello, Did you rule out the tyres as my 2nd Tesla that just arrived yesterday has the same issue as the first !!!

Hello, Did you rule out the tyres as my 2nd Tesla that just arrived yesterday has the same issue as the first !!!
I can tell you only this for a fact:
I changed tyres to winter tyres Goodyear Ultragrip 245/45/R18 100V, which are a bit wider than original but still fit.
Vibration were gone!

Now I'm looking in getting new tyres from Tesla, selling them and buying some other brand summer tyres. These Michelin E-Primacy tyres are suspect to me, as they have me slipping a lot on wet roads.

I can tell you only this for a fact:
I changed tyres to winter tyres Goodyear Ultragrip 245/45/R18 100V, which are a bit wider than original but still fit.
Vibration were gone!

Now I'm looking in getting new tyres from Tesla, selling them and buying some other brand summer tyres. These Michelin E-Primacy tyres are suspect to me, as they have me slipping a lot on wet roads.
I am going to ask the service centre to try the car with the previous 19" alloys that I had on my 2022 car and see what happens. My current and previous highland both had the Hancook tyres.

I'm in the US, and have a 2024 Model 3 with 19" Nova's. February build. I've had this vibration issue from day one. I've have it rebalanced 4 times, the problem persists. I have another appointment tomorrow. The issue I have is the validation test drives and getting them to agree there is a problem. There is constant traffic, and the freeways near the service centers are not smooth. I notice the issue on longer trips outside of the Los Angeles city center 65 mph +. It's driving me nuts. My 4th Tesla, and 30th + car. I've not had an issue like this before.
I know this is easer said than done, but if you have the means, I would honestly suggest ordering a brand new set of wheels/tires from Tirerack, with 18" wheels.

Rebalancing has NOT worked for basically anyone, and some folks have tried rebalancing as many as a dozen times.

But running different wheels/tires entirely has worked for a LOT of people (not everyone, but a lot), especially if the alternative wheels/tires were a smaller diameter.

I know this is easer said than done, but if you have the means, I would honestly suggest ordering a brand new set of wheels/tires from Tirerack, with 18" wheels.

Rebalancing has NOT worked for basically anyone, and some folks have tried rebalancing as many as a dozen times.

But running different wheels/tires entirely has worked for a LOT of people (not everyone, but a lot), especially if the alternative wheels/tires were a smaller diameter.
Thanks for your input. I took it in this morning, and they said they'd do a more comprehensive look at it this time. They also said they would try to swap another set of wheels and tires on it to see if it remedies the issue. This was planned for a two year lease, so I don't want the expense of another set of wheels and tires. I may have to try to have Tesla take the car back if it can't be resolved. I've had this issue and others from day one, and have under 3k miles as it's annoying to drive. It has wasted a lot of time for me and others.

Thanks for your input. I took it in this morning, and they said they'd do a more comprehensive look at it this time. They also said they would try to swap another set of wheels and tires on it to see if it remedies the issue. This was planned for a two year lease, so I don't want the expense of another set of wheels and tires. I may have to try to have Tesla take the car back if it can't be resolved. I've had this issue and others from day one, and have under 3k miles as it's annoying to drive. It has wasted a lot of time for me and others.
Yeah, a second set of wheels/tires isn’t really a viable proposition for a 2-year lease.

Let us know the results of Tesla’s experiment swapping new wheels/tires.

so I went to Wolverhampton service centre and the service technician and the manager were both extremely helpful and I wish I had met them when I bought my highland in march as I am sure I would not had ending up rejecting the car (they only opened in may). the reason I say this is because when I was visiting the other service centres during march I had suggested to the service centres that we should try the 19" alloys of the previous model 3 and see if I had any vibrations but they chose to ignore me, which meant the problems were not fixed so I ending up rejecting the car and ordering a new model 3.

As you know from the initial thread even the new highland that I collected on Wednesday had the exact same issues but this time when I visited the Wolverhampton service centre and I was able to show the technician the fault on a test drive and suggested that we swap the wheels with the previous gen model 3 they agreed and when we went for a test drive the vibrations had felt like they had gone. Now I am not 100% sure of that and that's because I need to be doing 67mph plus and due to the traffic on the motorway I was only able to achieve that a few times and for about 10-20 seconds but I am confident that swapping the wheels has made a big difference. When I returned to the SC I was advised that first all the wheels will be balanced using the newer road force machine and also the wheels will be checked for alignment because I feel the steering is not perfectly level and then I need to try the car and if the vibrations are still there then the service manager will get approval to replace all 4 tyres (long winded but that unfortunately for me is the process)

If it does turn out that replacing all the tyre fixes the issues for me then I will be so cheesed off at Tesla as I asked them to try the older wheels and they ignored me, which meant I had to reject the car then I had to buy a cheap run around for a few thousand and pay for insurance, cancel my Tesla insurance etc until my new Tesla come and all this could have been avoided had they did what Wolverhampton SC are now doing/done. so far I have lost about 4K and will be writing to Tesla for some sort of compensation as all this happened because there service centres were not competent enough to apply some common sense in trying to diagnose a fault.

hopefully next week I will know 100% if the vibrations have finally been cleared.

ps I personally think that these new generation hancook tyres are to blame as my previous 2022 LR had the 19" hancook tyres and I had 2 years of trouble free driving and those same tyres were also on the donor car we took the wheels from for our test drive. I am pretty sure the old generation were T0 and the new gen tyres are T1 and the new gen have an issue with flat spots during transportation as other members have suggested.