Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Potential: Police Cars?

Will Model 3 become police cars?

• Yes by 2020

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • As soon as available

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Maybe some cities

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Probably not, they will only look at up front expense not benefits and future savings

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • No, but they may choose cheaper electric cars with less performance/tech when available

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, our PD has been changing out the older cars for Tahoes and Malibus...even more Tahoes over the Malibus. I guess it's the size and since our east end of the city tends to flood with heavy rains, it's easier for the Tahoes to get through. So...speaking of flooding...South Florida summers.

Last edited:
Yup, I see no reason why they wouldn't be interested, especially if things go well at the LAPD with their Tesla. I came into the thread to post the pic of LAPD's Model S that they brought out for Night on Broadway back in January:

DSC09566.JPG
Yeah. Just got to have hard points in front for a winch and push bar. :D

Sorry, I don't think the Model 3 will work as a police car in the US (at least not in any significant volume other than maybe for PR purposes). It's too small for US police tastes (even the full size vehicles that are replacing the Crown Victoria, police find cramped). It is about as likely as a Cadillac ATS, Lincoln MKC or MKZ as a police car.
I've seen police service vehicles in the US that were Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Dodge Avenger/Charger, Ford Fusion... And YES, these cars are REPLACING the old Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/LTD fleet. The Model ☰ may well be smaller on the outside than some, but will likely be just as large on the inside as current popular choices.

Yes, there are some examples of 3 series being used as police cars in other countries, but part of that is regional supplier relations. I don't think it will be that easy to break into that (nor will Tesla be interested in getting their cars through the certification process and producing a "pursuit" or "interceptor" version). It is much better to focus on the consumer market.
There are also Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, and AUDI police cars in service worldwide. Regionally, the Model ☰ will be an AMERICAN car -- thus it should be eligible for consideration by municipal fleets across the nation, just like those that supposedly hail from Detroit. Most police vehicles are NOT 'interceptors'. Those are almost always limited series vehicles. The 'focus' is on meeting the transportation needs for anyone who might decide to buy the car. This, so that Tesla Motors may accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.

I've seen police service vehicles in the US that were Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Dodge Avenger/Charger, Ford Fusion... And YES, these cars are REPLACING the old Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/LTD fleet. The Model ☰ may well be smaller on the outside than some, but will likely be just as large on the inside as current popular choices.
Just looking at the Camry, the front passenger dimensions (head/shoulder/hip/leg) are practically the same as the Model S. The 3 series however has significantly lower shoulder room (it doesn't list hip room). I find it unlikely the 3 will be just as large inside.

There are also Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, and AUDI police cars in service worldwide. Regionally, the Model ☰ will be an AMERICAN car -- thus it should be eligible for consideration by municipal fleets across the nation, just like those that supposedly hail from Detroit. Most police vehicles are NOT 'interceptors'. Those are almost always limited series vehicles. The 'focus' is on meeting the transportation needs for anyone who might decide to buy the car. This, so that Tesla Motors may accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.
I put the two paragraphs separately for this reason. Tesla might have a regional advantage in the US, but its size is small for this market. In other markets used to smaller cars, Tesla does not have such regional advantage. That was my main point.

Reactions: Lunarx
If Tesla repeats the nonsense with the small 12V battery, the Model 3 would not be used regularly as a police car.

I think they'd opt for cheaper cars and I'd personally be very upset if my town or state bought them.

Just being Devil's advocate here. Why would you be upset if they buy them? Sure they cost more up front but if you think about how much time they sit on the side of the road idling waiting for the next call or for the next Tesla driver going ludicrous speed it probably would pay for itself in gas savings.

Reactions: Model 3
I understand that America's Professional Doughnut Eating Corps tends to feature members who are on the rather rotund side of the scale... The BMW 3-Series is a Compact. Once again, official EPA size designations for new vehicles are based upon interior volume and cargo capacity. Just as the Model S is slightly wider than its contemporaries, so will be the Model ☰. And, due to its fully electric drivetrain, the Model ☰ will likely be classified as Midsize. So, plenty of room for Passengers, whether Police or Perpetrators, and superior capacity for equipment.

Fuel, maintenance, and repair costs for Police vehicles are a major expense for any municipality. Something tells me that an eight year unlimited mileage warranty would cover a lot of concerns about using 'new technology' for a police car. Improved handling, superior acceleration, and immediate overtaking in traffic will make an immediate impression during testing. And the aforementioned utility of a smaller car with more space for equipment should all make for compelling arguments to choose a Tesla Model ☰ as a new fleet of vehicles.

People keep talking about how police cars are always on the move and must always be in service... Mebbe sew... But every time I pass by a police station lot there are as many black & white cars parked as there are on the road. I guarantee that if you add Teslas to the mix, it will be the old Ford Crown Victorias that are left in the lot every shift. Cops like to GRIN too.

Reactions: HookBill
The market cost of any car isn't the total cost of a police car. When reviewing the potential for the local county to join our grant application to allow municipalities to purchase a couple of PEVs, we learned that the Sheriff's office pays about $75,000 in additional costs to customize a car for LEO use: ram bar, shotgun locks, elec power/computer system, plexiglass divider, removing interior rear door handles, among other things. They are already used to paying a lot for the cars, and the car sale price is a lower portion of that.
Now with the price of the M3 far below other Teslas and seeing that some departments (LAPD, a dept. near Seattle, etc) have been making use of S-models, I think we will see more departments pick this up for use.

LEO vehicles spend a lot of time idling, so the Tesla-estimated gasoline $avings is FAR better for LEO vehicles--and fewer emissions!
Another cherry: I bet there are many kinds of grants $$! that would be willing to pay at least partly for a transition to PEVs as a way to be in line with city, county, state comprehensive and long term climate plans, and otherwise to reduce (motor vehicle) emissions.

Reactions: Red Sage
My guess is that in big sprawling metropolitan areas like LA, Atlanta and others, that you will see a lot of confiscated Model 3s being used by the LEO. At only $35k, the Model 3 will be quite affordable for your local thug, gang-banger or petty drug dealer. Just think how big that market will be when they learn that the cars are almost 'stealth like'. Hmmmm.

Reactions: Red Sage
Neither Cops or Bad Guys will be using M3's. Tesla would only devalue their brand image by selling M3's as Fleet vehicles. As GM & Ford how hard it is to shed that image once it's been slapped on you. Also I double Tesla would allow anybody but their own SC's work on these cars for the foreseeable future. Bad Guys no noise, = cops call Tesla and have car remotely shut down and Lock the doors. As all the stupid bad guys who have been busted by Onstar.

I could see community service vehicles being electric now, but those vehicles tend to be vans and something not available yet.

Besides size, police cruisers have high demands for 'heavy duty' parts: cooling, suspension, brakes, etc. I don't see Tesla or aftermarket vendors investing in this because the cost of the car would increase greatly. Police departments have high demands for rotating cars between shifts and such so you would need to invest in a super charger network at the police station to make that a viable option. I think we're at least 10 years from seeing this, but it's sure to come at some point having electric vehicles for the police. It would probably take a couple years just to certify the model 3 for police duty alone if all the basic requirements are met.

Sorry, I don't think the Model 3 will work as a police car in the US (at least not in any significant volume other than maybe for PR purposes). It's too small for US police tastes (even the full size vehicles that are replacing the Crown Victoria, police find cramped). It is about as likely as a Cadillac ATS, Lincoln MKC or MKZ as a police car.

Yes, there are some examples of 3 series being used as police cars in other countries, but part of that is regional supplier relations. I don't think it will be that easy to break into that (nor will Tesla be interested in getting their cars through the certification process and producing a "pursuit" or "interceptor" version). It is much better to focus on the consumer market.

This. The Model 3 would work fine for most police purposes, but the rear seat is already on the small side to get resisting perps into - and that's before they put a barrier in. The Model X would have a lot of potential as a patrol car with some minor modifications - if it weren't for the $80k price tag. Maybe the Model Y (or whatever the CUV variant of the Model 3 ends up being called) will be suitable?

Reactions: Luke42
Neither Cops or Bad Guys will be using M3's. Tesla would only devalue their brand image by selling M3's as Fleet vehicles.
Perhaps you have never seen the movie 'Beverly Hills Cop II' (1987)...? It features the BMW 3-Series as police cars in Beverly Hills. It wasn't 'move fake' either, I worked in Century City, adjacent to Beverly Hills back then and those were their actual, ordinary, everyday cop cars back then. The Model S is already being used as 'fleet vehicles' by a TAXI company that services Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. You may expect to see both Model X and Model ☰ fulfilling similar roles in years to come.

Also I double Tesla would allow anybody but their own SC's work on these cars for the foreseeable future.
The motor pool will still have plenty of work trying to keep their 25-year-old Chevrolet Caprice and Ford Crown Victoria fleet alive. They'll be happy to have Tesla's Rangers come by to handle the Model ☰. That way they can get back to playing spades, solitaire, backgammon, or poker.

Besides size, police cruisers have high demands for 'heavy duty' parts: cooling, suspension, brakes, etc. I don't see Tesla or aftermarket vendors investing in this because the cost of the car would increase greatly.
All Tesla Motors would have to do is consult with aftermarket vendors of light bars, push bars, winches, and whatnot to provide the proper wire harnesses and hard points on the frame to receive those off-the-shelf components. It shouldn't be any harder than on any other car. As for cooling... The car operates at room temperature. Suspension and brakes? I am fairly certain that a Model ☰ will rather easily out-corner and out-brake any LTD, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Diplomat, Gran Fury, or Caprice the police could set against them... Let alone the modern day Fusion, Malibu, and Charger.