Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 size comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird - I've driven both (2016 models) and the A6 felt substantially more spacious than the Civic. In fact, the Civic sedan felt only slightly bigger than our ILX, especially the backseat.
Sure you weren't in an A8? All AUDIs do look alike these days!

Keep in mind that even the A8 was Midsize, as is the Lexus LS. Only the extended wheelbase version A8 L achieved the 'Large' designation. So, since the A6 emblem and A8 emblem are practically identical at a glance, a 2014 A8 would have been larger than a Civic, but stll midsize.

AUDI dumped the smaller A8 in favor of only the A8 L in the U.S. in 2015. I suspect they did so in embarrassment upon realizing their standard flagship was actually smaller than Model S.

Keep in mind that even the A8 was Midsize, as is the Lexus LS. Only the extended wheelbase version A8 L achieved the 'Large' designation. So, since the A6 emblem and A8 emblem are practically identical at a glance, a 2014 A8 would have been larger than a Civic, but stll midsize.

AUDI dumped the smaller A8 in favor of only the A8 L in the U.S. in 2015. I suspect they did so in embarrassment upon realizing their standard flagship was actually smaller than Model S.
Naw, my mother-in-law definitely has an A6. Agree that Audis generally look the same, and really share the body shape with VW. Definitely appreciate the A7 to some degree, but it can look like a larger Ford Fusion from a distance, lol.

Just remember that the cubic foot measurement isn't everything. An actual feeling of roominess is a combination of design factors that a single metric can't capture.

Reactions: EVNow
Civic is classified as compact. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information that it's a midsize or even large car.
Model 3 will be much larger inside and out.
Go to the SPECS tab and click for classification and interior room:

Compare Side-by-Side

The 2017 Tesla MS has 94cuft passenger room. The 2017 Civic has 98/97cuft of passenger room. The hatch is rated as Large Car, the Sedan as Mid-Sized.

• Informative
Reactions: garsh
Civic is classified as compact. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information that it's a midsize or even large car.
Model 3 will be much larger inside and out.
The official car size designations are determined by and published by the EPA -- EPA Size Class. They often vary from the marketing terms used by salesmen in the automobile industry. The EPA's ratings are based upon usable volume for passengers and luggage. The automotive industry uses a variety of fluctuating and arbitrary metrics instead.

Per the EPA, cars like the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra are all Midsize.

Meanwhile, the EPA says cars like the A4, 3-Series Sedan, and C-Class are all Compact.

It isn't the price point, market segment, length, width, height, wheelbase, weight, or track that determines the size classification of a passenger vehicle. Follow the links for details.

Just remember that the cubic foot measurement isn't everything. An actual feeling of roominess is a combination of design factors that a single metric can't capture.
Numbers were invented for a reason. A 'feeling of roominess' is as useful for comparison as a 'feeling of luxury' or a 'feeling of being in love'. The fact of the matter is that a Honda Civic is a larger vehicle than is a BMW 320i when it comes to internal carrying capacity for passengers and luggage. The Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class takes up a LOT of space. It is long, wide, sleek, and beautiful -- and a Compact car, smaller than a Civic -- on the inside, where it matters. The numbers have no reason to lie, unlike salesmen, or lovers. Read 'em and weep.

The current Honda Civic is a close interior match to the AUDI A6:

Compare Side-by-Side

That's really weird. I had a 2015 A3 TDI and now drive a 2016 Civic 4-door. They seem very comparable in interior space. It's hard for me to believe that the A4, much less the A6, wouldn't be a big upgrade in terms of space. For that matter, it's what I've been expecting in my reserved Model 3....that it would essentially be the size of my A3 from the exterior, but with the interior room of an accord/A4. Simplistic perhaps, but that's what my assumptions were at least.

Numbers were invented for a reason. A 'feeling of roominess' is as useful for comparison as a 'feeling of luxury' or a 'feeling of being in love'. The fact of the matter is that a Honda Civic is a larger vehicle than is a BMW 320i when it comes to internal carrying capacity for passengers and luggage. The Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class takes up a LOT of space. It is long, wide, sleek, and beautiful -- and a Compact car, smaller than a Civic -- on the inside, where it matters. The numbers have no reason to lie, unlike salesmen, or lovers. Read 'em and weep.

I agree that they are the only neutral comparable metric, just pointing out it is still valid for people to say that one car feels roomier even if it technically has less square feet of passenger space. For instance, I like my seat low and reclined, so a high roof like the Bolt is completely wasted space for me, despite it giving more cubic feet of passenger space. I'm not saying it isn't a useful comparison, just that it isn't the last word, especially when doing something like comparing a hatchback like the Civic to a sedan like the Model 3. There are other design tradeoffs being made.

Reactions: Red Sage
I agree that they are the only neutral comparable metric, just pointing out it is still valid for people to say that one car feels roomier even if it technically has less square feet of passenger space. For instance, I like my seat low and reclined, so a high roof like the Bolt is completely wasted space for me, despite it giving more cubic feet of passenger space. I'm not saying it isn't a useful comparison, just that it isn't the last word, especially when doing something like comparing a hatchback like the Civic to a sedan like the Model 3. There are other design tradeoffs being made.
Right, there is a lot of metrics that goes to feeling roomy. The seating position matters a lot.

And as relevant for smaller cars, usually where it gives is the width and length. They are typically made taller for more headroom, but then they are typically narrower and shorter, so can still feel cramped if headroom is not your primary concern. And for traditional hatchbacks in particular, a lot of the volume goes toward extra rear headroom, which a driver/passenger will not benefit from. So a car with the same interior volume (esp. with different body styles) may not necessarily feel roomier.

Understood. Well stated. I don't mind the entry path to a Tesla Model S because I am a longtime Honda fan, from the good ol' days of double wishbone suspension at all four corners. Slung low and quick works just fine for me. Even in my old age, I rarely make use of grab handles. It is strange to me that so many want to walk into a car, then climb up onto living room furniture.

But... I would recommend noting that the BOLT is actually smaller than the FIT in overall volume, and they both have the same EPA designation 'Small Wagon'. Though GM is attempting to market the BOLT as some sort of Compact Crossover -- with front wheel drive...?

McRat,

Wow, I stand corrected. Something does not add up however. Have you driven a Model S? Then a Civic? I have and the Model S FEELS much bigger inside. Not even close.
I guess we could look at the actual specs, shoulder room, headroom, knee room, etc and see why?

McRat,

Wow, I stand corrected. Something does not add up however. Have you driven a Model S? Then a Civic? I have and the Model S FEELS much bigger inside. Not even close.
I guess we could look at the actual specs, shoulder room, headroom, knee room, etc and see why?
So I just took a look at consumer reports seating dimensions chart. The Model is is indeed bigger IN THE FRONT than a Civic, but actually SMALLER in the back. I guess since I was driving I never really evaluated the back seats.

McRat,

The Model S is classified as a Large car by the EPA. But there are those that insist it is Midsize instead, and wish to compare it to A6, E-Class, and 5-Series, even though neither of those is the flagship of their line.

if the Model S is a mid-sized car than my Solstice is a minivan.
I don't know how they are rationalizing the sizing, but some common sense has to come into play, wouldn't you think?
I think that some people wish to classify car sizes by arbitrary points of reference. Things like overall length, wheelbase, the length of the hood, and the amount of legroom. They do not recognize interior volume for passengers and luggage as a viable metric, even though it is the only one the EPA uses.

I understand different people have different needs. But fitting a car comfortably is not the same as picking clothing off the rack. I am always surprised how many pairs of pants in the men's section of a clothing store max out at a 30" inseam. My legs haven't been that short since maybe Third Grade. And I never experienced better legroom than in the back seat of my Granddad's Buick Electra 225.

Then there are the people who don't understand why their 36" wide wheelchair will not fit through the 24" wide doorways in their home. But they can't seem to find a comfortable seating position inside any vehicle. In the good ole days before booster seats you could fit six kids side-by-side in my Granddad's Buick. Two per seatbelt, in a pinch.