Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (Minor Curb Collision)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have quite the concern.

I have a 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. On Sunday, I came very close to a collision with another car that cut in front of me while I was about to merge on the highway. What resulted from that was me having to swerve on the side of the driver, which thankfully didn’t result in a sideswipe, but I did however end up jumping a curb at about 35MPH (pretty rough right) and from that my back tire exploded, my back rim cracked and my front rim had a 1in dent in it. There is no physical damage to the Tesla.

But I eventually replaced the rims and tire, but however I did notice while on the highway if I exceed about 80MPH the car shakes a lot and becomes very unstable while switching lanes, small turns, etc. another problem I have noticed is that if I’m driving over 20MPH and I go over a small hump in the road, the back of the car sways almost as if it’s about to loose control, but it never does. Of course the sways get more aggressive the faster I’m going.

I am basically looking for an answer as to what this could be. I’m in contact with a shop that is agreeing to work on my Tesla, but they are unable to source parts due to Tesla being… Tesla. So I was looking for insight on the problem, and also once the problem is confirmed by my mechanic, I was looking for information on where I can buy parts, aftermarket or OEM.

Any help is really appreciated!
-Shawn

Hi,

I have quite the concern.

I have a 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. On Sunday, I came very close to a collision with another car that cut in front of me while I was about to merge on the highway. What resulted from that was me having to swerve on the side of the driver, which thankfully didn’t result in a sideswipe, but I did however end up jumping a curb at about 35MPH (pretty rough right) and from that my back tire exploded, my back rim cracked and my front rim had a 1in dent in it. There is no physical damage to the Tesla.

But I eventually replaced the rims and tire, but however I did notice while on the highway if I exceed about 80MPH the car shakes a lot and becomes very unstable while switching lanes, small turns, etc. another problem I have noticed is that if I’m driving over 20MPH and I go over a small hump in the road, the back of the car sways almost as if it’s about to loose control, but it never does. Of course the sways get more aggressive the faster I’m going.

I am basically looking for an answer as to what this could be. I’m in contact with a shop that is agreeing to work on my Tesla, but they are unable to source parts due to Tesla being… Tesla. So I was looking for insight on the problem, and also once the problem is confirmed by my mechanic, I was looking for information on where I can buy parts, aftermarket or OEM.

-Shawn

If you are talking to a shop that is "agreeing to work on your tesla but unable to source the parts" then they are likely not the shop that should be working on your tesla. Parts for a tesla come from tesla, for the most part. Any shop that was going to replace stuff on your car with non tesla parts wouldnt need help sourcing parts.

You need another shop.

-Shawn
Is this a shop you trust a lot and worked with you on your previous cars? If not, I agree with others it may be better to look for another shop that can source the parts themselves.

If it is a shop you trust, they should be able to tell you what part it is and you can buy the parts from Tesla directly yourself from your local Tesla Service Center if your shop looks up the part number (which may be marked on the part itself, may be found on eBay by looking at used parts). Google Lens or Google Image search can be a useful tool to identify unknown parts (I have helped a few people do that before using those). There are certain parts that may be restricted from owner purchase, but I doubt suspension components are part of it (edit, a quick look at Tesla's part catalog says they are not restricted).

Note you can find a service manual for the Model 3 here, although keep in mind it may not be up to date and may not necessarily apply to your particular vehicle.
Fix Your Tesla - Tesla Model 3 service manual.

The official parts catalog is here:
Parts Catalog

Edit: I never looked at it myself, but the catalog actually shows which parts are restricted. The suspension parts have no restrictions and are even available over the counter (no VIN required). Not sure where your shop is getting "Tesla being... Tesla". Have they even tried buying the parts from Tesla themselves?

Last edited:
Is this a shop you trust a lot and worked with you on your previous cars? If not, I agree with others it may be better to look for another shop that can source the parts themselves.

If it is a shop you trust, they should be able to tell you what part it is and you can buy the parts from Tesla directly yourself from your local Tesla Service Center if your shop looks up the part number (which may be marked on the part itself, may be found on eBay by looking at used parts). Google Lens or Google Image search can be a useful tool to identify unknown parts (I have helped a few people do that before using those). There are certain parts that may be restricted from owner purchase, but I doubt suspension components are part of it (edit, a quick look at Tesla's part catalog says they are not restricted).

Note you can find a service manual for the Model 3 here, although keep in mind it may not be up to date and may not necessarily apply to your particular vehicle.
Fix Your Tesla - Tesla Model 3 service manual.

The official parts catalog is here:
Parts Catalog

Edit: I never looked at it myself, but the catalog actually shows which parts are restricted. The suspension parts have no restrictions and are even available over the counter (no VIN required). Not sure where your shop is getting "Tesla being... Tesla". Have they even tried buying the parts from Tesla themselves?
Thanks for all the information, but yes I trust this shop and they’ve worked on my other vehicles, though Tesla is new to them they are willing. But I will tell them this information and see how it goes.