Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Std - range is now increasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No this is not something Tesla is rolling out but an observation of my 1 year old M3std (220) w/30,000 miles. Over the past year I've seen pretty dramatic range loss and figured it was normal. Considering I'm driving 132 miles a day M-F, i figured I was beating the battery up so range loss is normal. Range went from 240 (before the downgrade to SR), 220 after the downgrade. A week later 216, then 212, 210, 208, 206, 201, etc.. all the way down to 186.5 at 100%. Yeah, sucks.

But as of 2 weeks ago I noticed my range was now heading up. Sort of readjusting itself to where it should be. I signed back up with TeslaFi (had it for a trial period last Nov) and since have been watching my battery graph go up. As of today my range is up to 195.52 @ 100%. I'm in south florida so its always hot. The only change I've made was to stop using AC on auto. I switched it to manual, temp set as LO, and fans steady between 3 and 7 depending on weather.

What's going on here?

You didn't see the memo? Tesla has a team of 3rd shift workers that are sneaking across the U.S. and at night are using GPS location to find each Model 3. When they get to it, they crawl up under it, and add a row of rechargeable double AA batteries by sliding them inside the frame. They connect to the existing battery via BT and boost the range. Now, we warn you. Don't abuse the increased range, because unlikely they will make a second lap just to swap them out once they run down and no longer recharge. You were the last to get this because you live on Mars. We were going to call and tell you, but - well you know why we couldn't. :)

Yo' welcome. :)

Just having a little fun on a slow Tesla news day.

Last edited:
No this is not something Tesla is rolling out but an observation of my 1 year old M3std (220) w/30,000 miles. Over the past year I've seen pretty dramatic range loss and figured it was normal. Considering I'm driving 132 miles a day M-F, i figured I was beating the battery up so range loss is normal. Range went from 240 (before the downgrade to SR), 220 after the downgrade. A week later 216, then 212, 210, 208, 206, 201, etc.. all the way down to 186.5 at 100%. Yeah, sucks.

But as of 2 weeks ago I noticed my range was now heading up. Sort of readjusting itself to where it should be. I signed back up with TeslaFi (had it for a trial period last Nov) and since have been watching my battery graph go up. As of today my range is up to 195.52 @ 100%. I'm in south florida so its always hot. The only change I've made was to stop using AC on auto. I switched it to manual, temp set as LO, and fans steady between 3 and 7 depending on weather.

What's going on here?

Any particular chance you have the car set to 90% instead of some lower number you used to set it at, AND are letting the car sit longer at 90%?

Maybe take a look at Post #109 made by @Zoomit in the following thread?

Tesla Official Statement on Range

batterydeg-.jpg

I've been seeing the same thing. Now, my commute has been eliminated for the last few months (100 miles/day). Have also dropped from 90% to 80% [charge setting] overnight.

100% charge estimate has recovered from a low of near 270 back up to 290. which is not far off the 299 that it should be (M3P). Weather's not that different.

upload_2020-6-24_8-12-49.png

Either buffer creep by the BMS or Tesla moving the goalposts again. Only way to really test it is by actually driving and seeing your true consumption.

To that end I’ve seen mine stay right around ~300 constant with the occasional read to 302. (Charge to 90% daily and keep plugged in after completion)

My direct job wasn't affected by the virus or riots or whatever else happened. My commute remained the same every Monday through Friday - The changes I'm seeing in the graph are reflected in actual driving range. I leave with 90% and get home now with 26% where it used to be about 13%. Maybe Tesla suck a solar panel in that glass roof somewhere and just now activated it? I typically lose 8% while parked due to sentry + overheat protection. Not complaining at all.

If I were to guess, "something" was wrong that finally got corrected without your knowledge. Whether this was cell imbalance or calibration, who knows, but my money is on either one of those.

Something interesting I read recently on here is that the BMS needs a rest period before and after a drive in order to calibrate properly (or at least, that was my interpretation, and it makes some sense). Potentially with the driving and sentry usage, it was never getting a rest period and was lacking calibration. Perhaps a software change helped it rest more. Perhaps a personal change helped it rest more. I don't know. This is all guessing!