Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance price increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But then the most polluting, highest mileage, drivers are not encouraged, only the people who do a few tens of miles to work each day.

Just playing devils advocate here and coming from an urban air quality strategy rather than a global warming one - often actions best suited for one contradicts the other, ie petrol vs diesel/CO2 vs NOx.

So using very broad assumptions here, but I suspect high mileage drivers don't contribute so much towards urban air pollution as perhaps commuters on their average 10 mile commute / school run no2idle. So keeping pollution out of the cities is probably best tackled by means other than incentivising high mileage travellers.

Reactions: Adopado
I ordered my M3P two days after the budget announcement and was massively annoyed by it, and considered switching to the LR model but on reflection feel okay about it.

At the end of the day if the extra 3 grand makes it unaffordable, it probably wasn't really affordable in the first place.

I'm all for encouraging EV adoption but most average people aren't playing in the 50k range and those who are likely can benefit from the BiK changes. That just leaves a few idiots like me willing to pay the extra.

I suspect high mileage drivers don't contribute so much towards urban air pollution as perhaps commuters on their average 10 mile commute / school run no2idle

Good point on urban pollution. EV moves that to the smokestack out-of-ton, or to North Sea Wind even better. I'm sure there is a joke around Fart Mode but I can't think of one ...

But as you say, winners-and-losers for sure.

That just leaves a few idiots like me willing to pay the extra

Only you will know how smug you are, when you are driving around. Or maybe there is a bumper-sticker you cold get? :)

I don't think Tesla will raise prices. The current prices aren't necessarily reflective of the bill of materials cost of the car. Tesla, like every auto manufacturer (every business?) is going to be squeezed hard while this is going on, and for some time afterwards. I think they're either likely to keep the prices as they are - and swallow the FX difference - or maybe even lower them slightly. We'll see.

I ordered my M3P two days after the budget announcement and was massively annoyed by it, and considered switching to the LR model but on reflection feel okay about it.

At the end of the day if the extra 3 grand makes it unaffordable, it probably wasn't really affordable in the first place.

I'm all for encouraging EV adoption but most average people aren't playing in the 50k range and those who are likely can benefit from the BiK changes. That just leaves a few idiots like me willing to pay the extra.
I like your style :)

Does placing an order now lock the customer into current pricing?

I am swaying between leasing or PCP at the moment so as I understand it I can order now and have up until the day of delivery can cancel and if needs be the leasing company can take over the order?

In the past if price has gone up (e.g. currency, but not e.g. Government removing a Grant) then Tesla have honoured original price.

If price goes up, for example, because your model discontinued and now bigger battery size (at high price) then Tesla have offered upgrade to bigger battery (using original price list), or downgrade to smaller battery (with refund) (and on the occasion I'm thinking of, when it was possible to order with up to 6 month lead, they also offered "take that battery version, but NOW")

If price goes down they have given the lower price.

If something else, which would be in customer's favour (can't think of one, but for example FSD went up for new features, people complained those features were prohibited in UK so not actually available, Tesla put the price back down for UK (etc) ) in that instance if you ordered at higher price Tesla have, historically, invoiced the lower price. Tesla have also done after-payment refunds in some similar circumstances too

So basically my summary would be that Tesla have done it right by the customer in such circumstances, but I expect there have been some exceptions

Many of us early Model 3 adopters had both a price increase and a price decrease between ordering and taking delivery. Whilst its not strictly true that Tesla will lock you in to current pricing, apart from items outside their control, so long as you do not change your spec, Tesla at least made sure that on total order value we were not disadvantaged and most even saw a price drop.

We did however have some items rise in price and some decrease because Tesla basically repriced the whole car at the new 'book price'. For instance, early orders of FSD came with a £1000 (ish) discount, but during a price adjustment, base price of the car itself reduced (it got complicated as some model options, such as LR AWD were removed) by iirc £2500. After price adjustment, you lost the £1000 but gained the £2500, net £1500 or so. Likewise, Tesla swapped the chargeable £1x00 white option and free black option. So some that had originally ordered 'free' black, were then charged £1000 ish for it. They either still gained overall or were given the option to stick at original price, or twist to swap black for white - a double saving. I cannot remember the exact details of the price rise, but it worked along the same lines.

tl;dr Based upon our past experience, you should be fine so long as Tesla were controlling the pricing.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I can't see an issue with ordering now, as long as you're happy with the current price.

Realistically unless the Fremont factory gets cracking again then I would wonder how many June deliveries there is actually going to be. I don't suppose they'll be flat out like in Q1?

If the price goes up, you should have your price honoured (or cancel if unhappy), and if it goes down you should be able to renegotiate it to the lower price.

So some that had originally ordered 'free' black, were then charged £1000 ish for it

And for my early-delivery one I paid for White, and that then became free (and didn't become the cheap-and-nasty white that they threatened ...)

Over the years there have been plenty of list-price drops soon-after-purchase which annoyed people ... but nothing you can do about that, EV price is downward as manufacturers scale-up and battery price falls ... £/$ notwithstanding.