Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 superchargeable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could say so much, truly... but let me reiterate my previous statement... "shame on you if you're one of these people."

If you cannot afford the gas to go in your gas-guzzler, you cannot afford your gas-guzzler. If you cannot afford the Electricity to go into your EV, you cannot afford your EV. If you aren't honest to pay for the Electricity your Tesla requires, you don't deserve to have one. Naturally, I do support people using the Supercharger network to extend their driving range from their home.

Abuse of the system will get privileges taken away. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I've done the math, with my commute (40 miles round trip, 4 days/week), and my electricity rate (.13/kWH), it should cost me around $34.40/month in power at my house.....or in other terms, about HALF (give or take, depending on the generosity or our benevolent oil baron overlords on any given day...) what I would pay to fill my ICE.

But I live in an area with decent SC coverage (New England) and the wife and I like to take short trips. So yes, I may occasionally charge up less than 50 miles from my house, but that's because I'm coming back from somewhere. That's what EM wants, right? The freedom to not be tied down to being a "city car"?

Also, we're in MA and the in-laws are in VA, so we'll definitely be using the SC's along the I95 corridor twice a year (or more....)

Sure, it will take quite some time to recoup the costs of making the jump to an EV, but the daily expenses will go down almost immediately. On longer trips, the "savings" will pile up a little faster.

If my $220K/yr household can afford the electricity at home, I'm guessing the type of people who can afford a Model S can afford it, too. :wink:

This probably has already been stated multiple in these forums, but as I was browsing through the design studio for the Model S last week, I noticed that as a standard option it listed "Free long distance travel on the Supercharger network". I'm pretty sure those specific words were used for a reason. It's likely that it's gonna be a matter of when and not if they are going to crack down on people using the SC stations for local travel.

I've done the math, with my commute (40 miles round trip, 4 days/week), and my electricity rate (.13/kWH), it should cost me around $34.40/month in power at my house.....or in other terms, about HALF (give or take, depending on the generosity or our benevolent oil baron overlords on any given day...) what I would pay to fill my ICE.

But I live in an area with decent SC coverage (New England) and the wife and I like to take short trips. So yes, I may occasionally charge up less than 50 miles from my house, but that's because I'm coming back from somewhere. That's what EM wants, right? The freedom to not be tied down to being a "city car"?

Also, we're in MA and the in-laws are in VA, so we'll definitely be using the SC's along the I95 corridor twice a year (or more....)

Sure, it will take quite some time to recoup the costs of making the jump to an EV, but the daily expenses will go down almost immediately. On longer trips, the "savings" will pile up a little faster.

If my $220K/yr household can afford the electricity at home, I'm guessing the type of people who can afford a Model S can afford it, too. :wink:

This couldn't be stated better, but I'll add to it anyways... cause I like to talk, haha.

I agree to a person using any supercharger that they find themselves at, IF their will not otherwise have enough energy to Tesla will not otherwise make it home.

I'm going to go against most people's opinions here and say it won't have Supercharging or it'll be an option. Supercharging is an incredible feature, but I could see a lot of potential model S/X customers being turned off at the idea that they have to wait in line to use a supercharger. It already happened with just model S's at several superchargers so it will only get much worse with the Model 3.

I own the Model S and charge at home 90% of the time, but if I'm making a road trip somewhere and find myself waiting on line at every Supercharger just to charge up, I'd end up renting an ICE car next time.

That or Tesla better triple the Supercharger network by the time the Model 3 comes out.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against most people's opinions here and say it won't have Supercharging or it'll be an option. Supercharging is an incredible feature, but I could see a lot of potential model S/X customers being turned off at the idea that they have to wait in line to use a supercharger. It already happened with just model S's at several superchargers so it will only get much worse with the Model 3.

I own the Model S and charge at home 90% of the time, but if I'm making a road trip somewhere and find myself waiting on line at every Supercharger just to charge up, I'd end up renting an ICE car next time.

I tend to agree; it will be an option. Tesla can use several modes of charging, like destination 80 amp, RV parks, etc., so supercharging isn't absolutely vital.

But, that being said, after driving over 100,000 miles in a Model S, I only found myself waiting once for supercharging. And that was for only three minutes. I find driving an ICE car a lot more inconvenient than that.

Note 1: This is not an attack on the author of this comment, but rather an open question.
Note 2: At the risk of coming across as the jerk of the forum, I will address the quote above.

Does anyone truly think that their ability to afford a Model S/X provides them the only right to the Supercharger network?

With this logic, every person driving a Civic/Jetta/Camaro/F150/you name it... would be making their own gas at home.

Gas stations are not just for Lamborghinis.

Superchargers are not just for Model S/X.

Supercharger access, included by default, is absolutely vital in convincing those who would have bought a Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata, Optima, or 6 to move up to a Model ≡. People who are buying new cars, as opposed to used, at the $35,000+ price point will very often have a means to charge at home. If theirs is a working Family with Children, they may not take road trips over 500 miles at all currently, but might be encouraged to try it two or three times per year in a Tesla Motors product.

The allure of greatly improved performance and driving enjoyment, along with 'free' fuel may be far more compelling than the notion of buying Premium fuel for a Lexus, AUDI, BMW, Jaguar, or Mercedes-Benz. Let's face it, other than rear wheel drive and the emblem, why should anyone pay the $12,000 premium to get a BMW 320i instead of a Camry LE or Accord LX? An ICE is an ICE. Entry level 'luxury' cars are generally no better equipped than top-of-the-line 'Normal' cars.

Last edited:
Does anyone truly think that their ability to afford a Model S/X provides them the only right to the Supercharger network?

I agree with what you're saying, but Tesla is only around because of the high priced sales of their Roadster and Model S/X. Tesla almost went out of business 3 times before the introduction of the Model S. If the Model 3 has a supercharger, then I really hope Tesla plans on tripling the network by release.

If the Model 3 has a supercharger, then I really hope Tesla plans on tripling the network by release.
One of the worst things about traditional automobile manufacturers is that they go out of their way to make electric vehicle ownership as inconvenient as possible. Having no DC fast charging at all, or making it optional, while having no consistently available means to economically charge in public are among the standard compromises they set upon potential buyers. Others are weirdmobile styling, short range, pathetic performance, and substandard accoutrements for the price point. Tesla Motors seeks to avoid all of those standard issue compromises in favor of making 'Real Cars' that run on electricity instead. Their cars must be obviously, immediately, and plainly 'BETTER' -- or the entire exercise is doomed to failure. Suggestions that they cut back, hold back, or limit the potential of their future cars will only cause fewer of them to be bought. This isn't about exclusivity. It is an attempt to make electric vehicles ubiquitous. It isn't about mediocrity. This is about exhorting boundless excellence. So, yeah... Expect Tesla Motors to continually expand their Supercharger network for the sake if Distance, Density, and providing service to ALL their future Customers in a convenient fashion.

One of the worst things about traditional automobile manufacturers is that they go out of their way to make electric vehicle ownership as inconvenient as possible. Having no DC fast charging at all, or making it optional, while having no consistently available means to economically charge in public are among the standard compromises they set upon potential buyers. Others are weirdmobile styling, short range, pathetic performance, and substandard accoutrements for the price point. Tesla Motors seeks to avoid all of those standard issue compromises in favor of making 'Real Cars' that run on electricity instead. Their cars must be obviously, immediately, and plainly 'BETTER' -- or the entire exercise is doomed to failure. Suggestions that they cut back, hold back, or limit the potential of their future cars will only cause fewer of them to be bought. This isn't about exclusivity. It is an attempt to make electric vehicles ubiquitous. It isn't about mediocrity. This is about exhorting boundless excellence. So, yeah... Expect Tesla Motors to continually expand their Supercharger network for the sake if Distance, Density, and providing service to ALL their future Customers in a convenient fashion.

EXACTLY!!!!! when i look at the i3 and even some aspects of the Bolt and Leaf, I just feel like they aren't serious about selling these cars. I'm shocked the BMW, a company that makes beautiful cars throughout their entire lineup also made the i3.

Didn't even think about that. Very true. I paid for the Fast Charger in my i3 and never used it once in the 2 years I had the car.

As for the Supercharging network: If it takes me 10 stops at Superchargers to get to a far away location, there better be 20+ along the way. Right now you can barely skip one.

Last edited:
Superchargers in many locations are scale-able.

Paint some more lines, drop in another transformer, throw in some more poles, and *poof* increased capacity.

That being said, I think they want to concentrate on filling some coverage gaps, as well as adding capacity.

Bonus of switching to EV:
No longer will I be at the mercy on a long trip, of having to wait for some guy to pump my gas for me on the NJ Turnpike.

Of the 250+ Supercharger locations in the US, I believe that only one of them has had repeated reports of a 'local' someone repeatedly 'hogging' a Supercharger stall. That was San Juan Capistrano.
  • Some locations have been crowded when there was a long weekend.
  • A handful are reported by some as 'always full' while others say the same spots are 'always empty'. It seems to depend upon one's perspective and driving habits.
  • The worst cases have been when there was a power outage at a Supercharger, and Tesla Motors towed cars to the next one, and/or set up portable units that were powered by diesel generators.
Overall? Few, and far between. Those who complain mostly are those who project future problems 'if' the Supercharger network were to not expand any further from today. The same folk who won't acknowledge there is no indication it will ever stop expanding. So, they demand exclusivity, or fees, to lessen their perceived notion of imminent disaster -- some day -- after the release of Model ≡.

Of the 250+ Supercharger locations in the US, I believe that only one of them has had repeated reports of a 'local' someone repeatedly 'hogging' a Supercharger stall. That was San Juan Capistrano.
  • Some locations have been crowded when there was a long weekend.
  • A handful are reported by some as 'always full' while others say the same spots are 'always empty'. It seems to depend upon one's perspective and driving habits.
  • The worst cases have been when there was a power outage at a Supercharger, and Tesla Motors towed cars to the next one, and/or set up portable units that were powered by diesel generators.
Overall? Few, and far between. Those who complain mostly are those who project future problems 'if' the Supercharger network were to not expand any further from today. The same folk who won't acknowledge there is no indication it will ever stop expanding. So, they demand exclusivity, or fees, to lessen their perceived notion of imminent disaster -- some day -- after the release of Model ≡.

Another thing to note, the Supercharger spread in the northern half of the country probably takes a break for winter (I haven't been following it that closely for that long), but I would expect in the next 30-60 days to start seeing more "permit" sites on supercharge.info, before another wave of construction starts up this spring.

Even as of today, there really isn't anywhere I would go that isn't within SC range, even if the battery range of the car is ~200 miles. I'm Elon's dream....if I buy a Model 3, I'll be upgrading the battery pack out of piece of mind (annnnddd maybe performance.... :wink: ) instead of actual necessity.

I will be keeping a close watch on the supercharger map over the course of the next two years as I wait for my 3. I should be back in Texas by the time it releases. I am hopeful that by the time I get a Model 3 that I might be able to drive it from DFW to Snyder, TX (need the Texas I20 East/West corridor filled in for that).

Even if they haven't filled in I20 by the time I get my 3, I will still opt for a supercharger "just in case".