Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reservation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you are trying to do is akin to line cutting. I'm sure when you are standing in line at the grocery store that you are completely amenable to somebody cutting in front of you.
I have the capability to get in line early due to my friend. Tesla allows this if he orders it. I am in no way "unfairly" cutting in front like a grocery store. I have the ability to do such within the rules Tesla has provided.

Yes, I can understand that. I have the possibility to get the car early as I have a friend who owns a Tesla, so I'm going to try and use that. But I do understand your point

Everyone has a friend with a Tesla and could cut. Your best bet is to donate $250 to http://climate-xchange.org/tesla-raffle/ in hopes of winning a low number reservation or even a Model S/X.

I believe they are planning on having 5 or 6 low reservation numbers and the $1k paid. Tesla has signed off on this.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-perfect-tesla-raffle.54561/

I have the capability to get in line early due to my friend. Tesla allows this if he orders it. I am in no way "unfairly" cutting in front like a grocery store. I have the ability to do such within the rules Tesla has provided.

I am sorry but the "rules Tesla has provided" is meant to recognize and reward current Tesla owners because they helped pay for the cost of R&D required to make Model 3 possible. Even that, I believe there would be a small-print somewhere preventing those who buy Model S/X now with the hope of jumping a few places front in the queue.

Just imagine, there are many such "friends" here in the forum with Model Ss and Model Xs, what if someone comes up with a scheme to "sponsor" a friend's model 3 in return for a small fee, what will happen to all the decent people who stood in line, some for hours overnight, to make sure they get priority for their Model 3 ?

Just can't imagine this day and age people have to be specifically taught what is morally right and what is not.

You are at the end of the queue in the grocery store, and you see a friend in front of the line and you cut in to give your friend the products so that he pays for you. You are still cutting other people.

But forgetting cutting in the line for a moment, I don't think he can buy it for you. It will be registered in his email/Tesla account, so you have to have access to his account to unlock your car at distance for example, and both you and him would have access to both yours and his cars. The way to solve this he would have to sell the car to you and that would bring the costs already mentioned here.

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
Ugh.

If your friend takes delivery of the car while a tax credit is in play, he won't be able to [legally] claim the credit; nor will you, as a second owner. However, the car likely still counts as "eligible" for the credit. Therefore, someone down the line who otherwise would have gotten the credit will not (or will get the next lower amount). While, that doesn't make it "against the rules," it does lend a certain air of douche-baggery to the whole deal.

I'm not at all surprised that someone is thinking of doing this. I am a bit surprised that you're trying to defend it as totally above board, though. Then again, maybe it's just a sign of the times. (Donald, is that you?)

I think you might have received too many "participation" trophies as a child. There are people on this board who drove long distances and waited in line in the rain for hours to get a chance to order early, and you don't see how you might be rubbing them the wrong way by your desired action to jump the queue because you have a friend? Also, the fact that you can't get the tax credit and have to pay tax twice has not dissuaded you?

Reactions: melindav and tga