Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+/RWD for Home Health?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone drive their Model 3 as their form of vehicle for Home Health? I drive roughly about 100-130 miles on a daily basis for work in the Los Angeles area.

What has been your experience been coming from an ICE vehicle?
Are you saving money on maintenance and fuel?

Does anyone drive their Model 3 as their form of vehicle for Home Health? I drive roughly about 100-130 miles on a daily basis for work in the Los Angeles area.

In theory, you should be able to save on maintenance and fuel.

There's not much to maintain except for tire rotation just like a gasoline car, cabin air conditioner every 2 years... See the complete schedule:

I drove 100,000 miles on my 2012 Model S and my maintenance was also minimum and the brake pads were still almost like brand new due to regenerative brakes and the rare use of friction brakes.

I said theory because EPA says you can get 272 miles on your full battery and 54 MPG on your Toyota Prius Prime but those are just laboratory numbers. Still, they are useful for comparison.

Your battery capacity is 60 kWh and the SCE rate for residential off-peak TOU-D-Prime is $0.19.

You multiply them together and you can see how much it cost for each 60kWh battery:

60 kWh x $0.19 = $11.4 / battery.

Since each battery can run 272 miles, you do the math:

$11.4 / 272 miles = $0.04191176471 / miles

The 2022 Toyota Prius Prime is 54 MPG, so let's get the equivalent gallon price for the Model 3:

$0.04191176471 / miles x 54 MPG = $2.263235294 / gallon.

So if you see the price on the gas station is $2.26 / gallon then you are breaking even.

If it's higher, then you are saving money for fuel on Model 3.

Even if the gasoline price is very cheap, I still prefer EV because of its convenience: No noise, no smoke, no stopping by a gas station, no oil changes... I would be willing to pay for the convenience and skip gasoline hassles.

It might be unfair to compare the expensive Model 3 with the economy class Prius, but it's just an illustration of how you can do the maths yourself.

Last edited:
I had to google to see what you were talking about, OP. If this means what google says it means "providing home care, taking patients to the doctor, etc", then you likely want to use that model Y in your signature instead (or get another one).

The higher seating position, easier ability to put things like walkers (or possibly wheelchairs) in there calls for something with a big trunk and a higher seating position than a model 3.

if it doesnt mean what google says it means, then perhaps an explanation of what you are talking about might be helpful.

Reactions: Jamesus
Sorta relatable, I’m in the ABA field driving from client to client’s house, roughly driving 50-100 miles within a day. Before my Tesla I had a VW Golf, filling up once a week at $60 or $240ish a month. I charge at my apartment for free so my only costs is paying for the car payments. 0 maintenance costs, other than paying for the SC to change out of cabin filter ($80ish) and new tires ($800) around 15k miles.

If you have a paid off car and it’s in good condition, it’s most likely cheaper to stay with that car. If your looking for a New car definitely consider a MY/M3.

I try to keep my vehicle outside in the carport, so no petroleum vapors or fumes come inside the house. In fact, my house is very tightly sealed, so I have an air exchanger, HRV/ERV whatever you want to call it, but it's on the other side, windy side, of the house, opposite of the carport.

In theory, you should be able to save on maintenance and fuel.

There's not much to maintain except for tire rotation just like a gasoline car, cabin air conditioner every 2 years... See the complete schedule:

I drove 100,000 miles on my 2012 Model S and my maintenance was also minimum and the brake pads were still almost like brand new due to regenerative brakes and the rare use of friction brakes.

I said theory because EPA says you can get 272 miles on your full battery and 54 MPG on your Toyota Prius Prime but those are just laboratory numbers. Still, they are useful for comparison.

Your battery capacity is 60 kWh and the SCE rate for residential off-peak TOU-D-Prime is $0.19.

You multiply them together and you can see how much it cost for each 60kWh battery:

60 kWh x $0.19 = $11.4 / battery.

Since each battery can run 272 miles, you do the math:

$11.4 / 272 miles = $0.04191176471 / miles

The 2022 Toyota Prius Prime is 54 MPG, so let's get the equivalent gallon price for the Model 3:

$0.04191176471 / miles x 54 MPG = $2.263235294 / gallon.

So if you see the price on the gas station is $2.26 / gallon then you are breaking even.

If it's higher, then you are saving money for fuel on Model 3.

Even if the gasoline price is very cheap, I still prefer EV because of its convenience: No noise, no smoke, no stopping by a gas station, no oil changes... I would be willing to pay for the convenience and skip gasoline hassles.

It might be unfair to compare the expensive Model 3 with the economy class Prius, but it's just an illustration of how you can do the maths yourself.
Thank you for the very detailed breakdown. I'll take this into consideration when my EDD gets closer.