Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 poll - have you changed battery

Model 3 - Have you changed your 12v battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery tested ok at 12.55V. I followed the method @GlynG outlined and the warning has gone away. There was an initial worry when the screen stayed black for a minute or two after reconnecting the battery but it did eventually show the Tesla logo and come back.
Yes it is a bit scary isnt it, and even though i know it will all reboot I get that feeling every single time. A few days ago I fitted the swivel to the screen, so put the screen in clean mode - then removed and unplugged it, swivel fitted and reconnected- put screen back in place - and got no response from the touch and hold notice on screen to exit screen clean, had to do a re-boot - it took so long to come on I was about to start lifting the rear seat to do a full shutdown - but whilst preparing everything - it booted up.

Try doing it when driving.....at night.....

I did it once on the way home from work because my spotify just would not co-operate under any circumstances. I'd heard about people doing it so thought, why not.

Its kind of eerie driving along the road with no light inside the cabin at all, no speedo, nada. Just the outside lights and the wheels turning.

I fitted a Bosch battery about 2 weeks ago and got a battery failure warning on Friday. Disconnecting the LV (after disconnecting the battery first) and re-connecting it has cleared the faults, but I still can't change the battery type (its set on Atlas, I think the Bosch matches the Clarion profile). Put in a service request, came back with two wiring loom updates needing to be done...

Here's what it looks like in service mode
20240311_080119.jpg

20240311_080135.jpg

Battery warning reappeared this morning. This is bizarre. If there's an issue with the Bosch battery, why doesn't it appear constantly instead of waiting a few weeks between alerts?

I reset mine, charged the battery and put it back - faults came back within hours. I think there is a periodic on-load test of the 12V, which might also depend on the state-of-charge of the battery. Back on the old battery for now (no faults so far). It makes sense that any testing is marginal with a good new battery, they are testing something which is probably not very specified. I think the ATLAS battery has higher CCA, so probably a lower effective internal resistance.
Can't change battery type either.
I suspect this is related to the water ingress issues with the front wiring loom. I will try and get some more info when mine gets replaced in a week's time.

Initially, my service request was met with an invite to book a service at the SS an hour away which would include a new battery to replace my new battery.

I responded suggesting there had been a misunderstanding and that all I wanted was for my new, standard issue (so surely M3-compatible) battery to be recognised by the car. In response, they simply told me they'd "determine whether the battery have installed is suitable" and I don't think they can do that remotely.

This seems insane. As @Jason71 (I believe correctly) said earlier in this thread when he recommended I buy from Euro Car Parts, "there is nothing special about the battery".

Well, they did switch the service app to a mobile one but it was going to potentially cost me £212. I asked them to remove the battery they'd added to the service because I didn't want them to replace it, I simply wanted them to tell me what types of off-the-shelf 12V batteries the car supports. They didn't respond except to cancel the appointment which leaves me back at square one.

This is ridiculous! :mad:

Update, the battery type selection might not be available on UK vehicles (according to mobile tech), so the only option is the Atlas battery (or equivalent with ~600 CCA - mobile tech wasn't very helpful there). Somehow my estimate is now £108, which is not too bad (but I have a spare Bosch battery now). Plus 2 recall updates for front and trunk wiring looms. From other posts, the Bosch battery might be OK, but there is no way to tell if the car will accept it.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Update: The SC would allow me to buy a battery off the shelf for about £75 which is a good deal. It's an hour each way for me to drive so I went back to Euro Car Parts and exchanged the Bosch I'd bought for a Varta which is about £110. No warnings so far. If the Varta doesn't work out, I'll have to go to the SC and swap it out for the Tesla one and then get my money back on the Varta.

What a faff!