Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expect most are waiting for the impact of the energy Cap increases to decide if its worth paying the over the top price for a Tesla and if we should go with a cheaper ICE car for the next year or two as the price of these cars is so high it must be cancelling out the fuel savings. At least we can cancel without taking penalties.
That would probably mean we get cars sooner not later right? Not what we’re experiencing.

That being said it does make sense to question as if we hit over a pound per kWh you’re only getting ~200 miles for £50 which I think is about equivalent to 30mpg.

Still think anyone buying a Tesla is only semi-partially concerned about fuel saving and buying for other reasons. Otherwise why wouldn’t you buy a much cheaper car anyway and use the 20-30k saving on fuel.

Last edited:
Expect most are waiting for the impact of the energy Cap increases to decide if its worth paying the over the top price for a Tesla and if we should go with a cheaper ICE car for the next year or two as the price of these cars is so high it must be cancelling out the fuel savings. At least we can cancel without taking penalties.
You are right Algeron some prospective buyers will be put off by energy prices, which assures a Q4 delivery for everyone who wants one probably, including those expecting cars in Q1 and Q2 next year, maybe with some cars going to new inventory. These are cataclysmic times, and that isn't catastrophising the current problems. The government isn't saying anything with regards to how it might be solved or how long the situation may last ... mainly because there is no palatable solution to hand ... leaving only unpalatable ones (e.g. new alliances with Russia). However, the car market was always going to be a mixed economy in terms of take-up of fuel-types. Petrol will suit some, diesel others, plug-in hybrids have their role, and EV will continue to appeal to some. Each have their inherent benefits and disadvantages ... the challenge is to sort out which makes most sense on an individual basis, based on price, convenience, personal values and so on. Right now, I am still going along with the purchase (sweetened if Truss reduces VAT). My plan is to charge at night in the winter for this year on an Octopus intelligent tariff (£4.50 theoretically for a full charge), knowing that the price may double, treble, quadruple ... who knows ... by this time next year. Cheap off-peak tariffs will hopefully be around as part of the Energy offer for the foreseeable future. Like some others, I have been lucky in that I invested in solar - 9 months ago - seeing the writing was on the wall for energy prices though nowhere near realising the full extent. If anyone has the means and the type of property that lends itself to solar I believe it to be a good option. This morning, the tumble dryer has been on, two laundry washes, cooked lunch ... with no electricity imported from the grid ... I have also exported 10kWh to the grid which could have gone in the Tesla and given me 40-50 miles. I keep reminding myself that life is for living, I would love to experience owning a Tesla, and hope to keep it (or trade it in for a MY in the future) to see out my car-driving days ... and I hope that is for a long time to come!

You are right Algeron some prospective buyers will be put off by energy prices, which assures a Q4 delivery for everyone who wants one probably, including those expecting cars in Q1 and Q2 next year, maybe with some cars going to new inventory. These are cataclysmic times, and that isn't catastrophising the current problems. The government isn't saying anything with regards to how it might be solved or how long the situation may last ... mainly because there is no palatable solution to hand ... leaving only unpalatable ones (e.g. new alliances with Russia). However, the car market was always going to be a mixed economy in terms of take-up of fuel-types. Petrol will suit some, diesel others, plug-in hybrids have their role, and EV will continue to appeal to some. Each have their inherent benefits and disadvantages ... the challenge is to sort out which makes most sense on an individual basis, based on price, convenience, personal values and so on. Right now, I am still going along with the purchase (sweetened if Truss reduces VAT). My plan is to charge at night in the winter for this year on an Octopus intelligent tariff (£4.50 theoretically for a full charge), knowing that the price may double, treble, quadruple ... who knows ... by this time next year. Cheap off-peak tariffs will hopefully be around as part of the Energy offer for the foreseeable future. Like some others, I have been lucky in that I invested in solar - 9 months ago - seeing the writing was on the wall for energy prices though nowhere near realising the full extent. If anyone has the means and the type of property that lends itself to solar I believe it to be a good option. This morning, the tumble dryer has been on, two laundry washes, cooked lunch ... with no electricity imported from the grid ... I have also exported 10kWh to the grid which could have gone in the Tesla and given me 40-50 miles. I keep reminding myself that life is for living, I would love to experience owning a Tesla, and hope to keep it (or trade it in for a MY in the future) to see out my car-driving days ... and I hope that is for a long time to come!

Even at 60p a kwh it's £36 to fully charge a RWD for 300 WLTP miles.

Compare to an ICE car that gets 40 mpg, 300 miles distance is currently £48, there's still a saving just not as much, the problem with Tesla's still isn't demand it's supply.
Expect most are paying £200 more than they would on an ICE car and assuming the fuel savings will balance it out but it seems Putin has got other ideas. The longer we wait for the car the more liley something better is going to come along and
Excellent reply thank you.

That would probably mean we get cars sooner not later right? Not what we’re experiencing.

That being said it does make sense to question as if we hit over a pound per kWh you’re only getting ~200 miles for £50 which I think is about equivalent to 30mpg.

Still think anyone buying a Tesla is only semi-partially concerned about fuel saving and buying for other reasons. Otherwise why wouldn’t you buy a much cheaper car anyway and use the 20-30k saving on fuel.
I’m coming from a big petrol performance BMW which took £120 petrol for 320 miles to a M3RWD Tesla. Thankfully I’m on a fixed day/night rate (23.5p/13p) so I’m quids in for another year or so. The price of electric has to go up a hell of a lot more before it beats my gas guzzling BMW, so selfishly, I’ll just keep waiting for Elon to deliver my vehicle. That’s not to mention the £540 road tax I was due to pay.

As Loneranger says, Life is for living, so I’m all in for the M3RWD 👍👍👍👍⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

Reactions: M3UK and LoneRanger
Expect most are paying £200 more than they would on an ICE car and assuming the fuel savings will balance it out but it seems Putin has got other ideas. The longer we wait for the car the more liley something better is going to come along and

Excellent reply thank you.
What do you mean £200 more? £200 more per month?

You seem to be speculating a lot about what ‘most’ people are doing - e.g. earlier you said people are probably reconsidering purchase and now you are saying most people are justifying the extra monthly cost as they will get it back in fuel savings - what I’m not seeing is what your point is?

Are these concerns you have and you’re looking for discussion / reassurance? Assuming what most people are doing is a dangerous thing and basing decisions off what most people are doing is the same.

Remember most people voted for certain things and groups that will remain nameless.

Reactions: Utumno

You seem to be speculating a lot about what ‘most’ people are doing

Many people (note I didn’t assume most) are getting these cars via BIK/business grant schemes and will be very unlikely to be worried about price or fuel as they either drive an EV already so it’s a net zero to them or they’re saving so much from going EV with those schemes it’s minimal consequence.

Can we all play nicely please as you're all making assumptions and generalisations on what all/some/many/most people are doing, and there's a valid debate beneath all that on how people might be reassessing the purchase of an EV, the costs of electricty going forwards etc..

Reactions: partywme
I thought we were having that debate 🤷‍♂️ but fair enough.

Leaving aside assumptions - there is no evidence of large amounts of cancellations due to energy pricing so far. Either by people posting in this thread, news, or people getting EDDs moving forwards.

I could spend my Tesla deposit on a solar array and a Renault Twizy. I think they can do 8mi/kWh and could probably charge it from solar in the UK winter.

Reactions: Dommmm
Has anyone found any decent M3 floor mats in the UK or are the official Tesla ones the only way to go? I didn’t mind the look of Teslashield but not sure you can get them over here?

Ideally
- All weather
- Stylish
- OEM feel
- No logo
CA6C28A3-A6EA-4823-A428-260F0F7D0E3A.png

I am considering going with the above. Not over the top in terms of pricing, and the fact that the fit will be good appeals. I like the fact that they are all-weather. I like the idea of using the frunk, probably just because I can, and the mat might stop things sliding around quite so much as I experience high ‘g’ from traffic lights and going round corners … the console trays seem to be a pretty standard price. I seem to remember when reserving the car that carpet mats were included at that time 🤔

Reactions: dajw2793
View attachment 847052

I am considering going with the above. Not over the top in terms of pricing, and the fact that the fit will be good appeals. I like the fact that they are all-weather. I like the idea of using the frunk, probably just because I can, and the mat might stop things sliding around quite so much as I experience high ‘g’ from traffic lights and going round corners … the console trays seem to be a pretty standard price. I seem to remember when reserving the car that carpet mats were included at that time 🤔
I have exactly the same in my basket 😂 I just dare not order them as it feels like tempting fate until I have a VIN

Reactions: LoneRanger
The only other extra direct from Tesla I'm considering is the pet liner because it looks to have the best door protection, that's quite a bit more expensive than alternatives though.
My pet liner arrived today. Seems well made, and looks as if it is well tailored to fit the car (which I'm due to pick up on 28/09). Ordered in advance so that I can put it in straight away and avoid any dog damage! It is pricey though.

Energy prices are about to make a big impact to our lives and we really need to consider while we can if its worth continuing with the Tesla order.
I’m getting a solar system installed in Sep seems a wise move now, 6kw panels, 5.2kwh battery and 5.5 kw inverter - over the guarantee period of 10 years if it generates what it should (my conservative projections not the installer) it’ll average 22p per kWh generated - just need to make sure most of it gets used and not exported which is a challenge but the EV being at home through the day 4 days out of 7 should make that easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LoneRanger
I’m getting a solar system installed in Sep seems a wise move now, 6kw panels, 5.2kwh battery and 5.5 kw inverter - over the guarantee period of 10 years if it generates what it should (my conservative projections not the installer) it’ll average 22p per kWh generated - just need to make sure most of it gets used and not exported which is a challenge but the EV being at home through the day 4 days out of 7 should make that easier.
Assume your working from home like myself so less viable to have a £48,000 car sitting on the driveway. I get these conversation from my wife constantly. Is the installation costly as they say can take years to return the outlay. Government contributing with one of their grants or schemes to go green? Now worth looking into with our energy monthly about to cost the same as the Tesla.