Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now eligible for OLEV charge point install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve opted for the Tesla WC. It is costing me more than the cheapest alternative I had obtained installation quotes for. By about £500 (coincidentally the same as the subsidy for the charge points that qualify), but I am already making the substantial investment in the Tesla and I prefer the aesthetics of the Tesla WC. It is not a decision made purely from logic, but emotion plays a part in these things for me as well.

Don't go with an electrician who's recommended on the Tesla website, they charge a fortune for work that any electrician can do. Find a well rated local electrician on checkatrade and go with them.

I've got a quote for ~£500 (plus the cost of buying the Tesla Wall charger) which includes drilling through two walls, supplying and laying 22m of armored high amperage cable, supplying and fitting a new consumer unit with multiple fuses, and completely redoing all of the existing electrics in our garage.

I like the look of this charger Premium Electric Car Charging Points for Home or Business | Andersen

I guess it depends on if your car and charger is in a closed garage where no one will see it or if it will be outside and seen, in which case it has to at least look good. A lot of the chargers out there are just plain ugly.

Wow. Those really look gorgeous. I guess it depends where you're going to put the charging point, like you said. Mine is going to go down the side of my house, which nobody can see from the road, so I'm going with a Podpoint.

If i needed to put the charger in a visible place I'd be tempted by those Andersen chargers.

Where's he buying the Type-B or Type-EV RCD from?

I can't find them below about £300. I could believe an installer buying in bulk can get them at a better price, but your local guy is presumably in the same position as I am trying to buy just one or two.

The quote I have from a Tesla recommended installer lists a Type-A RCCB, rather than Type-B or Type-EV RCD. I don't have a line-item price for that but the total price for all equipment comes to £290 + VAT, which includes cabling, consumer units, etc.

installation quotes for the wall chargers

Labour £275
Materials £135
Earth rod £75
Certification / Building control £25

OLEV approved charger is about £30 more than the grant, or spend £460 (RRP) on a Tesla wall charger

Excluding VAT

Find a well rated local electrician on checkatrade and go with them.

They won't get you an OLEV approved one, and grant, though will they? But the OLEV approved lot can charge so much more that the sums work of course ...

I've got a quote for ~£500 (plus the cost of buying the Tesla Wall charger)

Consider an OLEV approved charger instead? Tesla one score s for 3-Phase (most don't have that) and load-balance when charging multiple cars (most don't have that !!) and maybe also "looks" :) but other than that OLEV-approved with grant should save £400 overall.