Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear door physically stuck after getting slammed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A passenger slammed my rear door. 2020 model 3. Both interior and exterior handles function normally. For unlatches and window dips. Door can be forced open 2 - 3 inches, feels like I am fighting a plastic panel, but I can not identify what is catching.

Any thoughts?

I did try rolling the window down completely, no change. Door appears to be in the correct position, inside and out.

Thanks!

A passenger slammed my rear door. 2020 model 3. Both interior and exterior handles function normally. For unlatches and window dips. Door can be forced open 2 - 3 inches, feels like I am fighting a plastic panel, but I can not identify what is catching.

Any thoughts?

I did try rolling the window down completely, no change. Door appears to be in the correct position, inside and out.

Thanks!
Most likely it is the same thing that happened to a bunch of us here. Basically a door seal became loose and it's catching on the door panel (or vise versa).
Left Rear Door will not open

You will need to contact Tesla service. I didn't get the details on how exactly they fixed it, but with someone with experience with the issue, they were able to get the door back open and the seal put back into position. It should be covered under warranty because the door shouldn't catch in this way even if you close the door a bit hard.

Note if you unlatched the door, you may get an error message that door is open. You have to push it back in to fully latch it (otherwise it may become loose while you are driving and throw an error message).

Upvote 0
Hey, I appreciate your response! I ended up spending 2 hours on YouTube and playing with it and there are two torques screws that are easily accessible to remove the interior panel. It was difficult to reach the second one with a door closed but was possible. After removing the interior piece the door opened normally I reattached it and everything seems fine now. I will plug the YouTube guys that had my solution with this link:

Upvote 0
Hey, I appreciate your response! I ended up spending 2 hours on YouTube and playing with it and there are two torques screws that are easily accessible to remove the interior panel. It was difficult to reach the second one with a door closed but was possible. After removing the interior piece the door opened normally I reattached it and everything seems fine now. I will plug the YouTube guys that had my solution with this link:

Thanks for the reference, I'll also quote this in the original thread so people can reference too. I did contemplate taking off the door panel myself, but it seemed difficult to do with the door closed (wasn't sure if screws were reachable with door closed), so I let the SC handle it. Glad to have a reference to how to do it and it doesn't seem as difficult as I thought it would be.

Upvote 0
I would like to report that I completed this fix successfully on our 2019 Model 3 rear passenger side door.

My 13 year old daughter, who is sometimes known as "Stompy" for her attitude when things don't go her way caused this problem with our car. She angrily slammed the door super hard and it became stuck as similar issues described above.

Using the video as a guide, I was able to remove the two torx 30 screws, even with the door closed, though the lower one took a little extra time to get the screwdriver where it needed to be. Once the screws were out, it was easier than I expected to pull the internal door panel up and away from the door. The door then opened.

Next, I reattached the door panel and lined up the pins that attach the panel to the frame. I had one redo as you have to slide 3 pieces of plastic that slip into a groove on the top of the door separate from the window.

It works great now.

Upvote 0