Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR Order Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 RWD Standard Range on 1/18/22. Much to my surprise my VIN was assigned the next day with an estimated delivery of 1/27-3/3. So I rushed to get financing and insurance completed, had the bank wire the funds to Tesla, and completed all information and documentation needed by Tesla. Had not heard anything else back from them in a few days, so yesterday I inquired asking if there is anything else needed for completion.

Today I get a text message saying that they had to unmatch my current VIN due to that VIN not being done in manufacturing. I tried to inquire about how this changes my ETA on delivery but they cannot give me an answer. Have asked several times for someone to contact me and instead they just keep sending me a canned response over text message saying that I will be contacted close to the delivery date. Tried calling as well and stood on hold for two hours with no answer.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do here. Do I cancel the insurance until they get me an ETA? I also have to get with the bank to likely redo the loan paperwork due to the VIN change?

I was just bragging this morning to someone how this has been the best car buying experience ever, now I'm not so sure.

That's frustrating. I'm guessing they matched you up with a vehicle that was "in inventory". There appears to be around 300 of the RWD M3 around the country. Hopefully they will be able to get you connected with one of them soon. However, your insurance and bank info will need to be updated with the new VIN. Probably going to need to cancel the insurance policy one way or another and do a new policy once you have a new VIN, so might as well do it now. Sorry they wasted your time and gave a false hope. This type of situation really should not happen.

That's frustrating. I'm guessing they matched you up with a vehicle that was "in inventory". There appears to be around 300 of the RWD M3 around the country. Hopefully they will be able to get you connected with one of them soon. However, your insurance and bank info will need to be updated with the new VIN. Probably going to need to cancel the insurance policy one way or another and do a new policy once you have a new VIN, so might as well do it now. Sorry they wasted your time and gave a false hope. This type of situation really should not happen.

Thanks. I hope this is the case. The rep nonchalantly sending me a canned message every time that I ask to be contacted is pissing me off more than anything right now. I can understand that mistakes happen, things come up. The last message was at 1:30 PM yesterday. No follow up whatsoever. They could have at least responded before the end of the day that they were still looking into it. If I have to wait a bit for the car that is fine with me, I just don't want to be sitting here paying for insurance and interest on a vehicle that I have no idea when it will be delivered.

I’m in *exactly* the same situation. Will try contacting them again today and cancel my insurance and financing. It’s frustrating that this also happened after I wired them my downpayment and sold my old car. As you said, the lack of communication is the most frustrating thing. NOT the best customer experience.

I’m in *exactly* the same situation. Will try contacting them again today and cancel my insurance and financing. It’s frustrating that this also happened after I wired them my downpayment and sold my old car. As you said, the lack of communication is the most frustrating thing. NOT the best customer experience.

Man, sorry to hear that. Hope you get resolved fast so that you have a vehicle. Thankfully, I have a vehicle available to me that I can borrow anytime (mother in law's car). That would definitely make this an even worse experience.

Reactions: idgokhale

Just a quick update. I was able to get Tesla on the phone this morning. They couldn't provide any more information than I already have. They did leave a note to the rep that has been texting me to contact me as soon as possible.

Reactions: idgokhale
Wow, this has been a journey to say the least.

After not receiving a phone call or response with any clarification through the weekend, I texted again on Monday for any updates. I finally receive a phone call from the Memphis team. My rep explains to me that I have two choices, they can find a car in current inventory for me but there are no red cars available matching my order. Second, I would have to wait 5 days for them to mark me as ineligible for the current VIN. Then they could assign me a new VIN and restart the order process. We start talking about the second option. I ask her for an ETA for delivery on this process, she can't give me one. I then ask if Tesla will be reimbursing me for the loan interest and insurance expenses that I am incurring while I wait. She states that that is my problem, starts to get offensive, and proceeds to hang up on me. Try to call back, straight to voicemail. I'm assuming that She either blocked my number or turned her phone off.

Next I try to contact Tesla customer service again to file a complaint against this rep and finally try to resolve this. After a few hour phone wait I finally get a rep on the phone. They proceed to inform me that the system shows nothing wrong with my current VIN number, and they don't understand why any of this is going on. They proceeded to leave a note with another manager with the Memphis team to get this resolved and contact me as soon as possible.

This morning, I get a text that my new estimated delivery date is Feb. 8th. The current VIN number is correct and I will be receiving a text soon to schedule delivery.

I'm just praying at this point that this information is actually correct. I'm really not sure what was really happening here. Could it be possible that they were trying to give my reservation to another customer? Why else would they be so insistent with issuing me another VIN number when nothing was actually wrong with this one?

Anyway, I hope this is the final resolution and my service experience improves from here going.