Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Price Increase - Mid Oct 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$100 is non refundable order fee now.
Probably will not count against car price as before.

Second that. The $100 fee is now a charge that does not count towards sale price.

Previously the $2500 deposit would cost them $75 (~3% transaction fee), and now they simply charge $100 which translates to $97 net after fees. The difference is $172 to them.

So, technically, besides the sale price increase, Tesla is making $172 more per order alone from the deposit/order fee change.

Q3 delivery number is 97,000 and Q2 is 95,356. Let's be optimistic and say that the number would hit 100,000 in Q4. It translates to $17,200,000.

You already have a deposit down, right? Then there would be nothing you would need to worry about for that. The extra $100 is likely to discourage people from putting in multiple orders, and then canceling the one they dont want. Multiple people have done that in the past especially on used teslas.

I believe you know that your "2500 shows you are serious", you just are unhappy with telsas order process. This is likely going to be a very long, very angry few weeks for you while you wait for your car.

I’m just concerned that Tesla will cancel all orders and ask us to place them again to clean up their balance sheet.

The main source of my annoyance with Tesla is that they act impulsively. These changes are not significant for a company with their revenue and will not change their revenues significantly if at all.

The $100 fee to order is representative of ordering one of those “toy” Teslas, not a real one. It will make it much easier for someone to order a Tesla on a whim, and just forget the $100 when they cancel. $100 is really nothing in this whole transaction. So Tesla moves again to soften their US market. Anyway, when Tesla says for a “whole week” the same thing about delivery, I will just go into wait mode.

BTW: why $100Usd (non-refundable) for US customers, and $3200CAD for Canadians (refundable)? Whatever they are trying to tell those of us in the US makes no sense.

I’m just concerned that Tesla will cancel all orders and ask us to place them again to clean up their balance sheet.

The main source of my annoyance with Tesla is that they act impulsively. These changes are not significant for a company with their revenue and will not change their revenues significantly if at all.

The $100 fee to order is representative of ordering one of those “toy” Teslas, not a real one. It will make it much easier for someone to order a Tesla on a whim, and just forget the $100 when they cancel. $100 is really nothing in this whole transaction. So Tesla moves again to soften their US market. Anyway, when Tesla says for a “whole week” the same thing about delivery, I will just go into wait mode.

BTW: why $100Usd (non-refundable) for US customers, and $3200CAD for Canadians (refundable)? Whatever they are trying to tell those of us in the US makes no sense.

Most of us here dont work for tesla so can only speculate based on what we have read, or seen. What "I" have seen since joining here last december, is that it takes people a LONG time to get that 2500 back if they choose to cancel, and that causes a lot of stress. It also likely causes quite a bit of administrative headache for Tesla. They are a large company, but I dont believe they are a heavily "cash rich" one.

I suspect its much easier for them to take a $100 deposit on a car and just keep it if you cancel, and not worry about refunds, and the process around that, and the constant calls, and threats of lawsuits around "where is my 2500!!!!!".

Would be my guess anyway, with seeing how people who ask for refunds normally comment on the process here.

I ordered a blue MP3 10/13, appears I just snuck in before this increase. And the new wheel color is a huge plus from a look standpoint, in my opinion. Something to stand out from the crowd a bit.

I found out about the change in the app, the appearance of my car has the gray wheels now. That prompted me to go to their website and build my car again, when I noticed the price increase. Then of course I went here to look for more info.

I have no prior experience with Tesla, but I think it is safe to say those of us who have order contracts will not be subject to this increase in price, only wait time...

Most of us here dont work for tesla so can only speculate based on what we have read, or seen. What "I" have seen since joining here last december, is that it takes people a LONG time to get that 2500 back if they choose to cancel, and that causes a lot of stress. It also likely causes quite a bit of administrative headache for Tesla. They are a large company, but I dont believe they are a heavily "cash rich" one.

I suspect its much easier for them to take a $100 deposit on a car and just keep it if you cancel, and not worry about refunds, and the process around that, and the constant calls, and threats of lawsuits around "where is my 2500!!!!!".

Would be my guess anyway, with seeing how people who ask for refunds normally comment on the process here.

I had a 10/1 order that was to be 10/9 delivery. I couldn’t accept delivery the two day window they gave me, and Tesla wouldn’t extend it one minute more. So I had to cancel and re-order.

My original $2500 deposit was credited back to my card account in 3 days.

Tesla is not loaded with cash, but I suspect that accounting rules put deposits in neither income or debits.

Anyway, only a clown would threaten to sue for their deposit, as most CC companies will run a “chargeback” for all unfulfilled charges within 90-120 days. Even a tiny lawsuit against Tesla would cost $30K and the attorney fees would be yours to eat. Those clowns are few and far between.

I guess I’ll agree to disagree. $100 to order invites frivolous orders which Tesla will have to sell to someone else. That process will give them lots of headaches as moving inventory can be a hassle at quarter end. JMO, however.

I had a 10/1 order that was to be 10/9 delivery. I couldn’t accept delivery the two day window they gave me, and Tesla wouldn’t extend it one minute more. So I had to cancel and re-order.

My original $2500 deposit was credited back to my card account in 3 days.

Tesla is not loaded with cash, but I suspect that accounting rules put deposits in neither income or debits.

Anyway, only a clown would threaten to sue for their deposit, as most CC companies will run a “chargeback” for all unfulfilled charges within 90-120 days. Even a tiny lawsuit against Tesla would cost $30K and the attorney fees would be yours to eat. Those clowns are few and far between.

I guess I’ll agree to disagree. $100 to order invites frivolous orders which Tesla will have to sell to someone else. That process will give them lots of headaches as moving inventory can be a hassle at quarter end. JMO, however.

You are the first person I have heard report getting refunded that quickly. Normally people post and it has been 4-6 weeks or longer. Of course, I am also aware of "forum bias" in that people for whom everything works fine tend to not post and say "everything works fine!".

Remember how hard it is to get someone at tesla in person (voice?) . As you mention, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one (and thats fine :) ) . Its easy to have someone place an order, never get contacted, cancel and keep their money. Not so easy when its 2500.

You are the first person I have heard report getting refunded that quickly. Normally people post and it has been 4-6 weeks or longer. Of course, I am also aware of "forum bias" in that people for whom everything works fine tend to not post and say "everything works fine!".

Remember how hard it is to get someone at tesla in person (voice?) . As you mention, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one (and thats fine :) ) . Its easy to have someone place an order, never get contacted, cancel and keep their money. Not so easy when its 2500.

Yes, it came ASAP - 3 days at most. Faster than most other vendors. Since I placed another order at the same time, it just ended up a wash in my account balance. I was expecting it to take weeks for sure.

I think Tesla added the non-refundable language in there to ensure that buyers were serious, and that duplicate orders weren’t being placed to see which car gets delivered first. Whether Tesla really tries to keep the $100 fee probably depends on the circumstances.

Let’s say you place your order and the car is quoted as having a two week delivery time, but Tesla ends up taking 8 weeks before they have a car ready for you. You can’t wait that long so you buy another car. Can Tesla really keep the $100 when they did not meet their delivery commitment?

Or let’s say you go to take delivery of the car and it’s in terrible shape. You reject the car because of it’s condition and Tesla has nothing else to sell you. Can they really keep the $100?

And what if they promise you the car by year end, but they don’t deliver on time and if you take delivery in January you lose the tax credit so you cancel.

There are many scenarios where Tesla would be hard pressed to justify keeping the $100. I think it’s just there to protect themselves from flakey customers.

They obviously made it $100 because $100 is not worth fighting over. $100 is not worth much of anything these days.

I disagree that the $100 will protect anyone against flakey customers. It actually invites them. Yes, you too can order a Tesla (even a Model S for $100,000 - with only a $100 non refundable deposit!

Remember what I say in December, Tesla will have cancellations by the handfuls! Cancellations are stock! Remember, extra cars at the end of a quarter are on the wrong side of a balance sheet for them. If you order a kids birthday cake, you probably put down half that ($50) in advance - and that is because no one wants to buy a cake saying, "Happy Birthday Sammy" - -unless your name happens to be Sammy.

This is what you get when you hire cut rate managers who make ridiculous decisions. Sure, they will get orders left and right, and when it comes to deliver - people will have long forgotten about the $100 and the Tesla. You rent an apartment, you fork over 2 months deposit and a credit check. You buy a Tesla and you given them a $100 bill. If you can't put down a $2500 deposit, then you likely can't afford a Tesla. This won't end well - and I really hope I am wrong about that.

This comes back at us (the serious buyers) in that the experience becomes more circus-like and everyone will say the US market is soft. Tesla will just spend more months out of the year making cars for delivery in Dubai and Mogadishu.

It's been written many times that if Tesla wants to do well, they should take a lesson from Amazon - fast and informed delivery is the key to selling 'over-retail' merchandise!