Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Member here!
My 2019 Model 3 needs tires, and Tesla is quoting $1700 bucks. I've found other EV tires at Good Year and Mavis, and they're nearly 700-850 less. What are the drawbacks to not using Tesla? If I use a third party, will they be able to calibrate my TPMS and all that?

I might also need brakes and I'm wondering if I get the tires done somewhere, will Tesla still do the brakes?

Thanks for your opinions.

You don’t need to go to Tesla for tires. Any reputable shop should be able to put new tires on a Tesla. I personally just got my first set of replacement tires at Discount Tire, for my 2021 Model 3. They did a fantastic job, and I got a very good price.
If you’re using regenerative braking, aka one pedal driving, I doubt you’re ready for new brakes. They may just need a service to clean and lube which can be done via Tesla mobile service.

There is zero benefit to buying tires from Tesla.

It's worse than that - there's negative benefit. Wait 2 weeks and pay twice as much.

Same for the brakes, really. Out of curiosity - how many miles does your car have? I'm at 52k miles and my pass are like new.

Shops *do* need to lift the car by the lift points, preferably with jack pads. I keep my own in under trunk. Might be worth mentioning to whoever you bring it to.

Reactions: E90alex
Get better tires and save your rims in the process. What size rims do you have and what kind of weather do you drive in? Central Florida you probably want summer tires year round; there are fantastic, quiet tires available in 245mm and 255mm section widths that will blow away the OEM tires. Some cost half what you have been quoted; none cost $1700 for 4.

Get better tires and save your rims in the process. What size rims do you have and what kind of weather do you drive in? Central Florida you probably want summer tires year round; there are fantastic, quiet tires available in 245mm and 255mm section widths that will blow away the OEM tires. Some cost half what you have been quoted; none cost $1700 for 4.
Yes, I'm looking for tires that are good in wet weather - I've got 18in Rims.

It's worse than that - there's negative benefit. Wait 2 weeks and pay twice as much.

Same for the brakes, really. Out of curiosity - how many miles does your car have? I'm at 52k miles and my pass are like new.

Shops *do* need to lift the car by the lift points, preferably with jack pads. I keep my own in under trunk. Might be worth mentioning to whoever you bring it to.
57k miles
Funny - yes, I'm thinking $1700 is absolutely insane but I wasn't sure if there was something special I needed to consider.
Thank you for the tip about the lift point.

I have a ton of great things to say about the Michelin Defender 2 tires. They have a long warranty (80,000 miles) and I have put on about 35,000 miles on my set and am still measuring 7-8/32" of remaining tread left...If you buy the softer "Summer" type tires, the tread will wear much faster...

People seem to love their Hankook Ion Evo AS tires, but if you wanted to go up 10mm and potentially get a bit better traction & rim protection, the Continental DWS06+ is a great tire. Defenders will last forever but you give up a bit of grip to do so. Either way it's going to be less than $1700 mounted and balanced.