Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance feels slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a new 2021 Model 3 Performance...it might just be me but it feels a bit sluggish. Wondering if anyone else who has taken delivery of a relatively new 2021 M3P feels the same?...please see some factors below:

- Sport mode driving + red line under car name + obstacle aware acceleration off
- Did several 0-60 runs on a dry and what appeared to be close to flat road at 75% SoC...didn't use a dragy so could be off a bit but I wasn't getting anything below 3.7 seconds
- Parents have a 2020 M3 LR + accelaration boost which to me feels faster, both from 0 and in a rolling scenario starting at anything from 20-60mph...I feel a kick when I stomp on the accelerator whereas on the new M3P it feels smoother and slower...I haven't actually timed it yet but will do in the next day or 2 on the same road as I tried the new M3P at same-ish SoC
- New delivery M3P is definitely on an old software version...haven't gotten the latest one pushed to me yet...wondering if that will make a difference?

No dots on the right side, but regen side may have had a few good point...I think the battery was warmed up enough...it was about 38-42 degrees faranheit outside. Maybe those conditions slow it down a tad...still expected < 3.6 at least. I could definitely be overthinking this...could be in my head a bit. Just wondering if I'm alone in thinking/feeling this. Thanks!

No dots on the right side, but regen side may have had a few good point...I think the battery was warmed up enough...it was about 38-42 degrees faranheit outside. Maybe those conditions slow it down a tad...still expected < 3.6 at least. I could definitely be overthinking this...could be in my head a bit. Just wondering if I'm alone in thinking/feeling this. Thanks!

Why do you "think the battery was warmed up enough" (on what are you basing that)?

These cars take quite a bit of time to warm up a battery, because there is no waste heat generated. As a point of information for you, when I need to drive into work, its 40 miles one way, with at least 20 of those miles on a freeway with a speed limit of 70MPH and an actual traveling speed of 80 MPH. My car is parked in my fully enclosed, drywalled, garage with insulated garage doors, and the garage never gets below 50 degrees.

I live in southern california.

On the drive above, I have "limited regen" dots from when I get in the car in the morning, until I exit the freeway 25 miles later, with the car being driven at 80MPH (translation, the battery still isnt fully warm).

If it was "38 / 42" outside, a cold battery explains that result.

With recent software you will have no regen dots once your battery reaches around 52F. However, at that temperature the power is limited, with no dots on the power side. On my AWD with boost, i can see max power output of around 220kW without any dots anywhere, and I know my max power output reaches around 330kW at its peak when the battery is warm enough.
Said another way, the power bar's right side (power) isn't a precise indicator.

As the others said, that was a cold battery. Pick up an adapter and obd scanner so you can use scanmytesla (Android) to see the temps. If it was 40 degrees, and you started with 90% battery, there's no way possible the battery was warmed up by the time it reached 75%.

Yeah. The 21s with the heat pump are extremly Inconsistent. Below 40* and you will see a loss in power starting around 80% unfortunetly. This car needs warm temps (45f+) and warm batteries to warrant the "performance" badge sadly. Invest in scan my tesla app and hardware. Lots of info available through the app.

Reactions: rm1626
In 32* I walked a modified 5.0 mustang from a 30-80... (80% charge)

you have to consider how crazy fast this thing is. Yes. It’s slower when it’s really cold, and ICEs are faster when it’s cold. But on the flip side, this thing is faster when it’s hot, and ICEs are slower when it’s hot.

I’m engineering and physics there are always trade offs. Period. Being slower in the cold or low charge is our trade off.

The benefit is it’s an absolute monster 0-100 with zero traction issues and pure acceleration off the line. In the real world, while I’m sure there are times were in the “going to jail” speeds, that is the exception. The norm is being able to stomp anyone in reasonable on road speeds, plus the sheer enjoyment of having a car that has this kind of pull on demand.

Even in the cold at 50% charge it’s still fast by any four door car metric. In idea conditions it’s one of the fastest four doors on the planet.

I don't have dynos for the 2021 models but someone dynoed an AWD+Boost or a Performance with various SOC. Essentially, unless your battery is very low, your 0-70kmh (say 0-40mph) will be the same. After that, there is a difference but over 50% the car still pulls very well. That should be enough for day to day as @Mahamilto said.
Looking at ScanMyTesla on my 2020 AWD+Boost, temperature is the worst offender for performance, way more than SOC.

Do Teslas become faster over time (not counting software updates or mods)? I test drove a used 2018 Model 3 Performance with 48K miles on it. The car was completely stock and the acceleration was scary fast. Almost violent. I didn't buy this car but found another completely stock 2018 Model 3 Performance with all the same options, including the 20" wheels but this car has 16K miles on it. I bought it sight on seen out of state so I didn't test drive it. Now the car is fast don't get me wrong but the other higher millage Model 3 just felt way faster. I know ICE cars actually get faster over time then after about 60K miles they slow down a bit as thing wear out. How is this for Teslas and what would explain the difference in perceived speed?

Your experience likely has to do with state of charge, or weather or the fact that your battery is likely cold (and yes, the battery gets cold in southern california too, regardless of where you park it).

=========================

Moderator note: moved your post into a relevant thread because the question you are actually asking is "why does my model 3 performance feel slower than the one I drove?"

Do Teslas become faster over time (not counting software updates or mods)? I test drove a used 2018 Model 3 Performance with 48K miles on it. The car was completely stock and the acceleration was scary fast. Almost violent. I didn't buy this car but found another completely stock 2018 Model 3 Performance with all the same options, including the 20" wheels but this car has 16K miles on it. I bought it sight on seen out of state so I didn't test drive it. Now the car is fast don't get me wrong but the other higher millage Model 3 just felt way faster. I know ICE cars actually get faster over time then after about 60K miles they slow down a bit as thing wear out. How is this for Teslas and what would explain the difference in perceived speed?
SoC has a lot to do with acceleration as does temperature and warming up/preconditioning the battery

If this was your first experience with the accelerator of an M3P, I think Madonna said it best... Like a virgin, touched for the very first time

You'll always remember your first ;)

I have charged mine to 100%, I warmed it up and again it feels fast but not like the other I drove. The SOC of the one I tested was 90% and the temp that day was actually cooler but I have run mine at different temps and the same thing. Also the first one I drove the guy never charged it at home, 100% supercharged it for almost 50K miles. That was one of the reasons I didn't buy it plus the higher miles. Do Teslas get faster over time??

I have charged mine to 100%, I warmed it up and again it feels fast but not like the other I drove. The SOC of the one I tested was 90% and the temp that day was actually cooler but I have run mine at different temps and the same thing. Also the first one I drove the guy never charged it at home, 100% supercharged it for almost 50K miles. That was one of the reasons I didn't buy it plus the higher miles. Do Teslas get faster over time??

No, they dont. They go more or less fast off the line depending on battery state of charge and battery warmth, which most times new owners mistake for the car being warm.

If the other car was only supercharged, if they just got done taking it from a supercharge session shortly before you drove it, THAT battery was definitely warm. Unless you charged your car to 90-100% then immediately got in it, the battery likely wasnt warm enough for full power, even though the car was.

I can take my 90% charged car and drive my 40 mile each way to work commute, and my battery is not fully warmed up until I have completed approximately 30 miles of driving (in southern california, so same general weather as you).