Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Price Reduction. Feeling robbed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree one can wait forever.

I initially place the order hoping I might get the rebate. Only order LR even though I know AWD may be better, again that was a $14K decision. When that was not the case initially, I cancelled the order knowing things could change in the future, and I can wait.

When the news that we can re-order and get the rebate, I jump back in knowing there will never be another $14000 rebate. However, I didn't order Autopilot, let alone FSD.

I'm sure Tesla can and will do something for the existing buyers.

I thought Tesla was fair minded. There is an element of trust that when doing a deal that if a price reduction is just around the corner that Tesla would honour it for those buyers. Folks who are in this predicament are right to feel robbed. Bad move by Tesla to not honour the new pricing for recent purchasers because it will now create animosity among its cast of proud Tesla owners. A way to soften the blow maybe to offer Full self driving at no charge. This is good business from a PR standpoint and keeping your buyers on side. This can’t be ignored without repercussions I’m afraid. They need to make a move. Did anyone have any success negotiating a discount. No, right. So yeah it’s valid to feel ripped off.

I thought Tesla was fair minded. There is an element of trust that when doing a deal that if a price reduction is just around the corner that Tesla would honour it for those buyers. Folks who are in this predicament are right to feel robbed. Bad move by Tesla to not honour the new pricing for recent purchasers because it will now create animosity among its cast of proud Tesla owners. A way to soften the blow maybe to offer Full self driving at no charge. This is good business from a PR standpoint and keeping your buyers on side. This can’t be ignored without repercussions I’m afraid. They need to make a move. Did anyone have any success negotiating a discount. No, right. So yeah it’s valid to feel ripped off.

Where's the line in the sand? People who taken delivery a week before the announcement? Two, 4, 6, 8 weeks? When it comes to money, people will make a stink no matter how long especially if it's a substantial sum. But, their view of the vehicle is flawed thinking it's somehow an investment. It's not, it's a luxury tool - tools depreciate and they agreed to that depreciation when they signed.

All of Tesla's marketing and documents clearly state prices will change at anytime. PR wise, yes I agree they should hold an olive branch to the people who lost 50K USD overnight. After all, those are the people with deep pockets to buy the next Roadster.

Where's the line in the sand? People who taken delivery a week before the announcement? Two, 4, 6, 8 weeks? When it comes to money, people will make a stink no matter how long especially if it's a substantial sum. But, their view of the vehicle is flawed thinking it's somehow an investment. It's not, it's a luxury tool - tools depreciate and they agreed to that depreciation when they signed.

All of Tesla's marketing and documents clearly state prices will change at anytime. PR wise, yes I agree they should hold an olive branch to the people who lost 50K USD overnight. After all, those are the people with deep pockets to buy the next Roadster.

Nobody here is saying their cars shouldn’t depreciate. It is the unnecessary and sudden accelerated depreciation, coupled with the fact that Tesla always promotes the fact that they don’t give discounts and everybody pays the same price, enticing buyers to pay now. Instead, the identical car with identical features has been sold to people at different prices, instead of allowing natural obsolescence to occur through the introduction of next generation products.

Reactions: pmifsud
I bought my Model 3 LR RWD (with EAP) in December '18, so I've had it for just over 3 months. I paid roughly $7,200 more than if I bought the same car today. In fact, I could buy a LR AWD for around the same price as I paid for my LD RWD 3 months ago. But, it is what it is. At the time I bought the car I was OK with the price, and nothing has changed with the car itself. I still love the car, I still love driving the car, and I don't regret buying the car. I can choose to be pissed off that the price of my car dropped 10%, or I can just enjoy the car I bought and not get worked up about the fact that someone who buys the car today might pay less than I did.

Am I "happy" that the price dropped? No, not really. Could I use that $7200 for something else? Definitely. Am I "mad" that the price dropped? No, because prices change all the time, but most of the time we don't know about it.

I understand why some people are upset, but to be honest, when was the last time you bought a car and then paid attention to price changes from the manufacturer afterwards? If you buy a 2019 Volvo today, and then two weeks from now Volvo has a red tag sale where the price of your car drops by $5,000 due to dealer and factory incentives, would you even know? If you went to the Volvo dealership and complained, what do you realistically think they would say or do? Odds are, you wouldn't get your money back... The reason we even know about the price drops is because we are Tesla enthusiasts and we pay attention to Tesla news, but that doesn't mean that we should expect refunds or compensation because the prices were lowered, even if they were lowered by a noticeable amount.

The price drop is what it is. The argument about Tesla saying that everyone pays the same price for the same car without discounts doesn't mean that Tesla will always sell the same car for the same price forever. If you buy a Model 3 today, you will pay the same price as every other person who buys the same car today, and tomorrow, and next week, and probably next month. In 6 months, probably not. In 1 year, doubtful. The prices will always drop over time, even if the car itself has not changed substantially, because that isn't the model that Tesla follows. They don't do "model years", they just build cars and then update them over the air. Someone who bought a Model 3 a year ago likely paid more than someone who bought 6 months ago, and that person likely paid more than someone who bought 3 months ago, but we all have the same car with the same features, even if the cars didn't all have the same features at the time we bought them.

There are valid arguments both sides, concerning whether it is fair or not that Tesla played with the price. However there is one thing I don't agree with. How can one compare the purchase of an Iphone (about 1000k) with a 70k car ?

It is the unnecessary and sudden accelerated depreciation,

How do you figure it was an "unnecessary" change in price? This is all about survival and competition in the free capitalist market that you presumably bought into. I don't think Tesla made this decision lightly. It's not great for those who bought at the higher price, but at least they are driving the cars while we have to wait for the RHD variant. The longer you wait, the cheaper EVs will get over the next few years.

Did you buy a plasma TV in 2010? You must really be upset now.

Plasma TVs don't have any practical resale value, and resale value is generally not taken into account when potential buyers calculate the overall cost of ownership. Cars, on the other hand, are regularly sold used for a material dollar amount, thereby significantly reducing the overall cost of ownership over a set number of years.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
The only issue I've had with the price changes relates to one group of pre-March buyers getting 50% off AP & FSD, so that it equates to the price of EAP and the EAP pre-March buyers having to pay more for FSD. I completely agree that Tesla was smart to drop the price of the software to throw a bone to earlier buyers, but they should've either given the groups the same deal or hell, give the EAP buyers a better deal since they helped fund Tesla.
Congrats to everyone who held off on purchasing EAP - love autosteer and TACC. Lesson learned on giving money early to Tesla with the expectation of increased prices!

Reactions: pmifsud
The only issue I've had with the price changes relates to one group of pre-March buyers getting 50% off AP & FSD, so that it equates to the price of EAP and the EAP pre-March buyers having to pay more for FSD. I completely agree that Tesla was smart to drop the price of the software to throw a bone to earlier buyers, but they should've either given the groups the same deal or hell, give the EAP buyers a better deal since they helped fund Tesla.
Congrats to everyone who held off on purchasing EAP - love autosteer and TACC. Lesson learned on giving money early to Tesla with the expectation of increased prices!
Agreed. I'm on the same boat so I will not give them $2,600 now to upgrade to FSD. Who knows, they might throw it in for free later...

Agreed. I'm on the same boat so I will not give them $2,600 now to upgrade to FSD. Who knows, they might throw it in for free later...
Well, price for FSD is going back up from USD 2000 / CAD 2600 next Monday based on a tweet from Elon, so limited time offer... for now.

AP / FSD for both existing and new customers will go back to being the same prices, so no more special treatment. For those who haven't pulled the trigger but still want to upgrade, you basically have until Sunday the 17th (or until Tesla plays with prices again lol).

I look at it this way: I was gonna buy the AP3 hardware anyway, might as well snag FSD and get both. *shrug*
This was my thinking as well, will wait until the Model Y reveal and then probably get it on Saturday....