Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to see what people were thinking of the likelihood the standard battery Model 3 would be available any time in the near future? I know the estimator is "late 2018," but with all the production issues and the number of times that estimate has been pushed back already, I don't know how hopeful I am.

For info, I'm a day 1 reservation holder in AZ, never owned a Tesla before. My reservation just came up a couple weeks ago, but I don't have the money for the upgraded model. When I originally signed up I was hoping for the $35,000 base model, plus the tax credit. I'm excited to finally have my number come up, but I'm getting concerned that the $35,000 price is never going to actually happen. Just wanted to see what the latest rumors were at this point. Thanks!

As it looks now the US tax credit won`t be (fully) available anymore when the 35k model actually becomes available.

Think people mentioned late 2018. We`re probably gonna see AWD and P Versions before the SR-Base Model.

Last edited:
Based on current rumors, SR would be 2018Q4 or 2019Q1 so $3,750. I think that Tesla would be smart enough to lean towards Q4 just because it's the end of the tax year.

Tesla is gearing up to sell the Model 3 in Canada (the LR+RWD is now listed as eligible for Ontario's rebate), which would divert some sales away from the USA, but at this point it doesn't seem like it would be enough to push the 200,000th sale into 2018Q3. However, since Tesla emphasizes US orders in June, it could have "delays" that push many deliveries into July and I think everybody would know what they're doing.

But I think that a potential bigger issue for the SR is that if Tesla delivers AWD in Q3 as suggested by Elon Musk, Tesla will want to prioritize all those who have deferred for LR+AWD.

I'd buy an SR this year if I could get the full tax credit, but I'm not expecting to be able to, and instead I'm expecting to defer indefinitely and keep driving my current car for 2 or 3 more years.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to see what people were thinking of the likelihood the standard battery Model 3 would be available any time in the near future? I know the estimator is "late 2018," but with all the production issues and the number of times that estimate has been pushed back already, I don't know how hopeful I am.

For info, I'm a day 1 reservation holder in AZ, never owned a Tesla before. My reservation just came up a couple weeks ago, but I don't have the money for the upgraded model. When I originally signed up I was hoping for the $35,000 base model, plus the tax credit. I'm excited to finally have my number come up, but I'm getting concerned that the $35,000 price is never going to actually happen. Just wanted to see what the latest rumors were at this point. Thanks!
The 35.000$ Model 3 is definitely coming, I wouldn't worry about that. Do note that the 35.000$ will be black only, with Aero wheels and no premium upgrades or Autopilot.
The latest rumors, or predictions by Elon Musk, is that the base model and the all wheel drive models will start to be produced only after they hit about 5.000 models per week production. It is estimated that this will be achieved in June and the other models production will start in July. This said I wouldn't count on it being available for non owners until at least Q4 this year, in the USA.