Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume your working from home like myself so less viable to have a £48,000 car sitting on the driveway. I get these conversation from my wife constantly. Is the installation costly as they say can take years to return the outlay. Government contributing with one of their grants or schemes to go green? Now worth looking into with our energy monthly about to cost the same as the Tesla.
Yeah we mostly work from home but while the car provides utility we don’t see it purely as a tool, sometimes it’s nice to have nice things if we wanted utility there a much better options.

The model 3 RWD is actually much cheaper for us as we had an etron 55 sportback before, so much cheaper overall and almost double the efficiency per kWh. We do about 15,000 mile a year despite only driving to the office 1-2 per week.

I really wanted the polestar 2 purely based on the aesthetics but unfortunately the center console leaves very little room for my knee and legs.

For solar quoted just under £10000 for the complete install, not sure on grants etc. South facing roof, no shading, hoping for 4000kwh a year generated and just try to use as much as we can throw the extra either at the car or the house battery or the immersion heater and charge the house battery on the overnight tariff.

Last edited:
Yeah we mostly work from home but while the car provides utility we don’t see it purely as a tool, sometimes it’s nice to have nice things if we wanted utility there a much better options.

The model 3 RWD is actually much cheaper for us as we had an etron 55 sportback before, so much cheaper overall and almost double the efficiency per kWh.

I really wanted the polestar 2 purely based on the aesthetics but unfortunately the center console leaves very little room for my knee and legs.

Quoted just under £10000 for the complete install, not sure on grants etc.
Thanks for the info. Yes this is the problem a large upfront cost and now is the time to consider seriously how we obtain our energy. All the best with the car and solar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danzr
The only other extra direct from Tesla I'm considering is the pet liner because it looks to have the best door protection, that's quite a bit more expensive than alternatives though

I do see what you mean though about Tessories, I haven’t come across them before today … 🤔

0F537CD7-301C-4044-950F-FA93167EDB6E.png

• Love
Reactions: Danzr
Just to add to the debate of if going through with the Tesla order is ideal with the energy increase. I’ll bore you all with my reason for ordering one in the first place.

I started looking at ordering a Tesla in 2020… the girlfriend insisted no… £390 a month is too much for a car… so instead I gave in and went with the Range Rover evoque she always wanted for £270 a month…

Initially thinking this was a good option as were saving £120 a month instantly, we soon realised there is a £15 tax added on, the fuel was no less that £150 a month (and this was before the fuel price increases)

Taking us to a grand total of £435 a month, and this is before considering an annual MOT + repairs, annual servicing, range rovers extended warranty for a used car came in at an optional £65 per month.

Having considered all this, my monthly grand total to drive a 3 year old Range Rover evoque came to near £500 a month.

Which after a long discussion with the girlfriend. We ended up selling the Range Rover and ordering the Tesla as the total outlay came to a lot less for a brand new EV… the maths definitely adds up and even if EVs came to the same running costs to charge than fuel. I would still be happy with my decision.

This decision also seemed wise as I drive a works vehicle to commute. My girlfriend works from home. We are able to share a car and not have to be thinking about having 1 each. The stars have aligned. I’ll never cancel this RWD

Just to add to the debate of if going through with the Tesla order is ideal with the energy increase. I’ll bore you all with my reason for ordering one in the first place.

I started looking at ordering a Tesla in 2020… the girlfriend insisted no… £390 a month is too much for a car… so instead I gave in and went with the Range Rover evoque she always wanted for £270 a month…

Initially thinking this was a good option as were saving £120 a month instantly, we soon realised there is a £15 tax added on, the fuel was no less that £150 a month (and this was before the fuel price increases)

Taking us to a grand total of £435 a month, and this is before considering an annual MOT + repairs, annual servicing, range rovers extended warranty for a used car came in at an optional £65 per month.

Having considered all this, my monthly grand total to drive a 3 year old Range Rover evoque came to near £500 a month.

Which after a long discussion with the girlfriend. We ended up selling the Range Rover and ordering the Tesla as the total outlay came to a lot less for a brand new EV… the maths definitely adds up and even if EVs came to the same running costs to charge than fuel. I would still be happy with my decision.

This decision also seemed wise as I drive a works vehicle to commute. My girlfriend works from home. We are able to share a car and not have to be thinking about having 1 each. The stars have aligned. I’ll never cancel this RWD
I’m with you Lewis. I watched a video this morning of the MG4, looks like an excellent car at a great price. But its not a Tesla. The M3 is such a great car, and looks exactly like an EV should. This will probably be our only opportunity to get into Tesla world and I don’t intend missing out. Bring on November!

Reactions: Danzr and dajw2793
I’m with you Lewis. I watched a video this morning of the MG4, looks like an excellent car at a great price. But its not a Tesla. The M3 is such a great car, and looks exactly like an EV should. This will probably be our only opportunity to get into Tesla world and I don’t intend missing out. Bring on November!
Yep. Had I have waited a few months I’d have been looking at 5.9% APR and and £5500 price increase. It wouldn’t have made sense at that price for me

Reactions: LoneRanger
Yep. Had I have waited a few months I’d have been looking at 5.9% APR and and £5500 price increase. It wouldn’t have made sense at that price for me
This is another point, we could probably sell our orders in the first 6 months for as much as we paid for them if not more.

I have no intention to sell it but it feels like a better decision to continue with the order regardless

This is another point, we could probably sell our orders in the first 6 months for as much as we paid for them if not more.

I have no intention to sell it but it feels like a better decision to continue with the order regardless
100% … I’m currently staying in London for a few days . I’ve just paid £48 congestion charge. Could have avoided this if my car had arrived earlier 🤣

Anyone here order end of April / early May had any good news yet? I'm getting impatient. When I ordered the estimated delivery on the website said August if I added a paint colour option. Really want some good news. Really frustrating that as it's a leased company car I cannot see anything in the app.

Anyone here order end of April / early May had any good news yet? I'm getting impatient. When I ordered the estimated delivery on the website said August if I added a paint colour option. Really want some good news. Really frustrating that as it's a leased company car I cannot see anything in the app.

There’s a lot of people here that have ordered Jan/Feb and are expecting to wait a minimum of 11 months… if not longer

I guess what I’m saying is strap in for the rollercoaster of emotions… think of not being able to see EDD as a positive. You’ll save yourself many hours of refreshing the app and likely heartbreak when the EDD changes for the 3847474th time.

There’s a lot of people here that have ordered Jan/Feb and are expecting to wait a minimum of 11 months… if not longer

I guess what I’m saying is strap in for the rollercoaster of emotions… think of not being able to see EDD as a positive. You’ll save yourself many hours of refreshing the app and likely heartbreak when the EDD changes for the 3847474th time.
Hi cheers for that. Better reel in my expectations then 😀. Fingers crossed for Easter, or a ton of people cancelling due to hugely increased electricity costs!

Yes very good comment. Find someone with EDD in their signature that matches your spec and has an earlier order date and you can track it that way, until @Ashdeman gets a VIN there’s no point me fretting.

I am halfway through burying my 45 meter garage cable, and now taking a break to scythe the flower meadow. It all passes the time. Admittedly I am in the fortunate position that my current car lease will auto extend to fill the gap till the Tesla arrives. I feel the pain of those having to manage their car change with uncertain dates.

Last edited:

Its possibly our homes running cost may be the same as the monthly cost of the Tesla so unless we have a new fixed EV tariff that we managed to obtain through a back door to get us past the energy crisis our original justification for ordering the car is possibly long gone.

Its possibly our homes running cost may be the same as the monthly cost of the Tesla so unless we have a new fixed EV tariff that we managed to obtain through a back door to get us past the energy crisis our original justification for ordering the car is possibly long gone.
I suppose everyone’s circumstance is different. For me the justification of the Tesla payment isn’t bad at all considering what I was paying for a used Range Rover. I also am planning a few trips into London a year which will be a good saving

Reactions: dajw2793
Cant wait to get my VIN and then I'm going to remind those Model Y orders on every post what its like to wait 9 months for a car. lol.
I suppose everyone’s circumstance is different. For me the justification of the Tesla payment isn’t bad at all considering what I was paying for a used Range Rover. I also am planning a few trips into London a year which will be a good saving
Yes agree every situation is different and expect I will still continue with the car as we cant drive a Tesla for £390 anymore and hopefully the car doesn't end up sitting on the driveway more than its driven.