Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Price Reduction. Feeling robbed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just by luck I've checked my vehicle profile this morning before the news. I've noticed the following changes after the announcement:

Note that I have a LR RWD with EAP

- it no longer mentions anything about premium connectivity.
- the option to purchase FSD is gone
- the date in which supercharging ends disappeared. Now, it just says "free supercharging enabled"

I'm just wondering... Maybe Tesla simply calling the former EAP now FSD? Note that even the price is the same as before which was $6,600.
How did you get free supercharging on a LR RWD w/ EAP?

FYI, I ordered the Model 3 LR AWD January 24 and have not yet received delivery or had a VIN assigned. Tesla Montréal already confirmed that they will reduce the price by 1300$ that was announced early February. Concerning the additional 4300$ discount from yesterday, they say the will add in the autopilot for free. Seems like a fair deal :) I would have preferred the discount as I would probably not have paid for autopilot but I am just going to have to enjoy it :) Just wanted to share this in case other are in my situation. If so, did other had a difference response from Tesla? Thanks!

I want to complain because Tesla LIED and STOLE my money.
They took my EAP off me and increased FSD
UNACCEPTABLE
Oh, hang on. FSD is now 3k for me.
That’s cheaper than before isn’t it?
Err
Maybe I won’t whine about it this time.
Give me time, they’re going to do something else to make me angry - at some point.

PS
Please be aware that if you’ve read my drivel this far that it isn’t in any way shape or form serious. It just seemed fitting.

I want to complain because Tesla LIED and STOLE my money.
They took my EAP off me and increased FSD
UNACCEPTABLE
Oh, hang on. FSD is now 3k for me.
That’s cheaper than before isn’t it?
Err
Maybe I won’t whine about it this time.
Give me time, they’re going to do something else to make me angry - at some point.

PS
Please be aware that if you’ve read my drivel this far that it isn’t in any way shape or form serious. It just seemed fitting.
They say anger and love are two sides of the same coin. I think if you own a Tesla you feel both at different times. I've gone back and forth for maybe minor things in hindsight. Things worked out in the end or I just couldn't help loving the car anyways. So stay "chill" as Elon may say and enjoy the ride everyone

Initial reaction was mixed,happy for new owners & disappointed as I just received my 3 a couple of months ago. Then I went for drive & got my Tesla smile back. Then I remembered I bought the car because it’s awesome/Tesla mission statement. Tesla is doing this for survival & a more stable Tesla benefits all of us. A stranger I let test drive my 3 just put his order in after update & my dad is now seriously thinking of getting a 3 now because of price drop.

Two part Economics 101 question. I am not an Economist, so excuse any improper vernacular.

1). There has been no competition in the market since the inception of the Tesla S- 100% of demand matched with Tesla Supply. The automobile market has to date been unable to effectively respond.

Audi, Jag, VW, MB, et al are all entering the market over the next two years, allegedly at similar or lower prices with similar functionality.

Tesla wants to compete effectively with new entrants.

Should Tesla increase prices, keep prices the same, or lower prices?

2) The motors on the Model S have gone from RWD 40 to the current dual 100. In that time the battery packs have improved, the production line has become more efficient by limiting optionality, while go to market strategy has expanded to multiple vehicle models increasing the potential customer base by a multiple.

Should Tesla take all of that efficiency and productivity enhancement to profit, or consider reducing costs due to market conditions?

Here’s a hint for both. I bought a Yamaha single CD player in 1982 for like $1500 as an early adopter. . .it sounded really cool. However, before they essentially disappeared, a CD player with 100x the sampling rate was less than 100 bucks. (I will leave out that I’m back to my B&O turntable with all the pops and crackles).

Agreed. Tesla's product can be viewed more like electronics rather than automobiles. My model 3 is essentially a smartphone on wheels. All electronics consumers know that products reduce in price over time as technology improves.
I think you could view them as vehicles too. There are high demand vehicles that when first released command wait times and prices above msrp. When that wears off, the price drops. The people that said ‘I’m not paying that’ waited and got the better deal. All of a sudden this is a thing??? What are these people? New???

I think you could view them as vehicles too. There are high demand vehicles that when first released command wait times and prices above msrp. When that wears off, the price drops. The people that said ‘I’m not paying that’ waited and got the better deal. All of a sudden this is a thing??? What are these people? New???

If viewed as vehicles, I’m not aware of any car that has the identical model and make with no new features suddenly get it’s priced slashed overnight by 8%. This is separate from depreciation which everybody understand and accepts.

If viewed as an electronic, normally the newer version with more features comes out after one year, causing the value of the older generation to fall in price. I don’t think the identical generation of an electronic device gets slashed overnight by 8%.

... hence the outrage. That’s why I think many of the analogies people are putting out there do not hold up well.

Just my thoughts.

If viewed as vehicles, I’m not aware of any car that has the identical model and make with no new features suddenly get it’s priced slashed overnight by 8%. This is separate from depreciation which everybody understand and accepts.

If viewed as an electronic, normally the newer version with more features comes out after one year, causing the value of the older generation to fall in price. I don’t think the identical generation of an electronic device gets slashed overnight by 8%.

... hence the outrage. That’s why I think many of the analogies people are putting out there do not hold up well.

Just my thoughts.

Although many manufactures introduce incentives or employee pricing. Even 0% financing changes the price.

The game I bought for full price was $80, but this year they dropped it down to $30. I lost $50! I should contact the company to get a refund this is ridiculous they should be rewarding the people that bought it day one, doesn't matter if I got to use the game this entire time. What a piece of *sugar* company!
/s

But the price did not drop after one year. And most retailers have buyer protection so that you can get the difference back f it suddenly goes on sale next month.

Cars are different because besides a persons home, their car is probably their next largest purchase. I work in retail, and if you don’t think people ask for the difference back when something I sold them goes on sale the next day, think again. If Honda or BMW slashed the price of the identical car overnight by 8%, I’m sure there would be the same complaints.

I’m just debating the merits of the argument. Let’s keep it calm.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
But the price did not drop after one year. And most retailers have buyer protection so that you can get the difference back f it suddenly goes on sale next month.

Cars are different because besides a persons home, their car is probably their next largest purchase.

I’m just debating the merits of the argument.
It's a ****ing depreciating asset. You lose value on it every time you get into it, and every day that passes. It doesn't matter if it's the largest purchase or the smallest for a person, you can't buy it for X price and use it for however long you want and then demand you get it for Y price that it is now. I never seen this type of crap until now. Every manufacturer discounts their items eventually, whether it's to meet the end of month quota, yearly sale, or to get rid of last years vehicles. You don't hear people that paid more for it demanding the difference back.

It's a ****ing depreciating asset. You lose value on it every time you get into it, and every day that passes. It doesn't matter if it's the largest purchase or the smallest for a person, you can't buy it for X price and use it for however long you want and then demand you get it for Y price that it is now. I never seen this type of crap until now. Every manufacturer discounts their items eventually, whether it's to meet the end of month quota, yearly sale, or to get rid of last years vehicles. You don't hear people that paid more for it demanding the difference back.

Whoa. Take it easy. Let’s end the discussion here.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT and 03DSG
I got my first Model S90D in August 2015 right after a 10% increase in price and I knew I could have gotten an inventory car without the price increase but didn't need the P85D version. I signed the contract and agreed on the price.

In March of 2017, my wife got one of the first X100D and I knew we were paying a premium on the SUV. Total cost with all options before taxes was $166K. Today, a X P100D with same config is $140K.

Finally, in Sept 2018 I traded in my S90D for a P3D+ and again paid $103K for a vehicle that cost $85K today. Do I feel cheated or jaded? A little, but I agreed on the price at that time and that’s what I paid for.

After being a Tesla owner for 3.5 years, I don’t regret owning these Teslas even with the 3’s quality control issues that I had part of my 3 repainted and other issues fixed in a timely manner (one month after delivery they had my 3 for a week to fix the paint issues).

I have friends who keep saying they will wait for this or wait for that to come out or they are waiting for the US federal incentive to decrease again so that Tesla can do another price adjustment is ridiculous. If you can afford to get a 3 now I advise you to just get it and enjoy it...otherwise just get a Bolt, Kona, Leaf or another electric car that doesn’t adjust there prices like a yoyo and is in your budget.

I got my first Model S90D in August 2015 right after a 10% increase in price and I knew I could have gotten an inventory car without the price increase but didn't need the P85D version. I signed the contract and agreed on the price.

In March of 2017, my wife got one of the first X100D and I knew we were paying a premium on the SUV. Total cost with all options before taxes was $166K. Today, a X P100D with same config is $140K.

Finally, in Sept 2018 I traded in my S90D for a P3D+ and again paid $103K for a vehicle that cost $85K today. Do I feel cheated or jaded? A little, but I agreed on the price at that time and that’s what I paid for.

After being a Tesla owner for 3.5 years, I don’t regret owning these Teslas even with the 3’s quality control issues that I had part of my 3 repainted and other issues fixed in a timely manner (one month after delivery they had my 3 for a week to fix the paint issues).

I have friends who keep saying they will wait for this or wait for that to come out or they are waiting for the US federal incentive to decrease again so that Tesla can do another price adjustment is ridiculous. If you can afford to get a 3 now I advise you to just get it and enjoy it...otherwise just get a Bolt, Kona, Leaf or another electric car that doesn’t adjust there prices like a yoyo and is in your budget.

I’ve been waiting all my life. Used cars growing up. Expensive work training. Even more expensive kids followed by post secondary costs. Throw in a mid-life marriage explosion to boot. Challenging career and heart health issues. Retired at 60, now 65.

I don’t wait anymore now. For much of anything. Ever. THIS, NOW is why I worked for 40 years. The list of fallen family, friends and coworkers keeps getting longer, faster. Lost a really good guy last week in Phoenix, recently retired at 66, from a pulmonary embolism. I put my $1000 down 1 minute before the live reveal in ‘16 KNOWING I would take delivery at whatever the cost would be.

You get to a point in life when waiting, as an option, can have severely diminishing returns.

Last edited:

Same boat as you. Bought a 2016 X90D for a lot more than a X100D now. Similary a P100D in December 2018 which just dropped a lot. Sure would be nice to pay less but at that time it was fair and I agreed. I look on the bright side that when I go replace my cars next time those should be cheaper.