Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard range Plus question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Dommmm

Hello there,
Looking at getting my first Tesla ( and excited about it, only waited about 5 years!). Hoping current owners can help on a few questions if possible please.
We have test driven the Model 3 long range plus which was great to drive, but budget wise I am looking at the Standard range +
After the test drive I was on a high, rear seat split even fitted the surfboard in so no problems. I loved the car. But then saw someone getting out of their standard range plus outside my office and asked how they have found it? only to be told he was very disappointed with the range and that he was getting about 180 miles on average in city/motorway combined and that overnight he was losing 20-25 miles charge.

I really was hoping on here to gauge a few opinions about how people are finding their standard range + on longer journeys and in general. And hoping that some of the confidence is instilled.
I live in London and for day to day journeys I have absolutely no worries, probably 20 miles tops.
The thing is about 4/5 times a year we travel from London to Cornwall which is around 250 miles each way and this purchase is aimed at doing that journey alongside the normal 10/20 mile trips daily and occasional short notice longer trips too. I know on longer journeys a charge is needed and motorway trips at higher speeds deplete the battery quicker, but I wonder how people find this type of journey in the 3 standard range + in our wet often cold climate! and what I should realistically expect?

I did think for my budget perhaps a bigger battery used S 85/90 may be a good option, but a few people steered me away. Due to pro's of warranty on a new car. And also I love the fact individual modules can be changed on the 3 in the future rather than the whole thing.

Any experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! many thanks Dom

(moderator note: edited thread title to say "standard range plus" since that is the vehicle you are asking about).

==============================

There are a lot (and I mean a LOT) of threads here on standard range+ tesla model 3s. If you search the site for "SR+" or "SR Plus" you will likely find enough to read for several weeks.

In general, however, based on how you drive, I would imagine that 180-200 miles of range on a charge during the summer is likely a good number to think about. "Wet and cold" reduces range quite a bit (it does in gas cars too people just dont pay attention to it as much).

Whether you will like making that trip or not depends on whether there is charging on the way, and charging at the destination. You will charge at least once each way on that trip you are talking about, and also charge at the destination.

You can put your trip into a website called "A better route planner" where you can plan out to the trip. Not sure if it covers international locations but I would check it out.

My gut feeling tells me that you should not buy a SR+ but instead save for a Long Range AWD model 3, and if the budget doesnt afford that now, either buy a used LR AWD model 3, or save longer until its in the budget.

You can certainly take road trips in a SR+ model 3 but you will stop more than with a long range vehicle, so you need to be doing it for something other than convenience if you choose to do that.

Reactions: Dommmm
Hello there,
Looking at getting my first Tesla ( and excited about it, only waited about 5 years!). Hoping current owners can help on a few questions if possible please.
We have test driven the Model 3 long range plus which was great to drive, but budget wise I am looking at the Standard range +
After the test drive I was on a high, rear seat split even fitted the surfboard in so no problems. I loved the car. But then saw someone getting out of their standard range plus outside my office and asked how they have found it? only to be told he was very disappointed with the range and that he was getting about 180 miles on average in city/motorway combined and that overnight he was losing 20-25 miles charge.

I really was hoping on here to gauge a few opinions about how people are finding their standard range + on longer journeys and in general. And hoping that some of the confidence is instilled.
I live in London and for day to day journeys I have absolutely no worries, probably 20 miles tops.
The thing is about 4/5 times a year we travel from London to Cornwall which is around 250 miles each way and this purchase is aimed at doing that journey alongside the normal 10/20 mile trips daily and occasional short notice longer trips too. I know on longer journeys a charge is needed and motorway trips at higher speeds deplete the battery quicker, but I wonder how people find this type of journey in the 3 standard range + in our wet often cold climate! and what I should realistically expect?

I did think for my budget perhaps a bigger battery used S 85/90 may be a good option, but a few people steered me away. Due to pro's of warranty on a new car. And also I love the fact individual modules can be changed on the 3 in the future rather than the whole thing.

As our moderator pointed out, try ABRP. Also, ask in the UK forums.

Having said that, whether a certain size battery works for you, depends alot upon the spacing of superchargers. I put in a SR+ from London to Falmouth, 280 miles, 115% of speed limit, at 65F, and got 30mins of charging, total in 2 stops, Amesbury, Exeter. Not too bad.

But if you drop temp to 30F, surprisingly, supercharging time is still 30mins, but 3 stops total. Still not too bad, but running simulations and asking people in the UK forums is your best bet to decide what works for you.

You can see if a S 85/90 gives you a better result, but with degradation and possibly capped supercharging speeds, you may find it's no better. Okay, punched it in, same trip time.

Hello there,

I think a major factor in which variant you choose is whether or not you have charging where you live. If you are able to charge every night the SR+ should be no issue at all given your daily use. I have a 100 mile daily commute and it’s never been an issue even if I have other errands/things to do. I have also taken it on road trips with no issues at all. I’m not familiar with the charging setup in England, but the previous poster had good advice about checking out ABRP, assuming it works for European locations.

I would say the general advice around here is pay up for the extra range you get with the AWD version, but the SR+ has been more than capable for my use and I have to think it would be plenty usable for even some people that have the AWD version. IMO if you have home charging get the SR+, if you don’t I would 2nd guess getting an electric vehicle at all because it seems like a hassle being forced to charge a couple times a week elsewhere...the AWD would fit the bill in that case if you still want a Tesla (which I can’t blame you for because these are amazing vehicles).

Regarding your friend at work’s overnight energy loss, I suspect he has features like Summon Standby and/or Sentry Mode enabled. If he disables those, his range loss should drop to just one or two miles per night.

As for your trips, if the bulk of your driving is the daily slog, with fewer than a half dozen day trips per year, I think the SR+ Is a good fit. As mentioned above, A Better Routeplanner is an excellent tool for evaluating and planning potential trips. You can select different vehicles, weather and driving conditions to get an accurate estimate of charging time and cost.

Caveat: if you don’t have access to home charging, you might want to consider the long range battery to minimize charging trips during the week.

Cheers!

Reactions: Dommmm and Matsayz
@Dommmm, before I bought my current SR+, I ordered a mid-range. At that time the mid-range was 325 miles and the SR+ was 240 miles. Additionally, being totally new and unfamiliar with EV's and Tesla in particular, I mistakenly assumed a one for one, mile to range premise, boy was I wrong!

Anyway, the mid-range was only about 6k or 7k more than the SR+, so based on my incorrect premise on range/miles, I thought 240 would be sufficient, so I cancelled the order for a long range and re-ordered an SR+. For day to day driving to/from work, the SR+ was fine (pre-covid driving of course), but on my first long trip, I quickly learned 240 was not enough, not nearly enough... 325 is (almost) too little. We were stopping every 100 to 160 miles and there were a couple of times that we seemed to burn a lot more range miles and were concerned about even making it to the next supercharger. What I found is that for every mile driven, based on existing circumstances and ambient temps, I consumed 1.3 to 1.6 range miles (there was a high of 1.7 a couple of times) with an overall average of 1.41.

To put the loss into perspective, here's a little graph on the topic.

Range to loss.JPG

It gets worse... I own a house south of Waco (Texas) and a trip to that house from my home in SoCal in my SR+ necessitated 16 stops with an average of 25 mins per stop or an overall downtime of almost 7 hours and a 3-day trip at ~9 hours a day. The next trip was in my wife's ICE, which on the open highway has a range of 425 to 450 miles. So the same trip took 2 days at only about 10 hours per day including meals and gas.

So, if budget is doable, go for the long range model, you won't be sorry, and as an added perk, with the LR, you also shave 1 second off your 0-60 time :D, 5.3 vs 4.2 but consumes a lot of range miles...

@Dommmm, before I bought my current SR+, I ordered a mid-range. At that time the mid-range was 325 miles and the SR+ was 240 miles. Additionally, being totally new and unfamiliar with EV's and Tesla in particular, I mistakenly assumed a one for one, mile to range premise, boy was I wrong!

Anyway, the mid-range was only about 6k or 7k more than the SR+, so based on my incorrect premise on range/miles, I thought 240 would be sufficient, so I cancelled the order for a long range and re-ordered an SR+. For day to day driving to/from work, the SR+ was fine (pre-covid driving of course), but on my first long trip, I quickly learned 240 was not enough, not nearly enough... 325 is (almost) too little. We were stopping every 100 to 160 miles and there were a couple of times that we seemed to burn a lot more range miles and were concerned about even making it to the next supercharger. What I found is that for every mile driven, based on existing circumstances and ambient temps, I consumed 1.3 to 1.6 range miles (there was a high of 1.7 a couple of times) with an overall average of 1.41.

View attachment 621583

It gets worse... I own a house south of Waco (Texas) and a trip to that house from my home in SoCal in my SR+ necessitated 16 stops with an average of 25 mins per stop or an overall downtime of almost 7 hours and a 3-day trip at ~9 hours a day. The next trip was in my wife's ICE, which on the open highway has a range of 425 to 450 miles. So the same trip took 2 days at only about 10 hours per day including meals and gas.

So, if budget is doable, go for the long range model, you won't be sorry, and as an added perk, with the LR, you also shave 1 second off your 0-60 time :D, 5.3 vs 4.2 but consumes a lot of range miles...

Maybe you ment to say " you ordered the long range" because the mid range tesla model 3 has / had a 260 mile range, not 325.

As our moderator pointed out, try ABRP. Also, ask in the UK forums.

Having said that, whether a certain size battery works for you, depends alot upon the spacing of superchargers. I put in a SR+ from London to Falmouth, 280 miles, 115% of speed limit, at 65F, and got 30mins of charging, total in 2 stops, Amesbury, Exeter. Not too bad.

But if you drop temp to 30F, surprisingly, supercharging time is still 30mins, but 3 stops total. Still not too bad, but running simulations and asking people in the UK forums is your best bet to decide what works for you.

You can see if a S 85/90 gives you a better result, but with degradation and possibly capped supercharging speeds, you may find it's no better. Okay, punched it in, same trip time.

OP, since you are new to TMC, here is a link to the "UK forums" that are mentioned by @KenC .

The UK and Ireland

They might have UK specific recommendations in that part of the forum.

Hello there,

I maybe lose 1 mile per night. He must have some features on like sentry mode draining the battery. 20-25 mile loss per night is not a normal occurrence so don't worry.

As for range, he's not lying. SR+ is realistically a sub 200 mile range car with everyday "real world driving". The new SR+'s with the heat pumps have slightly more range but not a drastic amount. Technically, it is capable of achieving its EPA range, but only under the perfect conditions, and that is unlikely unless you drive the literal speed limit in the city and on the highway all the time with 18 Aero's and no pedal mashing and probably AC off or on 1.

Realistically, you will be running the AC, stomping the pedal a good amount of times and traveling faster than the speed limits. With this, you will not see the EPA range.

Ex: I drove a 145 mile trip to a Supercharger. Started on a 100% charge, 217 miles displayed. Drove ~75 mph on the highway (was still being passed by most cars at this speed). Once I got to the Supercharger I had 44 miles remaining and had driven 145.7 miles so I was basically going to get 190 miles on that charge. If I had driven say 70 or even 65 mph (very slow) I could have gotten maybe 205-220 miles or so. Still not the full 240. I also have 19's (I lose some range) so only the 18's will help you achieve some more range. So ~200 mile drives are achievable in an SR+ with a SC in route, but obviously more leeway with a long range traveling the same distance.

I've also never seen 240 miles displayed or even travelled that far on a single charge.

Having owned an SR+ for 15 months now, it's the greatest car I've ever had, but I would not buy it again. I would get a Long range at the minimum and preferably a dual motor. The extra range, power and sound system is 100% worth the extra cost.

Then you can just keep it for a long time as it's the perfect overall car.

Reactions: Dommmm and Big Earl
Hello Dommmmmmmmmmmm,

I have a SR+ for about a year now. Don't have a charger at home (but the possibility to charge for free when shopping). Regularly do trips in the 500+ mile range (Switzerland, Germany and France). Just recently we did a trip to the south of France (750 km each way). We stopped twice, with each drive between chargers about 2.5 hours long.

Overall, in the 15.000 miles we drove this past year, only twice would we have saved a significant amount of time compard to the LR.

Personally, I like to think about it this way:

How much time (per year) do you save with a LR compared to the SR+?

5 trips (10 extra charges for the SR+ in the worst case, since it is not guaranteed that your bladder or the LR will make all the trips non-stop either)
Each stop about 20 minutes. So per year you save 100 minutes. Is that worth 5000 pounds?

I'm always surprised how many people own the LR compared to the SR+. If you don't work with your car and need to drive long distances everyday the SR+ is plenty. One thing I would wait for, though, is seeing how the LFP batteries in the new SR+ cars from China fare. Right now there are some unhappy owners, because the charging speed in cold temperatures can be pretty shitty. But I'm not sure if the right-hand drive cars come from China anyways. So you should check that!

I have a 2019 SR+ and I will say there are occasions where I wish it had a big more range, but overall I think it's fantastic. I do trips to and from my parents farm regularly. (almost every week for the past 6 months) and it is 600 KMs away. I have had 0 issues making those trips. For daily use I charge at home via a high power wall connnector I installed in my garage, and range is not a concern at all. Overall I think you'll be extremely happy with an SR+

Hello Dommmmmmmmmmmm,

I have a SR+ for about a year now. Don't have a charger at home (but the possibility to charge for free when shopping). Regularly do trips in the 500+ mile range (Switzerland, Germany and France). Just recently we did a trip to the south of France (750 km each way). We stopped twice, with each drive between chargers about 2.5 hours long.

Overall, in the 15.000 miles we drove this past year, only twice would we have saved a significant amount of time compard to the LR.

5 trips (10 extra charges for the SR+ in the worst case, since it is not guaranteed that your bladder or the LR will make all the trips non-stop either)
Each stop about 20 minutes. So per year you save 100 minutes. Is that worth 5000 pounds?

I'm always surprised how many people own the LR compared to the SR+. If you don't work with your car and need to drive long distances everyday the SR+ is plenty. One thing I would wait for, though, is seeing how the LFP batteries in the new SR+ cars from China fare. Right now there are some unhappy owners, because the charging speed in cold temperatures can be pretty shitty. But I'm not sure if the right-hand drive cars come from China anyways. So you should check that!
I’ve owned an SR+ since May 2019 and put on 18k miles through today (at greatly reduced driving due to COVID). I completely agree with phluppsen. Is the time saved by not charging on a long trip worth the extra cost? I have driven many 500 mile road trips and I am perfectly fine stopping an extra two or three times and I saved a lot of cash. My 98% usage is covered easily by the SR+.

The other things to consider are the nicer sound system (I wish I had this) and higher supercharging speed but that’s faster than the SR+ for a short period of time before it ramps back down, or I think you can charge at 40A at home versus 32A the SR+ is limited too. These items were not worth it to me.

I have a MR, which is the same range as a S+ now.
On the road trip of 700km I usually do. Having a LR won't change the number of stops.
I might have to spend more time than a LR at a Suoer charger, but I think it is negligible.

Unless, there are particular trips which would unfeasable because of lack of range, i would save money..

Thanks all for the awesome and very appreciated feedback, to clarify i will definitely have a home charger installed so day to day isn't the worry.
jjrandorin thanks for the heads up on UK forum and also speedy feedback!
it's nice to know that Ken C also did the same journey in a SR+
ABRP is a great site and worked well, the London to Cornwall journey has 3 chargers over 250 miles which definitely instills confidence. Never knew that journey had so many. i thought only one in Exeter. Thanks again for the insight.

I think my thoughts for longer journeys- having that extra range would definitely appease the anxiety but in the UK at a current additional £6500- which is quite a chunk. But I wonder if five years down the line I wish I had added that, when battery depreciation kicks in. That's the decision to make.

I do completely agree the bottom line it's an incredible car, to drive and in terms of space/practicality. Nothing quite prepares you for the pano roof until you are in it! Thanks again, will keep reading!

Reactions: KenC and Big Earl

View attachment 621583

Thanks for this detailed info Steve. Good job on the trip, that's quite a feat. Definitely much more distance than I'd intend to go, so it's good to know the SR+ makes that possible.
I agree it come down to budget, i don't think i'd be regretful getting that extra range but the price tag associated with it is a chunk of change.
Big thanks

Hello Dommmmmmmmmmmm,

Hey Phluppsen,

Thanks for the detailed reply, and insight in a colder climate. Interesting to know that the car will go 2.5 hours between charges, that's a good insight and for most UK journey's that would be ideal. And also trips to South of France.
I wasn't aware of the LFP batteries and a quick research has made me think maybe hold off a little while before making the leap. I may see if tesla can confirm which batteries it will have in the UK.

Again good to know the car has done the job and then some it sounds!

And That is my main thought will the additional £6,500.00 be worth the extra range!

big thanks Dom

I maybe lose 1 mile per night. He must have some features on like sentry mode draining the battery. 20-25 mile loss per night is not a normal occurrence so don't worry.

As for range, he's not lying. SR+ is realistically a sub 200 mile range car with everyday "real world driving". The new SR+'s with the heat pumps have slightly more range but not a drastic amount. Technically, it is capable of achieving its EPA range, but only under the perfect conditions, and that is unlikely unless you drive the literal speed limit in the city and on the highway all the time with 18 Aero's and no pedal mashing and probably AC off or on 1.

Realistically, you will be running the AC, stomping the pedal a good amount of times and traveling faster than the speed limits. With this, you will not see the EPA range.

Ex: I drove a 145 mile trip to a Supercharger. Started on a 100% charge, 217 miles displayed. Drove ~75 mph on the highway (was still being passed by most cars at this speed). Once I got to the Supercharger I had 44 miles remaining and had driven 145.7 miles so I was basically going to get 190 miles on that charge. If I had driven say 70 or even 65 mph (very slow) I could have gotten maybe 205-220 miles or so. Still not the full 240. I also have 19's (I lose some range) so only the 18's will help you achieve some more range. So ~200 mile drives are achievable in an SR+ with a SC in route, but obviously more leeway with a long range traveling the same distance.

I've also never seen 240 miles displayed or even travelled that far on a single charge.

Having owned an SR+ for 15 months now, it's the greatest car I've ever had, but I would not buy it again. I would get a Long range at the minimum and preferably a dual motor. The extra range, power and sound system is 100% worth the extra cost.

Then you can just keep it for a long time as it's the perfect overall car.

hey,

Thanks again for the insight, 200 mile real world range I think would be absolutely fine. And good to know changing the settings to have 1 mile battery drainage at night would be manageable for sure.
I think in the UK we are used to frost and cold and wet conditions so I'd expect uner the EPA range for sure, but just how much was the golden question.

Thanks again