Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we are nearing the end of our lease we thought we will do a test drive of Y and see whether it suits us.

I wanted a RWD though limited by range - we are used to the SR+ Model 3. We didn’t think the LR will add much to our needs. But we may choose a LR at the end. Fingers crossed.

I was worried about the ride and comfort having read previous reviews. But pleasantly surprised by the ride quality and the suppleness to the ride. It wasn’t jiggly at all. And when you are at the back there is so much space to stretch your legs and feel comfy.

Bit dark inside but I don’t mind that.

The other thing I noticed was felt like driving a hatchback rather than a cross over.

Also noticed the regen was much stronger (to my taste not to my wife’s). But definitely it is very different to my model 3. Need to check whether my current one is working properly- as the regen what I experienced at the Y is stronger and more brake like. Mine has always been like coasting (it is still on the high regen setup) - I have to use brakes a bit with my Model 3. The Y regen felt like regen braking. I’ll open a service request.

Other than that the Tesla salesman mentioned about the ‘hire’ price reduction. You can get a Y for 2 years for £399 with a deposit of £3300. Also mentioned about the new scheme of Tesla adding a deposit of £3000 as the interest rate has increased to 3.9% for Y till Dec. Sounded like a nice gesture given that they’ve increased the interest rate.

Will think about the Y. But the new 3 is also tempting. :)

Also noticed the regen was much stronger (to my taste not to my wife’s). But definitely it is very different to my model 3. Need to check whether my current one is working properly- as the regen what I experienced at the Y is stronger and more brake like. Mine has always been like coasting (it is still on the high regen setup) - I have to use brakes a bit with my Model 3. The Y regen felt like regen braking. I’ll open a service request.
Is your M3 LFP ?

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that, but maybe its related to battery size - I don't remember the M3 LR I had having less regen than the MY LR I have now. But I dunno how SR+ and MY RWD battery sizes compare
It's not about the battery size but type of battery and SOC on either. The diference to me was night and day when we changed from an M3 SR+ from Fremont to the LFP MIC, emphasised even more with the LFP at higher state of charge.

The regen on our Y LR is definitely much stronger at any SOC than our M3 LFP but pretty much on par with the Fremont car we initially had.

Will think about the Y.
Also I felt the Y that I drove (23 reg) was much tighter and compact than my Model 3. Wasn’t sure whether it was because of the interior being dark because of privacy glass whereas the Model 3 is much airy and brighter (lack of privacy glass). That could be one of the reason I felt more cosy in the Y. My son could put a little bean bag in front of his seat and can easily lie in. That’s one of the perks of having a Y I guess.

I have a 2021 M3 SR+ and I fully agree that the regen is often (not always) notably less than the MY LR. Certainly more noticeable in the winter time when battery is cold etc.... unless i give it a good time to precondition, the regent is practically non existent if driving right away on a non pre conditioned battery. As the battery warms up its gets better but it does seem the MY (or could be just the dual motor in general?) is more resilient when it comes to reduced regen braking issues... Have ordered a 2024 M3 LR so hoping that the dual motor AWD on the new highland will be better than the SR+ LFP. We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
Have ordered a 2024 M3 LR so hoping that the dual motor AWD on the new highland will be better than the SR+ LFP

Totally subjective, but when I switched from M3 LR AWD to MY (same) I don't remember noticing any difference in Regen (and if it had been significantly different I'm pretty sure I would have done). None of them had LFP, so maybe that's the ticket.

Don't remember Bjorn doing a Regen test ... but that would be handy - 180-to-0 regen time & distance :)

Don't remember Bjorn doing a Regen test ... but that would be handy - 180-to-0 regen time & distance :)
I find that regen is so variable, depending on battery percentage and temperature, that though it would be interesting to know the differences it would be extremely difficult to compare in a straightforward test. I suppose Bjorn is used to going to the lengths needed so maybe he could manage something close enough.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
As we are nearing the end of our lease we thought we will do a test drive of Y and see whether it suits us.

I wanted a RWD though limited by range - we are used to the SR+ Model 3. We didn’t think the LR will add much to our needs. But we may choose a LR at the end. Fingers crossed.

I was worried about the ride and comfort having read previous reviews. But pleasantly surprised by the ride quality and the suppleness to the ride. It wasn’t jiggly at all. And when you are at the back there is so much space to stretch your legs and feel comfy.

Bit dark inside but I don’t mind that.

The other thing I noticed was felt like driving a hatchback rather than a cross over.

Other than that the Tesla salesman mentioned about the ‘hire’ price reduction. You can get a Y for 2 years for £399 with a deposit of £3300. Also mentioned about the new scheme of Tesla adding a deposit of £3000 as the interest rate has increased to 3.9% for Y till Dec. Sounded like a nice gesture given that they’ve increased the interest rate.

Will think about the Y. But the new 3 is also tempting.
The hire deal is amazing.