Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 production drive train - Unveil impressions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the "feel" of the drivetrain in the Model 3 from the Unveil. At the time, I didn't worry about it much it because we didn't really know was in play with the demo cars at the event.

Now that Elon has explicitly stated (CC 5/4/2016) that production drivetrain was present in the demo cars at the Model 3 Unveil...

Can anyone who attended the Unveil event (especially those that have driven or ridden in Roadster, Model S and/or Model X) provide us some impressions of what they remember?

Thanks.

Reactions: PaulJB
Sure, quite simply the drivetrain felt just like the S/X. Butter smooth, little whine, not more than a D, acceleration on my ride was sufficient to a P85D non-ludicrous. Regen was fully working as well as it felt like the full 60Wh decel.

I can't think of anymore detail about the drivetrain that would be of interest, but ask away if there are more questions.

I will say this. When Elon commented on the drivetrain it got me thinking of this question: What are the major differences from S to 3?

One word: Drivetrain

Nearly all other components are either exact or similar. Body panels are different yes. Rear trunk assembly yes. Harnesses yes (and granted those are long lead time). Front dash (maybe, lets see at the 2nd reveal).

Are these really that time critical compared to the drivetrain? Not really.

Ok, maybe tuning the drive dynamics, tuning NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) and overall fit and finish, but not really a huge concern for critical path and PPAP deadlines.

It is quite fascinating if Tesla can pull this off and ship essentially a baby S with a new drivetrain and kick the $hit out of the bears. Popcorn ready!

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and jkk_
I wonder if this is simply the case of those models being software limited because they didn't want to push the car to the limit during the first demo.

I think that's a possibility. Also that it might not have been the largest battery or had the ludicrous upgrades.

To the OP, our friend Zach interviewed the EVANNEX guys about their test drive impressions and they made some comments about the performance, ranking it similar to the Model S:

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Musk did tweet that while the unveil Model 3s were AWD, the production AWD versions would be "a lot faster." So something will change, even if the hardware is essentially the same.
My recollection of his comment on that subject was that the Model 3 Performance version would be faster than the Model 3 Dual Motor prototype cars shown at the event. And just recently he tweeted that there would be a Ludicrous option for the 3.

The "test track" was very smooth, so it's hard to say if the shorter wheelbase would ride much different than an S on a more typical road service. The car did definitely have a shorter turning radius -- something the driver pointed out right away. Acceleration was always from a rolling start, and I didn't really get that immediate punch you feel when you put your foot into it from a stop in an S. Still, response was immediate and got us up to about 60 in short order. I wasn't expecting that kind of acceleration run that night, so it did surprise me a bit.

Overall, I'd agree that the 3 felt very similar in NVH to the S. Didn't feel as quick as my 85D, but it's hard to quantify the difference as a passenger and not the person who had their foot on the go pedal. Certainly felt quicker than most anything comparable I've ridden or driven in the ICE world, and that's probably the part that's going to matter the most.

• Informative
Reactions: jkk_