Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear seat area creaking/rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 5000 miles on my M3 SR+. There is a horrible creaking rattle coming from the rear seat area directly behind the driver seat. It’s not the rear seat latches, tensioners, seatbelts, roof, or doors as far as I can tell. It is hard to pinpoint where it comes from and Tesla service was unable to fix it as it ONLY appears while driving and is impossible to replicate when parked. Certain road surfaces or pitch/angle of the car makes the noise exponentially worse than in other conditions. It is horrendous and I cannot for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. I have recorded the noise and will try and post here. Anybody else have this issue!?

actually it looks like this forum does not allow audio files so...I have included a YouTube link for those who care to listen:

Have someone sit back there while you drive and let them press up on different areas

Ok I heard the audio clip, it reminds me of a cable/wire end that wasn’t used but it became detached from its small clip holder and was bouncing and hitting inside the door area. Someone wrote about it or I saw it in a YouTube video, but it definitely sounds like a loose wire end vibrating and hitting.

here’s a link to the same issues, these guys are taking about a door panel, but I think it’s a loose wire connector hitting.

Door Panel Rattle Solutions?

Fred

Last edited:
I believe I have the same thing. I’ve taken it in 3 times for rattles and for the most part, some still exist. Try unlatching both rear seats and place a microfiber cloth, folded about 4 times between the seat and rear divider and put the seats back up. This will create some tension on the latch and remove any play that is there.
It’s helped me. Hope it helps you as well.
John.

I actually discovered that there are some Adjustment screws that protrude from the car body just below the opening mechanisms for the rear trunk. They had paint rubbed off the top of them from the opener arms rubbing against them. I placed some electrical tape on the top of the screws as recommended in some other threads and this seems to have addressed the issue I was having. That being said, the car seems to make a new noise from a new location every day I drive the car. As much as I love my model 3, it is maddening that the build quality from a noise standpoint is so sub-par. I hope that as they continue to manufacture vehicles, they figure out how to build a tighter car!

Attachments

• Tesla 4.jpg
    Tesla 4.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Tesla 3.jpg
    Tesla 3.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 509
  • Informative
Reactions: Anto
Has this been resolved for you? I have the EXACT same thing and it’s infuriating. Just paid for an hour of techs time with no luck
Has this been resolved for you? I have the EXACT same thing and it’s infuriating. Just paid for an hour of techs time with no luck
Nevermind. Obviously I wasn’t paying attention to the response from you on the thread lol