Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to get chademo adaptor 'soon'

Do you plan to get a chademo adaptor when it is released?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Is the adapter available yet in the Japanese store? I'm sure we'd hear about it if it was...

>The Tesla website is a bit more vague when it comes to the timeline for Hong Kong, Macau and Japan orders, only noting that it will start deliveries in those regions sometime in the third quarter.

Couldn't find the store or any reference to a Model 3 specific adapter. Though I found some references to what I think is the S and X chademo adapter.

Interestingly enough they seem to be selling the SR+ and Performance and not AWD non-performance or RWD LR. And for the performance you can get it with 18 inch wheels and there's a separate performance upgrade package. Also no white interior.

Whether or not the existing CHAdeMO adapter for the S and X will ever work on the 3 is still unknown.

I still can't see any reason it shouldn't but if it was something that didn't require a hardware change Tesla would surely have done it by now, so there must be some important difference with the 3s that makes the existing hardware not work. I just can't imagine what that would be.

I still can't see any reason it shouldn't but if it was something that didn't require a hardware change Tesla would surely have done it by now, so there must be some important difference with the 3s that makes the existing hardware not work. I just can't imagine what that would be.
I was under the impression it was due to the model 3 battery being sightly different and thus the adapter which is optimized for the S and X battery isn't 'safe' (or at least not validated) to work at moderating the charge rate to the 3 batteries.

If that indeed is true, it would also imply that the refresh S may not work with the chademo adaptor (or maybe I'm confused and it's just the motors from the 3 in the S refresh, and not motors + battery?)

Reactions: Vawlkus
I was under the impression it was due to the model 3 battery being sightly different and thus the adapter which is optimized for the S and X battery isn't 'safe' (or at least not validated) to work at moderating the charge rate to the 3 batteries.

If that indeed is true, it would also imply that the refresh S may not work with the chademo adaptor (or maybe I'm confused and it's just the motors from the 3 in the S refresh, and not motors + battery?)

The battery pack is supposed to be the same. The first Raven cars we've seen appear to have a new "E" version of the 100 pack, which may or may not be anything significant. They've announced a higher max charge rate for v3 on Raven cars, but there's no reason to think that's related to the pack - more likely changes to the cabling and/or chargeport.

The pack is different in the 3 than the S/X. But voltage is voltage, and current is current. The adapter is just interpreting the car's requests to the DCFC station.

I would have thought the difference between what a 100 needs and what the lower voltage, lower capacity 75 pack would be bigger than the difference to the LR 3 pack that has the same voltage as the 100, and the existing adapter works fine on both the 100 and the 75 S and X.