Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Off-Road Rally Car Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will you have to make special braces under the car for the full roll cage Will it tie into the car above or below the battery. Are you running ARX 2 class or Sierra ARX 3 class
2019.10.02_MO_ARX.jpg

The EV rally landscape is blowing up as you probably know Thomas. You have e-WRC in two years, numerous one off's, E-Extreme along w two manufacturers that have announced production EV rally cars. Our primary mission is to take part in changing the image/perception of EVs to what they already are, superior to petrol cars. So we're working with Tesla's trying to keep them as close to stock a possible, and offering people the opportunity to explore the boundaries of the car's performance in a safe environment. So we're not going w a spec rally school, but we've heard from some interested parties to host events on the big course (the full 1,500-acre track).

FIA plans electric or hybrid WRC rules for 2022

Extreme E's radical 400kW, all-terrain electric racer breaks cover at Goodwood | FIA Formula E

Reactions: Dolemite and shs1
I do visit Yosemite National Park every year. Charging inside the park can be difficult; there Is only one Tesla HPC and one J1772 at the Ahwahnee Hotel and they are heavily used. There is one other J1772 in Yosemite Village but it is often blocked by other cars. I always charge at either the Groveland or Fish Camp Supercharger before driving into the park. I have written to the Park Superintendent about the lack of EV charging in the park and received a reply, basically “We’re working on it”.

I spoke to an Aramark manager a few weeks ago (Aramark runs all the hotels/stores/etc). They said a few more chargers were in the works, apparently coming in the next few months.

I believe it when I see it. ;)

I'd love to try this when it's complete. One of my bucket list things would be to attend a DirtFish rally school. The only PC gaming I've done since 2015 is Dirt Rally followed by Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR (Oculus Rift and full driving rig). It's such a blast but very mentally (and somewhat physically) draining.

When I think of rally car racing in a BEV, I wonder about managing speed. The way I know how fast I'm going in these games is by knowing what gear I'm in (which is why I prefer the H-shifter to sequential, but I do configure the cars the way they were in real life) and multiply that by the sound of the engine revving. If you have time to check your speed, you're clearly not going fast enough :D. I'm curious what your experience has been with this while testing out your cars. Do you often find yourself approaching a corner going far faster than you thought you were compared to when driving an ICE vehicle? How do you manage this problem?

Please do keep us updated on your progress. Thread bookmarked.

I'm not sure how you're going to deal with consumption - other than the standard car stuff- any sort of racing has lead me to believe the car is good for only about 50-60 miles worth of hard/fast driving - and then you need a supercharger if you're going to fill it back up in less than 8 hours…

do you have thoughts on how you're going to charge these rally cars?

I'm not sure how you're going to deal with consumption - other than the standard car stuff- any sort of racing has lead me to believe the car is good for only about 50-60 miles worth of hard/fast driving - and then you need a supercharger if you're going to fill it back up in less than 8 hours…

do you have thoughts on how you're going to charge these rally cars?

50-60 miles, that’s eco driving. :D Each hot lap at Laguna Seca takes 5% soc. Each lap is 2.2 miles. Even if you go from 100% to 0%, 44 miles is the most you will get.