Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be an idiot, but I tried to follow the instructions in the roof rack installation and cracked both segments of the glass roof. The instructions that came with the racks did not explain the alignment markers in the glass, nor did they mention the metal brackets underneath the glass. I measured the 12 cm and the 42 cm distances to the edge of the glass and inserted the J hooks. One side went well (I was lucky) and when I moved to the other side, I was able to slide them both in and a few seconds later the glass cracked. Has anyone else had this happen?

I went to a Tesla service center and they showed me how to install them-pretty simple and I installed the rack. You can't see the brackets, but when the go in properly, you can do the J hook wiggle test and feel the brackets. Nothing about this in the instructions.

Love the rack, but I have a cracked roof. No leaks, so the damage is cosmetic and no one seems to notice but me. It is an expensive repair to replace the glass-about $1,800.

Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled my instructions that came in the roof rack box and they are significantly different from the one on the web page and specifically in the areas that I mentioned. So someone along the way discovered the problem and corrected it. This is helpful and I will revisit who pays for this problem with Tesla-now armed with revised instructions.