Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Order - Trade-in Debacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my model 3 on April 14 and took delivery a couple weeks later. Paperwork had an issue but was all handled within two weeks of delivery. Fast forward a couple weeks and I get a withdrawal from my bank account from Audi. I call Audi and they tell me that they received a check from Tesla but for the wrong amount to pay off the car. This has been going on now for 60+ days. Tesla keeps saying “management is working on it” but that’s been their answer for weeks now and I’m about to drive the car to the showroom and throw them they keys and demand they take it back if they can’t figure this out.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I ordered my model 3 on April 14 and took delivery a couple weeks later. Paperwork had an issue but was all handled within two weeks of delivery. Fast forward a couple weeks and I get a withdrawal from my bank account from Audi. I call Audi and they tell me that they received a check from Tesla but for the wrong amount to pay off the car. This has been going on now for 60+ days. Tesla keeps saying “management is working on it” but that’s been their answer for weeks now and I’m about to drive the car to the showroom and throw them they keys and demand they take it back if they can’t figure this out.

Mike

Call/Email/Chat Tesla everyday until they figure it out. Its the only thing that worked for me when they needed to refund me

Mike

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: You would think Tesla would figure it out quick because they can't get the title to the car if it still had a lien on it.

My increasingly vague recollection of my trade-in experience was that I made a couple payments after all my payoff info had been recorded. In the end, when Tesla paid, my payoff amount was lower, by 2 payments, so I got a check back.

It was annoying because I had to check every couple days to see if they had paid or not. Tesla needs to let you know that they may not pay by the supposedly agreed upon date cause you assume they will.

I’m didn’t check that. I trusted they knew what they were doing :-/

When I did my trade-in the online process calculates the trade-in value for the vehicle itself but I was responsible for entering the payoff amount for the existing loan. You just go online or call the bank and get a 10 day payoff quote. Then as we got closer to delivery I would got another payoff quote so it would give them enough time to make the payment and cover the balance.

Unfortunately, you can’t trust this kind of stuff will always go smooth. If they took too long to payoff the loan and they don’t include the per day interest in the payment, or call the bank to get another payoff they come up short, then the account never shows paid in full and the loan is kept open.

• Informative
Reactions: TampaRich