Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Unplugged Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I can get a great deal on a used unplugged performance model 3 coil over set. From what I can find out they should fit the same but (might)have different dampening or spring rates? Isn’t the weight difference like 400lbs from 3 to y? Is it that much of a deal breaker?

This company sells/installs TEIN coilovers that they state are interchangeable with the 3 and Y or for about the same price I can get a slightly used set of unplugged coilovers from my friends 3 performance. Has anyone run model 3 coilovers on their Y?

Reactions: Moto Miwa
So I can get a great deal on a used unplugged performance model 3 coil over set. From what I can find out they should fit the same but (might)have different dampening or spring rates? Isn’t the weight difference like 400lbs from 3 to y? Is it that much of a deal breaker?
If there is enough adjustment height wise, you are good to go! The minimal weight increase shouldn't matter if you are after ride quality. The performance of the coilovers may suffer a bit though.

Reactions: Payjack
This company sells/installs TEIN coilovers that they state are interchangeable with the 3 and Y or for about the same price I can get a slightly used set of unplugged coilovers from my friends 3 performance. Has anyone run model 3 coilovers on their Y?
yes, and no. The front will be perfectly fine, but the rear you may not find enough ride height. Max out the rear adjuster lowers a Model 3 about 1/4 to 3/8", that means 1/2" or more on the Y. If you are looking to lower the Y, it will work fine. Running near stock height? Call TEIN to confirm.

Reactions: Payjack

Hi

The TEIN FLEX Z is their economy line with twin-tube shock system, so the performance and feel would be something entirely different with UP's Monotube systems. TEIN has higher end Monotube systems which may compare more to the UP fairly.
Of course, there is a different barometer for everyone to feel differences and what the values are intrinsically. So I won't say there is a better or worse here.

With the Model 3 system used on the Model Y at least on UP's current coilover, I think the shock body itself is more than capable and within range of its
30-way adjustments to cater to Model Y requirements. The Monotube system Unplugged makes, have very wide range adjustment of rebound and high-speed compression parameters that is pertinent to being able to fine tune the ride quality and overall dynamic transition handing characters.
The spring rates are fairly close too for their Model 3 (Dual Motor) and Model Y Dual Motor spec'd coilover. More recent ones (ones with gold springs, as opposed to green springs) made in the last couple of years have a VERY nice Japan-made Swift spring sets too, and they are the key to making the recent "Luxury coilover" as well as "Dirt and Snow Coilover" systems so compliant and comfortable.

Keep in mind though, ALL shock absorbers (dampers) have a finite life, so if you are buying used, be sure it isn't too old.

Adjustable ones will be able to tighten up a bit to compensate for age, but when too old, they do degrade fast or leak...any shock.

For ANY shocks, if it's over 10~15,000 miles old, I would say it is half used up and isn't worth the huge amount of labor to install used... This, because 30-40K (bumpy USA road) miles would really be the point when we should be rebuilding monotube shocks, or replacing twin tubes anyway.
If that Unplugged coilover has gold colored "Swift" branded springs, and seller's car is a young mileage car, I would say it's good. :)

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Hi

The TEIN FLEX Z is their economy line with twin-tube shock system, so the performance and feel would be something entirely different with UP's Monotube systems. TEIN has higher end Monotube systems which may compare more to the UP fairly.
Of course, there is a different barometer for everyone to feel differences and what the values are intrinsically. So I won't say there is a better or worse here.

With the Model 3 system used on the Model Y at least on UP's current coilover, I think the shock body itself is more than capable and within range of its
30-way adjustments to cater to Model Y requirements. The Monotube system Unplugged makes, have very wide range adjustment of rebound and high-speed compression parameters that is pertinent to being able to fine tune the ride quality and overall dynamic transition handing characters.
The spring rates are fairly close too for their Model 3 (Dual Motor) and Model Y Dual Motor spec'd coilover. More recent ones (ones with gold springs, as opposed to green springs) made in the last couple of years have a VERY nice Japan-made Swift spring sets too, and they are the key to making the recent "Luxury coilover" as well as "Dirt and Snow Coilover" systems so compliant and comfortable.

Keep in mind though, ALL shock absorbers (dampers) have a finite life, so if you are buying used, be sure it isn't too old.

Adjustable ones will be able to tighten up a bit to compensate for age, but when too old, they do degrade fast or leak...any shock.

For ANY shocks, if it's over 10~15,000 miles old, I would say it is half used up and isn't worth the huge amount of labor to install used... This, because 30-40K (bumpy USA road) miles would really be the point when we should be rebuilding monotube shocks, or replacing twin tubes anyway.
If that Unplugged coilover has gold colored "Swift" branded springs, and seller's car is a young mileage car, I would say it's good. :)

Wow awesome write up! He told me they are swift springs but they aren’t gold. I’ll attach a picture below. I’ll also ask him about how long they were on for! Thank you!

Attachments

• C99290FE-CA49-4A57-A3A8-4DC8F259FCA9.jpeg
    C99290FE-CA49-4A57-A3A8-4DC8F259FCA9.jpeg
    749.4 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: UnpluggedP
Most good quality, higher-end dampers/coilovers can be rebuilt to bring the valving back to like-new. I think it's fairly common when buying used coilovers with high miles, or a lot of track miles, to just go ahead and have them rebuilt before spending time/money to install. Might as well while they're off the car, if they have significant miles on them. What is "high miles" I don't really know and can probably vary a lot depending on the specific damper and how it was used.

Also you can generally get the valving customized at that point. Though if the original valving was already well-spec'd for the car, and you don't have the experience to know that you actually want anything different, I would strongly suggest just having them rebuilt to their original spec. If you do get significant valving changes you'll probably be wanting different matched springs as well, which would add cost.

In general I assume track miles are way harder than street miles on any car parts, however to @Moto Miwa's point I've wondered if nasty bumpy USA roads are actually rougher on suspension in some ways than smooth racetrack use!

IMO any street-friendly damper *ought* to be good for more than just 30k street miles between rebuilds. I say "ought" because I'm no expert, that's just an opinion of what is reasonable. Sure I'd expect a true race car damper might wear out very quick, because the typical user is having them rebuilt every racing season (every year), but for more enthusiast level stuff where the typical buyer is still primarily using their car for street use, I wouldn't be happy if the dampers feel truly worn out that quick. Now I'm not saying that after 30k miles they would measure 100% same as new on a shock dyno, that I've no idea, I'm just saying that if they felt truly worn out that quick, I'd be disappointed. I've driven cars with truly worn out shocks, on street and even on track, and it sucks and the handling sucks. No quality road car suspension should be that worn out from 30k street miles IMO! (The car I took out for one track session that turned out to have blown shocks was a Lemons racer, what do you expect? 😄) (Also if those 30k miles were all NYC roads or something like that, then this is all out the window, probably the whole car is done for at that point. 😛)

This is all just my 2c, I'm in no way an expert on this. I have some fancy rebuildable coilovers on my M3P (as well as a couple bushing upgrades), but I bought them new and have less than 15k miles on them so far. Not feeling any reason for a revalve yet, I can't feel any degradation so far. I am only driving this car on the street though, I'm not timing racetrack laps or getting my shocks dyno'd.

Reactions: petabb