Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 screen blacks out while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3 LR RWD 2.5 months with no screen blackouts until just now, while driving on city streets. First the music went out, then I noticed the screen was frozen - no change in mph. Then I heard a clicking noise, then the screen went black. A few minutes before this all started, I had opened the app to update the calendar. Then this all started. Related? Probably not. I was scared the car wouldn't drive while the screen was black, but everything still worked for driving. Then it rebooted and all was fine. What the heck??? Anyone else have this?

I've had a few experiences exactly like yours while I was driving on the highway on Autopilot. I just had to take over, the music cut out, AC stopped, then it rebooted in 2 minutes. I don't know what causes it either, but you should submit a bug report in the car.

Reactions: Carol525
It happens a few times in the one year I own the car. First time it was scary. But the reboot is fast. Sometime when the screen glitch out in the middle of the drive, I will initiated the reboot (holding both wheel buttons) while driving to clear it. I remember one time I was supercharging, a guy came out of his car to ours and ask "I am sorry to bother you, but my screen went black and won't came back on..." so I asked him if he knew how to reboot the MCU? Apparently he had no idea and just got the car recently so I show him and told him it is no big deal and he will be doing it quite a few times.. especially after a software update.