Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Skid Plates - Upgrade from Fiberboard to Aluminum đź‘Ť

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know where to get the bolts that are needed if we are missing any for the skid plates?
I'm having a hard time finding extra bolts or replacement bolts. Is the only way to get them through teslas parts?
I did mine today & the screws they use is a M6.
One of the OEM screw in the rear couldn't reach back onto basically a flange they use to hold the rear skid plate & so I ran to Home Depot & measured it using a gauge in their nails & screw section as an M6.

I took the advice above & bought longer screws @ 30mm & 40mm.

Ended up using both & swap out 2 rear OEM - one of which was the offending one.

Pretty much a painless job except for the short screw issue in the rear and the below issue.

Spent 30 mins in the front where they used a clip as the counter sink to 1 of the screws - that was spinning freely not allowing us to remove this screw.

We only realized this after we used some shears to cut the panel off around this one screw & saw the spinning clip.
Solution was to stick a Flathead screwdriver to stop the clip from spinning and we were able to remove the screw. Finally.

Apparently the offending clip had slipped out from the front bumper plastic chin panel & cause the skid plate screw to just spin with it.

So all in all, the 2 issues cost us about 1 hour extra. Plus the 30 minutes to jack & stand everything up. Otherwise, it's a 1 hour job without those 2 issues at home.

Attachments

• PXL_20220730_164333012~2.jpg
    PXL_20220730_164333012~2.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I did mine today & the screws they use is a M6.
One of the OEM screw in the rear couldn't reach back onto basically a flange they use to hold the rear skid plate & so I ran to Home Depot & measured it using a gauge in their nails & screw section as an M6.

I took the advice above & bought longer screws @ 30mm & 40mm.

Ended up using both & swap out 2 rear OEM - one of which was the offending one.

Pretty much a painless job except for the short screw issue in the rear and the below issue.

Spent 30 mins in the front where they used a clip as the counter sink to 1 of the screws - that was spinning freely not allowing us to remove this screw.

We only realized this after we used some shears to cut the panel off around this one screw & saw the spinning clip.
Solution was to stick a Flathead screwdriver to stop the clip from spinning and we were able to remove the screw. Finally.

Apparently the offending clip had slipped out from the front bumper plastic chin panel & cause the skid plate screw to just spin with it.

So all in all, the 2 issues cost us about 1 hour extra. Plus the 30 minutes to jack & stand everything up. Otherwise, it's a 1 hour job without those 2 issues at home.

Hey you have the same jack stands as me. I've used them a good amount now. They've been pretty solid for me.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I just want to point out this recent thread. This is exactly why I got the plates. Anything small could hit those coolant lines in the front easy with the fabric cover.

Reactions: VQTRVA