Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Brake Rust Ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

terranx

Aug 29, 2019
USA
I’ve noticed my brakes have a rust ring at the outer ridge. Had this problem for a while now, thought it might go away as I used the brakes more, but that doesn’t really seem to be happening. Is this just expected on model 3s or is there something screwy causing the outer portion of the brake pad to not make contact with the rotor?

6405D1AE-0FCC-4A14-B830-89558C4E8364.jpeg

8AB4C3F8-E679-4381-9870-91A7EF87340A.jpeg

Yeah it seems like that. Do other Teslas have brake pads of a similar shape, just shorter?

Probably would make sense for me to just pop off the brakes and check it out, but I don't really feel like it. Will probably schedule service at some point (but that's still a 2 hour drive for me and my schedule isn't the easiest).

Yeah it seems like that. Do other Teslas have brake pads of a similar shape, just shorter?

Probably would make sense for me to just pop off the brakes and check it out, but I don't really feel like it. Will probably schedule service at some point (but that's still a 2 hour drive for me and my schedule isn't the easiest).
I'd stick your phone thru one of the spokes to get an image of the pad against the rotor, to see if the pad is actually short for some weird reason.

Reactions: android04 and Adam3
Hard to get a good picture (not going to bother uploading one here), but it sure looks like the pad is making contact. Maybe I do just need to use the brakes more, but I did deliberately do some ABS stops...

Maybe I'll try taking it out in track mode with regen set to 0 and see where I get.

Reactions: rpiotro and Adam3
About 6k miles on the car. Definitely can get by with regen most of the time, but I have attempted bedding the brakes similarly to how I would have with gas cars (repeated near-ABS 60-10 braking events). But maybe with the regen I’m just not able to get things hot enough before ABS kicks in.

If I can’t get it cleared I’ll take it in for service. Just wish I had one closer by.

Anyone try the Service Mode "brake burnishing" setting?
Just messed around with this. Cool feature. Basically what it does is disable regen and gives you a visualization as to how much brake force you're applying. It'll also guide you through the 50 to near 0 stop cycles with some dings.

Anyway, seems like I was underestimating just how much the regen brakes were contributing to the brake force and I wasn't able to bed the pads that well. While it's difficult to bed brakes properly on the street, the above feature definitely does make it a little easier.

Rust ring isn't entirely gone yet, but it is improving. A few more cycles should do the trick

1663023375017.jpeg